Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best way to upgrade a Sawtooth?

Best way to upgrade a Sawtooth?
napthali
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 05:48 PM

I've got a Sawtooth 450 running OS 9.2 with 10.1.3 on a separate partition. I've added 256 megs of RAM (taking me to 384) and an additional 45 gig hard drive.

Now, i really don't see myself being able to afford a new machine for several more years, but I would like to occasionally treat myself to an upgrade on this little workhorse which is dubbed "Mendel."

My first instint is to add yet more RAM, as it's very cheap right now. But since I do a lot of FCP work, I would also like more disk space. A new graphics card is also in the future, preferably one that will do dual-monitors.

So i need to know:

1) what's the best way to add more space to this setup since the internal ATA spots are already taken up? Add an ATA PCI card? SCSI is expensive; are the speed gains worth it? Any recommendations in terms of vendors on either of those?

2) What's the best AGP 2x graphics card i can get that will do dual-monitor? I've been looking at the Radeon 8500 and the GeForce 2MX w/TwinView... both of which seem a bit difficult to come by. Suggestions?

Eventually this machine will be running OS X; as of now it's just a hair too slow, and the lack of good drivers for my Kensington Expert Mouse Pro keeps me from using it full time (as silly as that sounds).

- SJML

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2002, 05:55 PM

RAM is the way to go. I have the 350 MHz Sawtooth and I bumped it up to 1.5 GB of Ram and through a 45 GB next to the 10 GB I have in there. I also threw on the new keyboard and a better mouse.

RAM is the bang for the buck but I don't think you wil be able to survive on that machine for two more years. A friend just bought a dual Gig and it is rough knowing that just ONE of his processors is 3 x faster than mine.

For me, it is MWNY. No matter what.

Yikes.

BZ

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 06:46 PM

A nice flap panel LCD, while not a cheap upgrade, will change your computing experience. Look at it this way: what do you spend your time looking at? The monitor is your interface, your environment. Get a 17" LCD or larger and you'll not regret it. Apple's are nice, but Samsung makes some sweet ones like the SyncMaster 760 TFT and goes for about $640 after rebate at J and R Computer. I have one and its sweeeeet!

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2002, 07:41 PM

I'd get more RAM first, that will give you real performance in OS X. Then another HD.

After the RAM and HD, I'd hold off on anything else until new upgrade cards are available, which is rumored to be sometime this summer. Slip in an 800 MHz G4 into that Sawtooth and it will be good for another 2-3 years.

I own a Sawtooth myself and those are my plans.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

napthali  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 08:17 PM

BZ, I'm fairly sure that i'll be able to survive on this machine for a few more years, as my life expectancy is not tied directly to my computer (i believe). I mean, the machine still does everything i want it do, just a bit slower than other people can do it. As a college student, budget is is a very large concern, and if the difference is between ~$1500 for a new low-end machine and <$500 for some components that will greatly enhance my own machine, then I will choose the latter.

I think I agree with everyone on the RAM issue -- I've always said that it's the best upgrade you can give to any computer, and with OS X this is even moreso. I think it's going to be bumped up to at least 896 megs, and possibly 1408 if i can find a good deal.

I'm going to wait on a processor upgrade until they're a little more worth my while -- right now the best I've seen is the Duet card from sonnet(?) that gives you 2x500 G4. I'll hold off until i can stick at least an 800 in there.

But what about the HD upgrade? Is getting a new IDE controller card worthwhile? Could someone explain the precise advantage over an external firewire drive? I would prefer not to have yet another THING hanging off my computer, so putting it inside is convenient, and it seems a bit cheaper (until i factor in the controller card, but that will let me add many more drives if i so wish in the future).

And the graphics cards? Is that worh it at all? I definitely would like a new monitor and it will almost certainly be a flat screen, but i would like to retain my trusty 17 inch CRT because (a) it's still in perfect working order and I did pay good money for it and (b) I would like to do a dual-monitor setup, which I could do with either the new GeForces or Radeons, provided my new monitor is DVI or ADC, correct?

- SJML

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2002, 08:29 PM

Graphics upgrades are only worth it if you want to play Quake or Wolfenstein a lot. Your ATi Rage 128 is worthless for today's modern 3D games. ATi's RADEON upgrade cards are nice, and they work with the Sawtooth!

If you just want to drive another monitor, get a PCI graphics card and drive the new, ADC or DVI monitor off of your factory Rage 128.

napthali  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 08:32 PM

seanyepez (and others),

shouldn't a graphics card help with photoshop performance? i mean, maybe not the one's i'm looking at, but certainly some of them.

yeah, not a big game player on my computer. that's what my PS2 is for.

- SJML

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 12:03 AM

Oh yes, more RAM. Getting an AGP Radeon or Geforce is only worthwhile for dual display capablities and 3D gaming. At the moment, you won't see any tangible increase in GUI speeds under OS X, and only a little bit under OS 9. Photoshop is not going to get a big boost either, but you'll be able to scroll larger images more smoothly. With a new card, connecting an ADC requires the Dr. Bott adaptor to DVI unless you can get an ADC Radeon or Geforce off of eBay. But your old monitor could still be plugged in alongside any DVI display (even on the same card if you get one of the new Radeons or Twin Display Geforce cards) if you buy a PCI card.

And consider the Sonnet ATA/100 card as a good IDE expansion card. Really improves read/write speeds and actually speeds up OS X and Classic if they are running off an ATA/100 7200rpm drive connected to the card. Advantages over firewire? Speed, speed, speed. A FW drive is good, even for video backups. But for FCP, do yourself a real favor and look into this card, or a RAID card.

ps. Sawtooth G4's are my favorites. Still has the audio-input and the audio cable from the CD drive. Has a good level 2 cache. AGP. Great computer. Better than Yikes G4's and better than the digital audio G4's. Now if only they would have some good processor upgrades for it!

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: pathogen ]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Forum Links
Forum Rules