Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > how do I copy some programs?

how do I copy some programs?
tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2001, 06:02 PM

I have an iMac with some programs on it that I don't have the install CDs for and I just got the new iBook. So what would be the best way to copy the programs from the iMac to the iBook? I have a USB CD burner if that helps.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2001, 06:46 PM

Transferring the files over via ethernet would probably be easiest. If you have a hub, just connect both computers to it; if you don't, you'll need an ethernet crossover cable, which will connect to the two computers directly. Once connected, just use file sharing to copy the programs.

Petter
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2001, 06:53 PM

There is no need for a crossover cable with the new iBook, it is autoswitching so you should be able to just connect what ever ethernet cable you like and it should work perfect! =)
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

tacojohnellenich  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2001, 07:02 PM

I know how to copy the files over, what I ment to ask was is there any special files that I should copy over besides the ones that are in that programs folder??

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by tacojohnellenich:
<STRONG>I know how to copy the files over, what I ment to ask was is there any special files that I should copy over besides the ones that are in that programs folder??</STRONG>
It would actually be easiest just to reinstall the apps.

Subzero Diesel949
Jul 30, 2001, 01:44 AM

Search through the Preferences folder for pref files for the particular programs you want.

Reinstall the apps, then drop your prefs files into the Preferences folder and overwrite the default pref files.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 01:29 PM

tj, since you don't have the disks, and therefore can't reinstall, just look in prefs for similar names. If there are prefs with weird names (not related to the app name) they will be recreated. Resetting prefs should be no big deal. The only other thing you might have to do is copy an extension or two. Same thing with the name similar to the app, but if there's a wierd one you need, the app should tell you that when you try to open it. Some things won't work by copying like this, but many do.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules