Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 12)
wowway1
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 12:46 PM

any store sightings?

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 12:46 PM

Just a note for those of you wanting to throw battery life estimates up there right away. Look at page 24 of you're User's Guide. The section is titled "Calibrating Your Battery".

It states:
"To get the longest running time from your battery, calibrate it sometime during the first week you have your MacBook Pro and repeat these steps occasionally to keep your battery functioning at its fullest capacity."

Maybe we can hold off on giving battery estimates before we have done the calibration process or at least make not of whether or not you have done it.

FYI here is the process in summary:
1. Fully charge.
2. Keep it on power for 2 hours or more with full charge.
3. Disconnect power.
4. Let it drain until it goes to sleep.
5. Turn off or let it sleep for 5 hours or longer.
6. Connect power and let it fully recharge.

Says to repeat this process "occasionally" and suggests doing this once a month if you use your MacBook Pro infrequently (hahaha who would think of using this beauty infrequently).

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:03 PM

I just received my 2.16 w/ 100gb/7200rpm drive. It's charging right now. Any requests? Benchmarks, etc.?

hmp
Feb 21, 2006, 01:06 PM

How's wireless reception (if you have another machine to compare it to)?

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:09 PM

Received mine as well (started this thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=286520)

Here are my pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwana/s...7594068058793/

Xbench output:
http://www.braytek.com/macbookpro_xbench.txt

That's it so far, still playing
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

xman2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:12 PM

One quick note; the screen is VERY nice. I am sitting in my office and with my Macbook sitting next to my PC the laptop is much brighter. I glance over at the PC at incoming emails and it is like looking into a dimly lit room! Not very scientfic but it is amusing!
-stephen

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
Just a note for those of you wanting to throw battery life estimates up there right away. Look at page 24 of you're User's Guide. The section is titled "Calibrating Your Battery".

It states:
"To get the longest running time from your battery, calibrate it sometime during the first week you have your MacBook Pro and repeat these steps occasionally to keep your battery functioning at its fullest capacity."

Maybe we can hold off on giving battery estimates before we have done the calibration process or at least make not of whether or not you have done it.

FYI here is the process in summary:
1. Fully charge.
2. Keep it on power for 2 hours or more with full charge.
3. Disconnect power.
4. Let it drain until it goes to sleep.
5. Turn off or let it sleep for 5 hours or longer.
6. Connect power and let it fully recharge.

Says to repeat this process "occasionally" and suggests doing this once a month if you use your MacBook Pro infrequently (hahaha who would think of using this beauty infrequently).
Correct me if I'm wrong -- but isn't this new? The 2 hour/5 hour bit? I don't recall seeing that in previous manuals.

If that's right, then it sounds like lithium polymer requires a little bit more care and maintenance than lithium ion...
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Any of you seen this yet?

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/20...enchmarks.html

Dang these things look fast. You lucky dawgs.
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I'm fairly clueless what most of the numbers mean. I'm sure someone can translate. I do have a question regarding the System Version number "10.4.5 (8G1453)". What is the "(8G1453)" part? Anybody??

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:23 PM

It is just the "build number" and the only reason it is different than the other computer's "10.4.5" system is because this is the Intel version of Mac OS X, otherwise it would be identical.
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

aSwindler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:32 PM

Just got my 2.0 today. 7 days earlier than Apple's estimated ship date (which to be fair was pushed back 2 weeks last week). Day earlier than FedEx's estimates. Not much time to play yet. Damn, I need to take the day off! I didn't upgrade to the 2.16 since I assumed that would push it back another week or two. Seems like people are getting those as well. Oh well, still faster than I thought it would be, and I doubt an extra .16 ghz would matter much for what I'm doing. I imagine this should be just a bit faster than the 667 Ti it's replacing!

Most of my perspective will come from comparing it to a June 2004 Dual 2.0 G5 and my new Athlon 64 XP 2.2Ghz PeeCee gamer. So far Safari is blazingly quick and the network set-up was super easy. This is my first test of G equipment on my Belkin pre-MIMO router and it's damn quick.

One odd thing is that they've done away with setting your time zone in the initial start-up assistant. It defaults to Cupertino. Obviously not hard to change, but it's a pretty basic thing people shouldn't have to dig for.

So far this is by far Apple's best styrofoam. I will post back with more thoughts as they come.

aSwindler
( Last edited by aSwindler; Feb 21, 2006 at 01:40 PM. )

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by iobuffa
Received mine as well (started this thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=286520)

Here are my pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwana/s...7594068058793/

Xbench output:
http://www.braytek.com/macbookpro_xbench.txt

That's it so far, still playing
Excellent. Thank you. How did you do the heat areas thing? I'm impressed. Anyway, it's Volcano hot on the speakers area, eh? That's kinda scary wouldn't you all say?

aSwindler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by John123
Correct me if I'm wrong -- but isn't this new? The 2 hour/5 hour bit? I don't recall seeing that in previous manuals.

