Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > XP running flawlessly on my Core Duo

XP running flawlessly on my Core Duo
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 06:13 PM

So I found a program 'QEMU' for mac, and it is essentially an open source emulator that let you run windows on a PPC Mac. However, they have just released a universal binary.

While this is a UB, it does not allow windows to run nativley on my Intel iMac, however it does run much faster than on a PPC mac.

Due to the new nature of the UB version, there are bugs in the program; the main one being an error coming up when trying to install XP.

The workaround:

Get the windows version of QEMU, and create a guest PC in that. You can then transfer that image to the Intel Mac, and it will work!! The main problem was that I only have an old Pentium 3 650 Mhz PC, and to install XP, it took... wait for it.... 9.5 hours!!!!!!! BUT, it was worth it, and I now have XP running on my Core Duo.

I can say that it runs faster than my P3 650 mhz, with 512 RAM allocated to the virtual PC. When booting up windows in the program, it takes around 15-20 seconds.

The internet worked straight away with no setup - it just piggy backs off of my iMacs connection much like VPC7.

There are a few gripes: No USB support yet, and I haven't yet got sound to work, though I admit I haven't played with it much. Also, there is no 'drag and drop' feature like in Virtual PC, so a bit of a pain. None-the-less, its great for what I need it for, and I can finally say I have windows on my Mac!

(its incredible, really, that I have the amazing OSX to use, and I have spent the entire day getting crappy windows to run on it.... Oh well, the world we live in unfortunatly makes some of us need this awful piece of M$ software....)

Screenshot of XP on my 1.83 Core Duo

[removed oversize image. interesting topic or not, you still have to follow the rules. --tooki]

[replaced image; size now within forum limits]

Here is a link to a larger image:

( Last edited by harrisjamieh; Feb 22, 2006 at 04:47 PM. )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 07:02 PM

can you give the url of where you got the qemu program? i was looking at

http://www.openosx.com/wintel/index.html

and i'm intrigued by thir product, especially with their claim of winXP booting in about 30 seconds.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

baw
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
can you give the url of where you got the qemu program? i was looking at

http://www.openosx.com/wintel/index.html

and i'm intrigued by thir product, especially with their claim of winXP booting in about 30 seconds.
OpenOSX is bad. Stay away from them.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2006, 08:22 PM

Can you do some benchmarks in it to see just how fast it is? Try running an app like this:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/.../CPUMark.shtml

Also, does it have native graphics card support yet? That's the main thing I want from a VM or emulator.

dkwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 11:14 PM

I've found a couple of issues with it. First is the included Pinball game doesn't seem to work correctly. It starts up with an error, but eventually lets you into the game. However, even after starting a game, the ball never pops up, so you can't play. Secondly, and more importantly for me, Microsoft Money installs successfully, but crashes on startup. It's a great accomplishment, but I think it still has a ways to go before becoming fully usable.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 02:48 AM

Yeh, STAY away from Wintel - not good!

I will post some benchmarks later when I have time (after school )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 02:56 AM

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 20, 2006, 10:55 AM

Isn't there a contest going on here? Did you win?
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by damnyooneek
Seconded. Give Q a try.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by badnewsblair
Isn't there a contest going on here? Did you win?
He did not boot Windows.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 20, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
There are a few gripes: No USB support yet, and I haven't yet got sound to work...]
I can't say that I agree this constitutes "XP running flawlessly."

torifile
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 12:52 PM

Can you actually install stuff and USE it? I had no luck getting stuff actually running after installing it using 2000.

ciparis
Feb 20, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
He did not boot Windows.
Not required -- that's a different contest. There's a virtual-machine type contest here:
http://www.runxponmac.com/

That said, it'd be the Q author (Mike Kronenberg) who may end up getting the win on that one (or whoever produces the first working code that manages a full installation from CD -- and they're getting close). Fixing the failed directory problem on XP's installation is the main thing holding it back right now, and he's working on it. A number of people have reported running Win98, Win2k, and WinXP (though XP has only happened via transplant so far) over the last week or so.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 04:21 PM

Q doesn't do virtualization at this point. It does emulation. There's a difference.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2006, 06:02 PM

The big downside with Q at the moment is the need for a PC to do the XP install on first. Using a XP install directly in to Q using a XP CD just crashes and burns at the moment. they need to mention this on the OSX Q site, I only found out after failing about 3 times, then asking on the forum.

