Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Serious HD Problem

Serious HD Problem
napthali
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 04:43 PM

I had an iMac DVSE that was running a bit slow. Most likely an extension or fragmentation problem, eh? Well, my father attempted to run an old version of Norton Utilities (I wanna say 3.1) on it, and now the hard drive is unrecognizable even if the machine is started up from the Restore CD. I don't want to simply reformat the drive, since there is vital data on there (maybe my father will now start a regular backup schedule, as I've recommended for a while... what else is the CD-RW for?). Anybody else ever run into this kind of thing? Do I have any hope other than sending the thing to DriveSavers?

- SJML

Damien
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2000, 10:31 PM

Yup, that's a pretty serious problem. Norton 3.5 and earlier will hose the data on a HD. They are incompatible with HFS+, the formatting scheme used by the MacOS since version 8.1. According to:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...491844&src=hot

How do you recover the data? I don't think you can. You'll probably have to reformat the drive.

I can remember back in 1997 when Norton 3.5 was released; many people were bitten by this bug. Symantec released an update to 3.5.2 which fixed this problem (Norton Disk Doctor wouldn't hose the data on the HD anymore if it was HFS+). I don't know if anyone was every able to recover data from their drives. You could dig around in the MacFixit archives.

Damien Barrett
Apple Solutions Expert

Cipher13
Jan 1, 2001, 07:14 AM

Did you post this somewhere else too?
I swear I replied to this.
If so, then please limit posts to one forum. If not, then what the hell happened to my post telling you to try DiskWarrior to see what it can do about the problem...

Cipher13

napthali  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2001, 01:58 PM

Yeah, cross-posting was my mistake. Sorry about that. Upon several people's advice, I ended up trying DiskWarrior, which was able to complete what it deemed a "minor repair" to the main boot block structure. The second it was done, all the files on my desktop popped up in the finder, followed by the drive itself. Success! I'm completing a backup and low-level format just to be sure I've exorcised all the demons from the system. Thanks to everybody for their support.

- SJML

Forum Links
Forum Rules