If that's right, then it sounds like lithium polymer requires a little bit more care and maintenance than lithium ion...
This may not have been standard Apple protocol, but I replaced my TiBook's battery with a NewerTech one at some point and they recommended a similar process. In fact, they said to do it 5 times in a row when the battery was new and then once a month regardless. Though I don't believe actually shutting it off was a part of that process.

aSwindler

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by hmp
Did any of you that are going to receive your MBP soon order the 1.67 (now 1.83) model? Or are these all 2.0's/2.16's?

I want my 1.83 to ship!
Me too, man! I'd like to see benchmarks etc on the 1.83GHz for sure. Anybody??

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by aSwindler
Just got my 2.0 today. ... I didn't upgrade to the 2.16 since I assumed that would push it back another week or two. Seems like people are getting those as well. Oh well, still faster than I thought it would be, and I doubt an extra .16 ghz would matter much for what I'm doing. I imagine this should be just a bit faster than the 667 Ti it's replacing!
Absolutely. The difference between the fastest (2.16) and the slowest (1.83) is 18.0%, and that is a maximum theoretical difference. Only when doing 100% CPU-bound tasks will you see tasks finish faster by that percentage. For most of your day to day operations, and interacting with the UI, the actual difference is much less.

I always buy the slowest model of PowerBook (err, now MacBook) available and upgrade frequently. The $300 that you saved (and $800 that I saved) is something that I treat as extra money to justify more frequent upgrades. That kind of plan is not for everyone, but since the bottom-of-the-line models will depreciate the least amount in dollar terms from revision to revision, it's easy to justify a perpetual upgrade cycle for a bare minimum investment.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BroadwayTJ
Me too, man! I'd like to see benchmarks etc on the 1.83GHz for sure. Anybody??
It does not look like the 1.83 machines (previously 1.67) are shipping yet. I ordered mine on February 13th with delivery date of March 14th and the status has not changed.

I upgraded my shipping to 2 day yesterday hopping it would bump me up in the line.

My machine is just standard with no BTO options other than Applecare.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

aSwindler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by John123
Absolutely. The difference between the fastest (2.16) and the slowest (1.83) is 18.0%, and that is a maximum theoretical difference. Only when doing 100% CPU-bound tasks will you see tasks finish faster by that percentage. For most of your day to day operations, and interacting with the UI, the actual difference is much less.

I always buy the slowest model of PowerBook (err, now MacBook) available and upgrade frequently. The $300 that you saved (and $800 that I saved) is something that I treat as extra money to justify more frequent upgrades. That kind of plan is not for everyone, but since the bottom-of-the-line models will depreciate the least amount in dollar terms from revision to revision, it's easy to justify a perpetual upgrade cycle for a bare minimum investment.
Yeah that's a good plan. I hung onto my 667 TiBook for waaaaaaay too long (more than 4 years and still kicking quite nicely - I'll give it to my dad and see how much longer it lasts). I never regretted getting the top end one back then, but it did run hot and the fan kicks on more often than the slower one I'm sure. That is probably more of a concern than the actual speed for most of what I'm doing now.

aSwindler

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:45 PM

From the benchmarks coming in so far, regardless of what PowerBook you are upgrading from, at least everyday computing like Safari, iApps and Finder will be much quicker. Now to figure out how much of a hit we will be taking with Rosetta and all the non-native apps out there . . . I think if you are a pro user you might be a little bitter with the current situation . . .

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by aSwindler
One odd thing is that they've done away with setting your time zone in the initial start-up assistant. It defaults to Cupertino. Obviously not hard to change, but it's a pretty basic thing people shouldn't have to dig for.
Perhaps you were clicking at too feverish a pace to get into your new baby. Mine brought up the usual dialogue during setup that asked for time zone and to set the clock/calendar.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 02:15 PM

It came. It died.

Dead On Arrival
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
It does not look like the 1.83 machines (previously 1.67) are shipping yet. I ordered mine on February 13th with delivery date of March 14th and the status has not changed.

I upgraded my shipping to 2 day yesterday hopping it would bump me up in the line.

My machine is just standard with no BTO options other than Applecare.
Hey, thats the exact plan I have John Its good to hear someone else has the same crazy diabolical thinking that I do.

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

Frontrow "tearing" issue on Macbook Pro as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwana/102676550/
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by terigox
Hey, thats the exact plan I have John Its good to hear someone else has the same crazy diabolical thinking that I do.
I've done it with great success for a few years now. I've lived near major cities on both coasts, and I've gotten great value for my used laptops on Craigslist. One of my favorite features of the perpetual upgrade cycle is you get to start the warranty clock ticking all over again.

It is a little bit of a hassle, but to me, it's well worth it.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 02:25 PM

Does anyone know definitively whether or not the memory for the 1.67 and 1.83 is the same as that for the 2.0 and 2.16?

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 02:29 PM

It's been confirmed that the 10.4.5 update fixes the tearing on the iMac.....did this user do the software update?

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 02:32 PM

he shouldn't have to update to 10.4.5, it should have shipped with it already . . .

and it actually has been confirmed, since in his same set of flickr photos, the about this mac info is posted showing system 10.4.5 is running . . .

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 02:33 PM

hmmm...well...I'll find out when I get home....tick tick tick tick 5 yet?

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hachimachi
Does anyone know definitively whether or not the memory for the 1.67 and 1.83 is the same as that for the 2.0 and 2.16?
I'm pretty sure it is, Crucial.com has the ram types on there if you want to double check.

drewgolden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 02:41 PM

MBP First Impressions.

Fast.

After 1 hour, not too hot to touch (warm.)

Copied iTunes music over network (40gb) and is fine.

Runs office fine. Blazingly fast.

Running software update at the moment.

Sole issue found so far: Trash bin appears full even after emptying. Have to open and touch trash and then it updates to empty.

Will continue playing.

drew
---------------------------------------------------------
On the road: MB Pro 2.0 CoreDuo120gb HD 2gb RAM
Home: PowerMac QuickSilver 1.6ghz G4 120gb HD 1.25gb RAM
Wife's@home: 17" Flatscreen iMac 800mhz G4 80gb HD 640mb RAM
Wife'sOther:MacBook 1.83ghz Dual Core 1gb Ram 100gb HD
Kid's: 17" eMac 1ghz 80gb HD 1gb RAM

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 02:49 PM

She's heeeeere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpeaq...7594068123451/

It's still importing my stuff using the Transfer wizard so I havent played much.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

cambro
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 02:55 PM

Fans yet? Noise?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2006, 02:59 PM

I skipped the transfer wizard. Is there a way to launch this again? Does it ask you specifically what you want to transfer?
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

b11051973
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 02:59 PM

I'm still waiting for the Merom processor, but this thread makes it hard to wait. My 867 Mhz PB just isn't fast enough anymore.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:00 PM

Its in the Applications/Utilities folder

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
She's heeeeere.

It's still importing my stuff using the Transfer wizard so I havent played much.
... a place to hold your golf balls ... Thanks. You cracked me up. Also the assembled in Shanghaii.

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 03:02 PM

Well.....why wait? Get what you can for the 867 now and upgrade....there will ALWAYS be something better around the corner...

ryanbrown345
Feb 21, 2006, 03:12 PM

Santa monica has a few 2.0 macbooks for sale. and a bunch of so-cal apple stores only have them on display!

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:12 PM

Here's another interesting thing I haven't seen mentioned.

When you are going through initial setup, it asks to take your photo for your Account.

Sorry the quality sucks. I was too lazy to get a good shot

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 03:14 PM

She's heeeeere.

The O&A virus is everywhere, nice.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
The O&A virus is everywhere, nice.
Ramone brought me a macbook pro.

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by thephotodork
he shouldn't have to update to 10.4.5, it should have shipped with it already . . .

and it actually has been confirmed, since in his same set of flickr photos, the about this mac info is posted showing system 10.4.5 is running . . .
Correctamundo. As these are my pics, I can answer for that tidbit. The tearing occurs on Macbooks even with 10.4.5. Looks like another update is coming
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:22 PM

argh double post. stupid ajax.
( Last edited by tikki; Feb 21, 2006 at 03:47 PM. )

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 03:41 PM

Has someone torn theirs apart yet to play with the guts? (I'm sure someone will in the next few days.)
DBGFHRGL!

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 03:47 PM

Ramoooone, bring me a new MacBook Pro.
Hahahahahaha, ok I'm sure no one else has any idea, I better not perpetuate that.

Ramooooone, bring me my Front Row remote.
(Sorry couldn't help it.)

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:47 PM

Im getting ready to put a gig of ram in mine?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 21, 2006, 03:48 PM

What's the build number for 10.4.5 on the MacBook Pro?

10.4.5 is at Build 8H14 for my G4.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 04:04 PM

FYI.. Been using my 2ghz MacBook Pro today. I do a lot of Photoshop work. Photoshop is working very quickly from Rosetta. Granted, I'm moving up from a 1GHz PB G4, but I am very happy with the performance.

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

I posted it above. Guess you missed it.
10.4.5 (8G1453)

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

10.4.5 Build 8G1453 on the MacBook Pro
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 04:05 PM

And I LOVE this screen. It's fantastic.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 04:07 PM

Reception seems stronger than my 1GHz PowerBook G4... I noticed only because there are many more WiFi zones available in my apartment complex.

Forum Links
Forum Rules