Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ricoh 20x10x40 CDRW (IDE) - Can I fit this into my G4/350 (AGP)

Ricoh 20x10x40 CDRW (IDE) - Can I fit this into my G4/350 (AGP)
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2001, 07:20 PM

Hi guys,

I need some speedy advice please

On QVC (UK) today they are selling the Ricoh MP7200A Internal 20x10x40 CDRW for only �179.99.

They keep mentioning PC's but not macs... can I fit this into my G4/350 (AGP)?

I have a bay free and the standard DVD drive in the other bay. Does it matter already having a CD/DVD drive installed? Can they run in tandem or do I have to remove the CD/DVD drive? I'd rather keep them both installed for ease-of-use for cd-to-cd burning.

Also, I have looked on Roxio's website. Toast 5 does not list the MP7200A on there as being a compatible drive. Is this because it is so new? What are the chances that it will work with Toast now, or will I have to wait for an update to Toast. Roxi lists a hell of a lot of other Ricoh drives so hopefully it will work straight off. What do you think.

I guess that I can buy a mounting kit and a CD front fascia, yes?

I hope that as many of you as possible can give me some double-quick advice as the drive is selling very fast

Thanks in advance,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2001, 08:16 PM

First off a few things.
1. You can't install both two CD drives in a G4 tower. The lower bay is ia 3.5" bay not a 5.25" bay. You can't do it without SERIOUS modification to the heatsink and the system. For that reason alone, I reccomend external firewire burners to those looking to do CD to CD burning.
2. If it's not listed as compatible with Toast 5.0.1 I may be because it may use a supported mechanism. However, chances are it isn't. I say go out and get a nice firewire burner. That's what I did.
Regards,
Dave

Macinstine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 04:07 PM

Cheak out the drive compatability data base at excelerate your Mac.
Exclerate your mace drive compatability fourms

Most Ricoh drives aren't bootable.

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2001, 10:03 PM

You can put it into your tower if you remove the DVD drive and replace it. This may cause a problem if you cant boot from the drive. Looks like a great deal. I would get it. Chances are that upcoming toast updates will support it; it may already be supported, but not listed.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules