Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Finding photos outside of iPhoto

Finding photos outside of iPhoto
Jeepguy01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 05:28 AM

Hey all,

After making the switch, I've found everything about my iMac flawless, but with one maddening exception: finding photos outside of iPhoto. If I want to send a photo as an attachment in an e-mail or browse through photos in Finder, I have to go through a numerical labrynth of folders that have no rhyme nor reason to their organization. Attempts to rearrange or organize the folders has resulted in the termination of the photos altogether. My girlfriend, who switched to a Powerbook, has had similar difficulties.

Does anybody else have this problem? Does anybody have any solutions or tricks? I've just started dragging the photos from iPhoto to my desktop and uploading them as attachments from there, but it shouldn't be so difficult. Why didn't Apple find a better way to organize the photos?

I appreciate any help and/or comments! Thanks!

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 3, 2005, 05:48 AM

do you mean the folder structure of iPhoto?
why don't you just use the 'Email' button on iPhoto?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 05:59 AM

Well the email button doesn't work with webmail. It would be great if someone built a gmail (or hotmail etc.) plugin for iPhoto. The gmail support in Picasa is nice.

As for finding them, the quickest way is as you say - find them in iPhoto and drag them to the desktop or right-click and choose 'show in Finder'. That's what i do, and then use an Automator workflow to scale the images before emailing them.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2005, 12:19 PM

Drag the photo straight from iPhoto into the "open" dialog box when you're choosing a file to send. That's probably the easiest way. In the future, browsing the iPhoto library will hopefully be added as an option in all file Open dialogs (like it is already in Pages and in the Desktop setup preferences pane).

Agreed, a Gmail export plugin would be nice. However, did you know you can send and receive your Gmail via your Mail app? Even if you don't normally do it that way, you could still set it up for mailing photos straight from iPhoto.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 02:42 PM

the rhyme or reason to iPhoto's folder structure is the date. at work right now, so not sure of the order, but i'm pretty sure it is year/month/day (2005/12/03).

but anyway. the problem with dragging them to your desktop is that you will drag the fullsize image and that's rather large to email.
apple + shift + e or [some menu option] > export, and then you will be able to export them to your desktop and have iphoto scale them for you, saving you the automator step.

if you keyword your photos you can use spotlight to find them also.
all of my photos are keyworded by who is in the photo and the city they were taken in. a search in spotlight of one of these keywords will bring up all the photos.

Forum Links
Forum Rules