Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why does Windows on my MB eclipse OSX?

Why does Windows on my MB eclipse OSX?
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2006, 01:02 PM

In terms of speed. I never use OSX any more because everything is slow. If I have for instance to quicktime vids open, several hundred mb each, my comp stutters severly. If I'm on the web in a forum with say, 100 pics in one post. OMG, I might as well shut the thing down, can't scroll seamlessly through all 100 pics.

Opening up word, anything related to ms office, takes forever. Everything.

I'm just frustrated and pissed because everything mentioned above on the windows side is a breeze, blazing fast, ON MY MB! Why?

This is not a praise windows thread. I actually cant stand windows, so why the hell is osx moving like a freaking turtle for me for anything?

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2006, 01:41 PM

well, office will be really slow because its being emulated. if you don't have a lot of ram on the machine then, office will use it all up and get super slow.

and my experience with windows is that it's blazing fast until i need to reinstall it, and then all that "speed" is spent reinstalling everything.

but yeah, comparing office or photoshop between intel OSX and windows isn't fair. windows will destroy them.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2006, 02:26 PM

There has to be something else going on if your MB is really that slow. Maybe you have it set to startup allot of programs when you startup OSX. Maybe your ram is partially malfunctioning, example, you have factory 512 or 1 gig, but the stick is damaged in some way and are only truley running 256 or less. A normal MB is not slow with Safari, Firefox or word.
Force

acoustix
Dec 21, 2006, 02:41 PM

Office should rock, emulated or not...
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2006, 08:47 PM

I regularly have several (3-4) HD QuickTime files open and have no problems what so ever. This is on a 2.0 MHz MacBook.

And OSX flies. Something is going on with your 'Book.

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 02:23 AM

It's all about the RAM. OSX has to emulate office in Rosetta. When I had the factory-installed 512MB, office was horrible. Since I upgraded to 2GB, it runs beautifully, and I can multitask again.

ACE.Jing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 03:27 AM

you need 1G-2G RAM, RAM is good for Mac & PC

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 07:50 PM

yeah, I echo the others that you should not see a noticeable difference in basic apps. you may want to reinstall and/or take this in to be looked at.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

nickw311
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 09:15 PM

I agree that Windows runs marginally faster on things like what the original poster mentioned but by no means is it THAT much faster. Opening videos and web browsing is plenty fast on my 2.0 with 1 gb of ram.

I agree, try getting more ram or checking what all is running.
27" iMac C2D

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 12:00 PM

You think Windows runs fast...DOS screams!!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2006, 12:42 PM

I see only a tiny amount of difference in speed between Office 2004 on my MBP ("emulated" is not the right word; it's TRANSLATED) and Office XP on my PC with a similar CPU clock speed. If anything is not running "just about" as fast through Rosetta (with some exceptions-there are some really processor intensive apps that WILL be slow as molasses under Rosetts) then there's something wrong.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I agree that Windows runs marginally faster on things like what the original poster mentioned but by no means is it THAT much faster. Opening videos and web browsing is plenty fast on my 2.0 with 1 gb of ram.

I agree, try getting more ram or checking what all is running.
"Marginally faster" and "really slow" in this case are both subjective. What you find to be "marginally" different might be unbearably different for another person. There was always the risk that making Apple computers Windows compatible would eliminate the question of hardware differences from the benchmark between Windows and MacOs.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 02:20 PM

I work side by side with my PC and macbook I really don't notice any difference in speed. I have an Athlon 64 3200 running XP and a MacBook 2.0 Core 2 Duo on OS X. I think I may even prefer my MacBook to the PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules