Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Cube and ROM

G4 Cube and ROM
jfdonahue
Jul 7, 2001, 07:38 AM

I just got my G4 Cube and copied my "old" system folder from my tower over to the new Cube. Everything seems to work fine except I believe I am using an older version of the Mac OS ROM. Does anyone see a potential problem with this?

Thanks

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 03:58 PM

Well if everything "seems to work fine" I guess you lucked out. A better option would be to restart your tower with the "Mac OS All" set of extensions from the Extensions Manager. This will put all your 3rd party extensions and control panels into the "disabled" folders. After you've installed the OS that came with the Cube, it should be easy to find all your extra system files in the "disabled" folders and copy them into the new Extensions and Control Panels folders on the Cube. That way you're sure to have the correct ROM and Finder and updated control panels and extensions and it's easy to install your additions. Now, this won't copy all your preferences over, but prefrences seem to be prone to corruption sometimes so it's probably best to recreate them from scratch anyway.

-Doug

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: GreenMnM ]

capone
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 04:22 PM

Dont worry about it. If you start having problems get the Mac OS Rom file from your system CD.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules