Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express Advice/Opinions

Airport Express Advice/Opinions
philc
Oct 9, 2006, 10:34 AM

We recently purchased an AirPort Express and have found it pauses periodically. I'm assuming this is due to our network running 802.11b which is slower than the latest and greatest.

I've turned on interface robustness as I noticed that when we had several MACs powered up the pauses occured more frequently. It seems as though we can reliably play low quality podcasts (up to 96kbps) but good quality music continues to pause.

In your opinion does this sound like moving to a 802.11g might solve the problem?

If so since all our equipment is now Apple are we better served spending the premium and getting an Apple device? What advantages does that provide over the vast array of <$50 CDN wireless routers available (Dlink, LinkSys, NetGear, NoName/etc)?

Thank you.
Phil

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 11:22 AM

My guess is that moving to 802.11g will solve your problem. And it doesn't have to be an Apple base station.

Chris

philc  (op)
Oct 10, 2006, 09:33 PM

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to what seems like an obvious question. I figured as much but wanted a second opinion before spending more money!

Phil

Originally Posted by chabig
My guess is that moving to 802.11g will solve your problem. And it doesn't have to be an Apple base station.

Chris

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 10, 2006, 10:54 PM

Major advice: ask ALL network related questions in the Networking forum.

"Interference" robustness is just that-it helps the wireless network withstand interference. It won't help you go faster. Getting a modern access point or wireless router WILL help you speed up quite a lot.

And you won't have to spend the kind of money Apple asks for their wireless base stations, either. You can get a decent wireless router for less than $50US if you shop around-it's worth the time to shop anyway, because you should know what kinds of features are available on the various models you look at. An extra $10-$15 in cost may get you a LOT more functionality.

Good hunting!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

philc  (op)
Oct 14, 2006, 09:38 AM

Thank you to all for your responses we ended up buying another AirPort Express to replace the old 802.11b router. The problem is now gone and we got the added benefit of being able to stream to the micro system in the den where the cable modem is

Forum Links
Forum Rules