How OpenOSX's WinTel is managing, which is supposedly using the Q core. Is anyone's guess.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 06:23 PM

I guess I failed to mention that I got Windows 2000 to run on Q. I was trying Windows XP but quit in the middle of it to do some Java work in Eclipse (it was suckin' some CPU during the installation). I'm impressed so far (taking into account I'm playing with it on my 'ol TiBook) and see quite a bit of potential with Q (especially if/when virtualization works and I score an Intel MP/MPB in the next few months).

Voch

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I can't say that I agree this constitutes "XP running flawlessly."
werd.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 21, 2006, 09:59 AM

xp is one big flaw imo

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
The big downside with Q at the moment is the need for a PC to do the XP install on first. Using a XP install directly in to Q using a XP CD just crashes and burns at the moment. they need to mention this on the OSX Q site, I only found out after failing about 3 times, then asking on the forum.
Fyi, I got Win2k3Server installed using Q on My G5. I dunno if that makes much difference, but there was no need for a Mac.

Why server? Because I didnt have a XP disc within reach :-)

torifile
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

Installed and working are 2 different things. Has anyone been able to get software working that wasn't pre-installed? Like I said, the installation of both firefox and quicken worked for me, but neither of them actually launched. I'm really curious about this.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 12:10 PM

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/vmware/

We now have Windows XP running on the Intel-based Macintosh — as a guest operating system under the Linux version of VMware. This is quite exciting and promising, especially since the performance of Windows XP seems quite amazing (based on our limited test run so far) — mind you, the kernel and the environment we are using experimental and unoptimized, so it would not be unreasonable to expect even better performance.

To anybody who has used Windows XP under Virtual PC on the PowerPC version of Mac OS X: you will simply be blown away by how fast Windows XP runs under VMware on the new hardware.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 12:14 PM

it's progress for the Linux folks at least.

dkwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by torifile
Installed and working are 2 different things. Has anyone been able to get software working that wasn't pre-installed? Like I said, the installation of both firefox and quicken worked for me, but neither of them actually launched. I'm really curious about this.
No, I'm in the same boat as you. I can't get Microsoft Money to start up even though it installed correctly. Q still has a ways to go before being useable.

kick52
Baninated
Feb 22, 2006, 04:18 PM

repost your screenshot as a link.

kick52
Baninated
Mar 22, 2006, 09:51 AM

sorry, where did you get QUEM? QEUM?

i'll google it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 01:31 PM

no usb support or sound? doesnt sound too flawless to me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 01:51 PM

Get Q here.

You want the latest unstable build if you want to install XP (which apparently now works without the need for any workarounds like installing on a PC or PPC mac first).

kick52
Baninated
Mar 22, 2006, 03:04 PM

wow!

so all i need is to download a 3mb file and i can run win98 on my mac?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 03:17 PM

In emulation, yes. And of course you'll need Windows 98.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 03:55 PM

Maybe not Win 98 - that also posed installation problems for Q/QEMU on the Mac intels. I don't know if they have fixed the 98 install yet.

kick52
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 05:19 AM

i got windows 98 to install (by a restore disc)

but when it starts up, i get stuck after the logo.

there is a DOS cursor in the top left corner. just like on my pc.

i dont think i have waited enough though, yet

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006, 08:58 AM

I played with Q yesterday and noticed it had an option to import a PC from VPC. Win 98 imported and works fine, but doing the same thing for XP didn't work

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

kick52
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 03:35 PM

i can start it up in safe mode, but no joy in normal.

peoplecallmecrazy
Mar 31, 2006, 07:46 AM

I installed the new OpenOSx 2.1.3 with WinXp with no problem, took only about 50 min now, but how did you get the network working? I use MacBook pro 1.83 mhz with 1.5 gb RAM. Have tried alla settings possible in the WinXP. Is there settings to be done in MacOSX for it?

applesnapple
Mar 31, 2006, 04:03 PM

Has anyone tried "Narf and Blanka" 's solution? HOw stable is it- is it good enough to use it as a primary computer?

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by applesnapple
Has anyone tried "Narf and Blanka" 's solution? HOw stable is it- is it good enough to use it as a primary computer?
You mean the XP on Mac solution that came out a while ago? I've been running XP nearly flawlessly for some time now using the xom.efi file and the custom XP disc. The only real drawback is the lack of video card drivers. Other than that, it works perfectly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules