Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread (Page 7)
chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 06:51 AM

Quick question about Spaces. Does anyone know if it'll be possible to have windows from the same app on different desktops? Or do all the windows from the same app have to be on the same desktop?

The demo seemed to imply that the latter was the case, which would severely limit the usefulness of this tool, for me at least.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by chrismear
Quick question about Spaces. Does anyone know if it'll be possible to have windows from the same app on different desktops? Or do all the windows from the same app have to be on the same desktop?

The demo seemed to imply that the latter was the case, which would severely limit the usefulness of this tool, for me at least.
I'm pretty sure the keynote clarifies this issue. I can't remember what's public and what isn't

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 09:20 AM

The demo definitely showed dragging windows from an app to various desktops.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2006, 11:47 AM

"Starman says there will be an interface overhaul in line with Apple's interface guidelines and the direction being taken by Mac OS X Leopard, also due out next year."

Wait for new Office | The Courier-Mail

Ok so it seems there will be such a big interface overhaul for 10.5 that MS has to delay the release of the new office.

Surely it is more than getting rid of brushed metal and using a unified theme?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
"Starman says..."
Oooo, Mrs. Our-very-own Starman?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Oooo, Mrs. Our-very-own Starman?
That's Mr. Starman to you.

scheck32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 08:35 AM

Any word when Leopard is coming out...other than "Early '07"???

scheck32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 08:36 AM

Also....I am looking at purchasing a new MacBook. Is it going to be worth waititng for Leopard to come out?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by scheck32
Also....I am looking at purchasing a new MacBook. Is it going to be worth waititng for Leopard to come out?

You'd wait several months to save $150?

tae667
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2006, 10:36 AM

Like always: buy it if you need it and wait if you don't need it. I'll wait with my crappy 933MHz iBook..

scheck32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 08:51 AM

Well, I am also hoping that by the time Leopard comes out...Apple would start making the Core 2 Duo standard on all Macbooks.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 11:26 AM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Franz
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater View Post
I can confirm thats real.. and it's very very neat.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 03:41 PM

I just tried it and it crashed the Finder every time.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 06:32 PM

That feature is neat but the rest of the finder still sucks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 06:49 PM

That feature looks interesting, but what will be more interesting is to see how it will be implemented. When I'm browsing a network share, it already takes a good while for my smaller preview to show up. These larger previews would probably be too slow to be useful based on the current Finder's performance.

I'm sure this will be moved somewhere else other than the contextual menu too.


Oct 23, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine View Post
I just tried it and it crashed the Finder every time.
Finder isn't very stable with Leopard right now. Crashes a lot.
-


Oct 23, 2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by scheck32 View Post
Any word when Leopard is coming out...other than "Early '07"???
A good bet would be March or April.
-

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
Finder isn't very stable with Leopard right now. Crashes a lot.
You wouldn't be able to tell us if that crashing finder has a more noble cause, would ya

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 11:09 PM

No. Seems to me that most of the crashes are due to bugs in the Obj-C runtime or Foundation classes.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 11:34 PM

That video won't play here - claims it's a "private video" and that I don't have authorization to view it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tboparis
Oct 24, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by tae667 View Post
Like always: buy it if you need it and wait if you don't need it. I'll wait with my crappy 933MHz iBook..
Mine is a 500MHz iBook G3...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine View Post
No. Seems to me that most of the crashes are due to bugs in the Obj-C runtime or Foundation classes.
Finder is rewritten in Cocoa?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 06:31 PM

No.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2006, 06:55 PM

Then why is the Finder crashing because of bugs in Foundation?
Chuck
___

kick52
Baninated
Oct 24, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
A good bet would be March or April.
that would be great for me...

birthday is in march

live18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 09:30 PM

I hope it comes fast. I think Vista is not even in the same level as Leopard. Why do people still use Windows? Its crazy.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 10:25 PM

A quick question about, of all things, TextEdit. I recently saw a screenshot showing that TextEdit can now edit OpenDocument files. See:

EDIT: The image won't let me directly link... so click here to see the blog I got it from.

Has anyone confirmed this? If this is true, can someone describe how well it handles them?
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Oct 27, 2006 at 09:10 PM. )

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2006, 09:13 AM

Looks pretty believable to me, but can't confirm since I don't have Leopard. BTW your image was broken but worked when I copied and pasted the url into a new tab.

elniney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 09:57 PM

Hey .. ive been using Leopard for like a month and im getting some errors on the way.

I know this is a Beta Version of the OS but i used a Beta aswell for the last one and it was fine .. so my Q. is ... Why do i keep getting the same error over and over again telling me to restart my computer on a darker screen? ... is this becoming on to one of those famous blue screens that Bill has develop over the years? ... 
Does it have to do with lack of memory? ... i have 768Mb... 
what can it be .. same problem on my G5 as on my Mb.pro

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 10:05 PM

Those are kernel panics. As a matter of fact, yes, they are basically the same thing as the Windows Blue Screen of Death. However, Leopard is still very early, and I would definitely count on (most of) these errors being cleared up long before RTM.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by elniney View Post
Hey .. ive been using Leopard for like a month and im getting some errors on the way.

I know this is a Beta Version of the OS but i used a Beta aswell for the last one and it was fine .. so my Q. is ... Why do i keep getting the same error over and over again telling me to restart my computer on a darker screen? ... is this becoming on to one of those famous blue screens that Bill has develop over the years? ... 
Does it have to do with lack of memory? ... i have 768Mb... 
what can it be .. same problem on my G5 as on my Mb.pro
Errors occur because it is not finished yet. Your question is like saying, "I saw this unfinished painting and it had all these white patches on it. I saw another unfinished painting once and it didn't have any white patches. Is this painting going to be plagued by white patches?!" If you are not a developer who intends to create apps for Leopard, the version currently available is not even meant to be seen — much less used — by you.
Chuck
___

elniney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 10:11 PM

so .. should i install an older version back again? ...�
every time i connect from my lap top to this computer on network .. this computer that is sharing the connection displays that message .. i just hope its all about the loepard...

elniney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 10:13 PM

Come on ... be nice! ...�

i got an invite to the event and thats how i got it .. im no developer or anything like it... im just a really really big fan...�

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 10:15 PM

Uh, you're using a pre-release build of an OS that isn't even to beta status yet, and you're complaining that it's got bugs?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

elniney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 10:20 PM

mmm not complaining ... only wanted to know what your toughts were about this issue so i finally decide to switch back to tiger...�

ok now .. lets drop this and focus on anyother thing! ...�

by the by ... Spaces?? .... GREAT INVENTION

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 10:21 PM

Nobody — not even developers — should use a pre-beta OS for anything but testing. As you've seen, there's no guarantee that the whole thing won't poof and take all your data along with it.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Oct 31, 2006 at 10:30 PM. )
Chuck
___

elniney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 10:34 PM

part of the idea of testing the beta is to report errors, problems and anything possible that goes wrong with it so, i shouldnt worry too much about it ...

Thanks anyway

Feynman
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by elniney View Post
part of the idea of testing the beta is to report errors, problems and anything possible that goes wrong with it so, i shouldnt worry too much about it ...

Thanks anyway
And part of reporting the errors is to keep it between you and Apple, as outlined by your NDA.

kilechki
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 11:42 AM

Regarding the possible evolution of Leopard UI, I find the new look of the .Mac adress book and of the new widgets of the Apple Store to be quite interesting. They both complete well the unified look, much easier and elegant to the eye than the mix of aqua+unified.

Feature-wise, the .mac adress book has the option to display contacts by visit card, à la MS Outlook. Hopefully they'll allow to input much more metadata than what's possible now.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Those are kernel panics. As a matter of fact, yes, they are basically the same thing as the Windows Blue Screen of Death. However, Leopard is still very early, and I would definitely count on (most of) these errors being cleared up long before RTM.
I just experienced the Windows Blue Screen of Death with my PC. I attempted to repair the OS but it didn't work so I re-installed the OS wiithout formatting the NTFS but somehow all of my data were erased. I'm so sick of windows.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:07 PM

It's been a while since anyone has posted, no one has any insider news?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 05:20 PM

There was a thread in the Lounge where a poster seemed to be claiming to have a secret build with mad crazy changes. But no, nothing concrete. All that's in the official builds so far is just improvements to what was there before.
Chuck
___

kilechki
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:54 PM

Well, the latest info available seems to be on the vista development board... New Leopard Build Sighted: 9A303 - AeroXperience .

There's a mini review of the last Leopard build (9A303). Nothing too fancy, more like some small enhancements here and there.

If resolution independence is really fully available in Leopard and judging by the screenshots, we should see a vast UI refresh in the coming weeks. There is a risk, however, that Apple limits the availability of resolution indepedence to developers in order to release the OS as soon as possible.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 10:50 PM

Very clever. =)

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 12:22 AM

that's pretty sweet. i'd also like use the dictionary within spotlight that can go something like "define: apple".
F = ma

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by milhous View Post
that's pretty sweet. i'd also like use the dictionary within spotlight that can go something like "define: apple".
It's even simpler than that.

Vandelay Industries

JLL
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
If resolution independence is really fully available in Leopard and judging by the screenshots, we should see a vast UI refresh in the coming weeks. There is a risk, however, that Apple limits the availability of resolution indepedence to developers in order to release the OS as soon as possible.
The word at WWDC was that developers has until 2008 to make apps ready for resolution independence, so it seems unlikely that users will be able to enable resolution independence in 10.5.0.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JLL View Post
The word at WWDC was that developers has until 2008 to make apps ready for resolution independence, so it seems unlikely that users will be able to enable resolution independence in 10.5.0.
This has been confusing me as well. On the one hand, what you said. On the other, they're publicly hyping res independence for the first time.

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's even simpler than that.

That implementation is ok, but what's the point of a separate Dictionary window opening when you can just have the definition appear inline within the Spotlight dropdown and then just leave Spotlight when you're done reading it.
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules