Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Slow Cube after long sleep

Slow Cube after long sleep
mws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 11:19 AM

Wonder if anyone is having the same trouble I am having with the cube.

When I keep it on all day and it sleeps for a long time, the applications I am trying to use come up very slow. I notice it mostly on Appleworks 6.1.2. but other applications may not be running up to speed either. I just seem to use Appleworks late in the day.

I thought it was better after I upgraded from 9.1 to 9.2.1 but last night it didn't seem so.

Specs Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz Built in Memory 256 MB

Just wondering if something is wrong with my Cube or if this is an indication of something going wrong.

Thanks for your help.

stepson
Aug 31, 2001, 11:34 AM

I think I am having a similar problem ... I have pretty much the same spec cube as you, except mine has 1.5GB memory. I leave it on all the time, and it just seems to get slower and slower. However, at work I have a 400mhz iMac that i also leave on all the time, but don't use anywhere near as much, and it seems fine. Programs all launch quickly, and responsiveness is where i'd expect ... however, my cube, sometimes, will just take forever .. programs launch in 30 bounces, takes forever for the window to pop up...

I'm running OS X 10.0.4 ... any ideas?

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2001, 01:28 PM

I'd also like an explanation - my cube used to wake from sleep really quickly, and it went to sleep quickly too (watch the mouse light go out - that's when it's really asleep). Now when I put it to sleep, I hear the HD switch off, then another several seconds before the mouse follows suit. Also, upon wake, the wake tone sounds (you can set one in the energy saver control panel), but the desktop doesn't mount for at least 10 more seconds. At one time, the desktop mounted along with the wake tone.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to restore the faster wakeup? How about it, Mac Geniuses?

capone
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 03:52 PM

Does it get back up to speed after a while? When you wake a computer from sleep it has to spin up the hard disk again and it can take a while, but if its is remaining slow for an extended period then you should contact Apple and let them know its a widespread problem.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 12:26 AM

I see the same thing, and I have become convinced that there is a timeout that is going wrong when the cube wakes up. I think that it is waiting for something to time out before allowing HD access, something on the order of 30 seconds. After about a minute everything is back to normal. Probably a bug somewhere in the awakeFromSleep code, but I have never seen it on anything other than a cube.. annoying but not a killer...

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 06:44 PM

But I must point out that my Cube used to wake up very quickly, not unlike the imacs mentioned. Something happened - system change, extension issue, wait to remount desktop - I don't know. When I upgraded to system 9.1, the problem disappeared again for a time, then came back.

I really like it when the Cube is most responsive and wakes the fastest. Has anyone got a clue?

Atomic Beat Boy
Sep 3, 2001, 07:02 PM

Netwroking. I remember when Steve introduced instant wake in Mac OS X, he compared it to OS 9. He mentioned that it takes much longer when networking is enabled, so try disabling AppleTalk or pulling out the EtherNet.

Stembolt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 07:06 PM

There is some kind of conflict between the latest versions of the Apple CD/DVD driver and the Iomega drivers. It is usually noticed after the machine wakes from sleep. Disable the Iomega driver extension and restart. If the system does not slow down after sleep, then you've found the source of the problem.

--
Stembolt

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2001, 09:02 PM

My B&W G3 is exactly the same

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2001, 09:32 PM

Success!

I turned off AppleTalk and file sharing, and now my Cube falls asleep and restarts much more quickly. Thanks everyone for your input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules