Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Attention Windows users: We could care less!

Attention Windows users: We could care less!
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 12:16 PM

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 12:23 PM

we could? how much less? because for me it's not that much.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 12:26 PM

Apparently, I couldn't care less about your BAD grammar.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 12:29 PM

pwned! haha

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 12:30 PM

Attention Windows users: We couldn't care less!
FIXINATED!!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 20, 2006, 12:33 PM

Wait a sec I don't get it.

If Zune doesn't work on a Mac then why do Windows users need to be alerted to this? They need to know that Zune will run on their PC and not a Mac they don't have?

On top of that if Mac users "could care less" then why did you post this topic?

"Hello, what have we here?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 12:35 PM

Windows users are our mothers, fathers, siblings and significant others. Why should I storm into them and make a cocky statement like this?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 12:41 PM

This thread hurts my soul.

Well, it would if I had one.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 12:49 PM

From the comments:
once you go brown, you'll never go black.
Reader post by: Sparky672
Posted on: September 20, 2006, 9:31 AM PDT
Story: Attention Mac users: All your Zune are belong to Windows
I'm selling my black aluminum iPod because too many girls are
coming up to me wanting to touch it... icky.

I'm getting a brown plastic Zune instead. It'll match my shiny
shoes and pocket protector much better. And for sure no more
freaky chicks flirtin' with me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 01:14 PM

I actually think the "Attention Mac users: All your Zune are belong to Windows" highlights just how well the Zune will be received. The geeks will love it... but nobody is going to buy it.

Most users don't understand WiFi... in fact, they may NOT purchase a Zune because of it (I can see buyers eyes glazing over about 15 seconds when attempting to explain the WiFi option). Also, the "share three times in three days before purchase" sounds like a scam from non-tech people. [I would be outraged if the same was true for iTunes music sharing over the network]

Also, the iPod has a range of products from the $79 shuffle to the $349.00 80GB iPod. I don't see one product displacing the entire iPod line.

I'm also guessing that we will see a iPod with a larger screen in the coming months. The $349.00 price tag isn't anywhere near as expensive as some of the older top of the line iPods.

My final highlight is the Zune PlayForSure debacle. Trying to explain this is also a nightmare. "Wait, so my Microsoft music won't play on my Microsoft player?"

Q: When PlaysForSure was introduced, the premise was, we make it simple so that you don't have to worry about whether your player works with the music you're purchasing...

A: That continues to be the premise for devices that are branded in that category, and we think that we've clearly done a lot in that program, where there's a lot of devices out there, there are a lot of services out there, there are a lot of partners, and there are a lot of satisfied customers. We like that program. We've also found that there's a category of customers that say, "Give me a brand experience, advertise it to me on television; I want to be part of the digital music revolution, and that solution [PlaysForSure] doesn't work for me." So they're two complementary solutions -- not everyones gonna want Zune and not everyone's gonna want PlaysForSure. They're different paths there, and we're okay with both of them.

volcano
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'm loving some of the responses to this article:

Awesome, so Macs will still be virus and trojan free!
I was getting worried for a second. Just one, mind you.
Oh, the humanity.
I can only imagine the indifference we can expect to see from the Mac community.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Apparently, I couldn't care less about your BAD grammar.

Uh oh. 'I could care less' is a perfectly valid expression.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Yeah, I guess so, but this sums it up nicely (from the link above):

"So it’s actually a very interesting linguistic development. But it is still regarded as slangy, and also has some social class stigma attached. And because it is hard to be sarcastic in writing, it loses its force when put on paper and just ends up looking stupid. In such cases, the older form, while still rather colloquial, at least will communicate your meaning—at least to those who really could care less."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 03:02 PM

Wrong use of grammar. It's "I couldn't care less".

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
You're hilarious*

*Note the use of deep sarcasm.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c

Google it. It started out as a deliberate mistake but has now entered mainstream English. It's fine to use.

How did "I could not care less" come to be replaced by "I could care less"--a virtually meaningless statement?
The phrase I could care less has been repeatedly condemned in recent years for its illogic: if you could care less, surely that means that you do care to an extent. But it's not meant to be taken literally. I could care less is sarcastic. When it is spoken, the stress is "I could CARE LESS," not the way one would stress a serious declaration. It's the same as saying "I really give a damn," when you don't, or "Nice move!" when someone makes a clumsy mistake--yes, they mean the opposite of what they say, but they're deliberate. The sarcasm allows you to express more disdain than simply saying "I couldn't care less." In addition, the phrase, with "couldn't" or with "could," is expressing indifference, so a strict interpretation is even less justified.

The expression I couldn't care less became common in England in World War Two and was apparently based on an earlier catchphrase "I couldn't agree with you more." The "could" variant is first found in the mid-1960s and was being objected to by the 1970s.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 03:07 PM

I can't tell if I could care less or not, my capacity to not care is nearly limitless.

Anyway... wow, this is a huge surprise, given that windows media player is no longer even supported on the Mac... And when support was dropped, there was already a massive outpouring of not caring from the Mac community.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 03:08 PM

"But it is still regarded as slangy, and also has some social class stigma attached. And because it is hard to be sarcastic in writing, it loses its force when put on paper and just ends up looking stupid."
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 03:09 PM

So basically, it's "ain't"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
"But it is still regarded as slangy, and also has some social class stigma attached. "
It's a good thing we don't use any colloquialisms (sp?) on the board...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 04:48 PM

Not caring about Zune here... Not at all. Is there a point to it? More MS hardware that's sort of ok in concept but...

Anyway, who gives a rat's skinny naked tail about the Zune? And why? I'm sitting here listening to my 60G iPod Photo at the moment, and just wondering why anyone should be concerned about whether yet another iPod competitor works with Macs or not.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 04:50 PM

It's a corrupted form of the phrase, and people should be deriding its usage.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 04:50 PM

haha i know colloquialism is teh suck, stoopid

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
It's a corrupted form of the phrase, and people should be deriding its usage.
Because language in the US is somehow evolving rather than devolving?

Radical! (Rad!)
Cool!
That's Hot!
Sick!

These are all instances of improper use of words. The first I find a bit old, the middle two are current, and the last (which I abhor) is recent. Should we be deriding all of these as well?
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Because language in the US is somehow evolving rather than devolving?

Radical! (Rad!)
Cool!
That's Hot!
Sick!

These are all instances of improper use of words. The first I find a bit old, the middle two are current, and the last (which I abhor) is recent. Should we be deriding all of these as well?
Not like we should deride "could care less." Those are just common utterances, and while their usage should be minimized, they're not as harmful to the language as that corrupted phrase.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 04:59 PM

Used in everyday language, with poor ennunciation (as IMO most people have) it'll probably be taken as "I couldn't care less." and essentially has the same meaning to the audience "It's not important to me".

I'm just arguing now though
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 05:10 PM

Attention Mac Users: CNET and other sites love baiting you for hits because you always oblige.

That is all.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 05:34 PM

Yay another derail thanks to grammar bitching!

porieux
Baninated
Sep 20, 2006, 05:40 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:52 AM. )

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 09:31 PM

wow is this serious? i left for work and i came back to this damn flame fest over something i thought ya'll would like. Im sorry for my bad grammar but in this day and age it seems like stuf like "pwned" and stupid sh*t like that are accepted but oh look hes a junior member we can flame the sh*t out of him! why dont you just laugh at the stupid article, make your comment about IT and then just get on with life...

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy
wow is this serious? i left for work and i came back to this damn flame fest over something i thought ya'll would like. Im sorry for my bad grammar but in this day and age it seems like stuf like "pwned" and stupid sh*t like that are accepted but oh look hes a junior member we can flame the sh*t out of him! why dont you just laugh at the stupid article, make your comment about IT and then just get on with life...
These ***hole get me for grammar all the time. As for the article: yes i care less about that stupid Zune.
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 10:25 PM

And we covered the whole "I could/I couldn't care" thing in detail (with charts, graphs, and a disertation or three) a few months ago. The two phrases are both semantically equivalent and semantically distinct; if one wants to show derision, one uses "couldn't" while if one wants to show indifference, one uses "could."

GET OVER IT! Can we go back to dissing the Zune? Please? I like doing that!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 10:40 PM

No its not. It's just explained by some person on a website.

It is a dumb and meaningless expression, that is noticably used by less than average intelligent people.

One needs at least 95 IQ to understand a sentance with double-negative and saracsm!

Either way, it is not a perfectly valid expression.. not even a valid expression. It's just dumb. Like the people who use it.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 10:46 PM

voodoo, please READ the first paragraph in my post above yours. There are two technically different meanings in these two phrases that are equivalent in common parlance. More Zune bashing please.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 10:47 PM

Google it. It started out as a deliberate mistake but has now entered mainstream English. It's fine to use.
Oh and a mistake does not become right just because it has caugth on. All languages have ingrown errors, but they are errors. That's why people go to school and learn to think for themselves.

Writing 'teh man' is probably going to be very common in the near future. Doesn't make it right, though most people will understand and read it without an issue.

As for the opinions of some experts who have decided to spread their wisdom among the unwashed masses through the internet:

I couldn't care less.

V

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
voodoo, please READ the first paragraph in my post above yours. There are two technically different meanings in these two phrases that are equivalent in common parlance. More Zune bashing please.
We are talking? I was sure we were writing. Besides it is stupid and annoying to read 'I could care less'.

The accepted rule here is to post with careful spelling and this is no better spelling than som1 dooin teh 1337 $it in teh psots.

S'annyon like hells d00d. like,,,,, u now. bad gramnmur.

V

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2006, 10:59 PM

Lol, when I go there, this little article is surrounded by 5 "i'm a mac" adds.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger
Lol, when I go there, this little article is surrounded by 5 "i'm a mac" adds.
I saw it!
Signature depreciated.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
if one wants to show derision, one uses "couldn't" while if one wants to show indifference, one uses "could."

You can make up a distinction if you want, but the fact of the matter is that it's simply another case of people misusing a phrase. If I hear someone say they "could care less" it just makes me think that they couldn't care less about how they appear to other people.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2006, 11:13 PM

As for the Zune, what's with the last sentence of the article:

As Gizmodo points out, many iPod-toting Mac users won't mind too much--except the ones who are still bitter that the new round of iPods doesn't come with Wi-Fi.
Is ANYONE bitter that the iPod doesn't have wi-fi? That's like saying that you're bitter that your bicycle doesn't have a built-in waffle maker. I'm not saying that wi-fi doesn't have potential (although Microsoft is going to have to come up with some more compelling uses than the "listen to a song 3 times" thing). But this person is acting like wi-fi is an expected feature on MP3 players or something.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 11:17 PM

I've got to fight the good fight on this one, the phrase 'could care less' is grammatically incorrect and thus I proclaim it to be stupid.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
I've got to fight the good fight on this one, the phrase 'could care less' is grammatically incorrect and thus I proclaim it to be stupid.
Is the sentence actually grammatically poor, or does it simply not make sense (to you)?
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 11:37 PM

If you're referring to my sentence, yes it was probably grammatically poor. But at least it made sense.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2006, 02:08 AM

It ("I could care less") is perfectly grammatical, but it doesn't mean what the speakers seem to think it means. In fact, it's the opposite. If you could care less, then you're not completely indifferent, which is what the phrase is *supposed* to mean.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy
We weren't really flaming you over the it, MacinTommy, and I apologize if it came across that way. It was just a linguistic debate.

Incidentally, I was reading a Slashdot page on Mac marketshare, and right before I was to hit the close button on the tab I just happened to see the same phrase here.

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2006, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
We are talking? I was sure we were writing. Besides it is stupid and annoying to read 'I could care less'.

The accepted rule here is to post with careful spelling and this is no better spelling than som1 dooin teh 1337 $it in teh psots.

S'annyon like hells d00d. like,,,,, u now. bad gramnmur.

V
Originally Posted by voodoo
I couldn't care less.

V
Oh, I'm pretty sure you could care less!
Because if you would, there wouldn't be any quotes in my post!

edit: And to be back on topic: Zune? Hmm, looks ok but why should I care what kind of MP3 player other people buy (or like)? Why should I care about windows users? I really don't, that's why I don't use Anti-Virus software and forward every suspicous mail to all my windows "friends"!
( Last edited by badidea; Sep 21, 2006 at 03:57 AM. )

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
It ("I could care less") is perfectly grammatical, but it doesn't mean what the speakers seem to think it means. In fact, it's the opposite. If you could care less, then you're not completely indifferent, which is what the phrase is *supposed* to mean.
Again, I think the general idea of "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less" is essentially the same "I don't care.", examination beyond will probably find that the speaker didn't give any thought to what he was saying.

MacinTommy, this doesn't have anything to do with your grammer per se, just the phrase and it's application in general. Please don't take it personally.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2006, 06:57 AM

To me 'couldnt care less' about something means 'I don't care'. But by saying that you 'could care less' implies that you do care about the subject. So to talk about something you are not bothered about and say 'I could care less about it' is saying the opposite of what you mean.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 07:02 AM

Who cares about another iPod ripoff with an inferior interface, no FireWire, and tied to music-rental scams? Indeed, we couldn't care less.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ChrisF
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Who cares about another iPod ripoff with an inferior interface, no FireWire...
iPods don't support firewire anymore either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules