Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Patriots caught cheating

Patriots caught cheating
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 09:56 PM

Its not enough that they have a great quarterback and not have a deep threat in Moss they have to cheat and video tape the JETs defensive signals.

This awful and I hope Goodell throws the book at them

msnbc

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 10:09 PM

Does the NFL have a rule against it? If not, it's not cheating IMHO.

It's not against the law or anything... perhaps immoral, but not illegal.

EDIT: Opps, looks like they do have rules against it.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:17 PM

Wow, video cameras at a football game! Whoddah thunk?! Next thing you know they will have helmet cams. Naw...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 10:44 PM

It must be a mistake. Why would they need to steal signs to beat the Jets? If they were playing a good team, maybe I'd believe it.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:44 PM

as long as moss does well for my fantasy team I could careless
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
It must be a mistake. Why would they need to steal signs to beat the Jets? If they were playing a good team, maybe I'd believe it.
BURNNNNNNNNNNNN
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 11:07 PM

That is just stupid. Belichick is the smartest coach in the league. I'm sorry that's preposterous. Pennington lost the game. Though I give him serious props for throwing a great series and TD injured.

It's not like they read plays or got INTs. Plus, Jets suck.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
as long as moss does well for my fantasy team I could careless
please COULDN't care less.

alexmarchuk
Banned
Sep 11, 2007, 11:12 PM

Patriots aren't that good anyway.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 11:22 PM

Wow, that's a blatantly too big / spammish sig.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 11:51 PM

Wow. They might be docked several draft choices next season.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 11, 2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
please COULDN't care less.
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, ... let's not start up this discussion again.

Please.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 07:09 PM

Sorry pal. You're right. I'll keep it under check.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 08:18 PM

I'm disappointed to hear this (apparently the guy is from New Bedford, right around here) but I fail to see how that helps Moss catch a TD pass in triple coverage in the corner of the field.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 08:38 PM

brady is good and belichick is the smartest because they have been cheating. their careers in new england have been lies. his isn't the first time; they have 3 known offenses from last season. weiss only looked good for them because they cheated. look at him at nortre dame. any good? nope. he was suppose to be this offensive genius and he has flopped since going to college. guess he doesn't have good enough cheaters there.

this will end up bad for the pats.

i'm not saying this is the only team to do it. but their previous success has to come under question now.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 09:27 PM

Whether or not Belichick is guilty of cheating, I think they should take a few draft picks away from the Patriots just to even the playing field a bit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 09:35 PM

That is just stupid. Belichick is the smartest coach in the league. I'm sorry that's preposterous. Pennington lost the game. Though I give him serious props for throwing a great series and TD injured.

It's not like they read plays or got INTs. Plus, Jets suck.
Finally an unbiased opinion.

-t

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 09:38 PM

i'm sure all teams do it, just not from their sideline.

duh.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 12, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm disappointed to hear this (apparently the guy is from New Bedford, right around here) but I fail to see how that helps Moss catch a TD pass in triple coverage in the corner of the field.
Excellent point! He was so covered I was certain it would be batted away or intercepted.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

That's because Brady cheats so much that he is able to drop the ball anywhere he wants to

Also, I guess the rampant Pats cheating didn't work the past two seasons, maybe the switch to HD video is throwing them off.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 11:08 PM

OK, honestly, if my team DID do this consistently. I am disappointed in them. But I really don't think so. However I am naive. I will just wait and see. I can offer no argument here nor there.

My 2nd fave is the Saints anyway....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 11:25 PM

Let's put it like this: What are the odds that they never cheated before, and now, the first time they do it, they get busted ?

This tells me this has been going on for a moment...

-t

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 11:32 PM

I'd bet that 31 other teams try it though the Pats were obvious and should have known that Mangini would call them on it. Other teams and players have cheated before and others will again.

If the Pats weren't so successful, it wouldn't be such a big story.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 11:50 PM

this thread is now about how mike vick is the only person in public eye who fights dogs.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
this thread is now about how mike vick is the only person in public eye who fights dogs.
? no, it's not.

OT: This is a shame if they really cheated. I like the patriots, although they aren't my favorite team, but this really just sucks that they would do this. I am very interested to hear more info, as in who cheated (just the coaches, coaches and brady, coaches and all of team, etc.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
? no, it's not.

OT: This is a shame if they really cheated. I like the patriots, although they aren't my favorite team, but this really just sucks that they would do this. I am very interested to hear more info, as in who cheated (just the coaches, coaches and brady, coaches and all of team, etc.)
LOL, do you know what OT means ?

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 13, 2007, 12:34 AM

On...Topic???
Or does it??

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
They saw from the video that the Jets defense is incapable of defending that corner of the field with triple coverage.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 01:51 AM

They could have had the entire coaching side on the Jets' sidelines and it wouldn't have helped.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
LOL, do you know what OT means ?

-t
Even though it's a football thread, OT still means "on topic" not "overtime".

Or if that's not what you mean, then I have no idea what the hell you're talking about?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 13, 2007, 08:07 AM

Sorry pal. You're right. I'll keep it under check.
Wow, just wow.

I have hope for the lounge again.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 13, 2007, 09:18 AM

Even though it's a football thread, OT still means "on topic" not "overtime".

Or if that's not what you mean, then I have no idea what the hell you're talking about?
Off topic.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 09:31 AM

No, in teh intarwebs, it means the opposite of ON TOPIC.

-t

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 10:39 AM

Whether or not Belichick is guilty of cheating, I think they should take a few draft picks away from the Patriots just to even the playing field a bit.
So you're advocating that because they're good they shouldn't get draft choices

That makes no sense because of their record they have to pick later in the draft anyways and that is the most fair approach. Bad teams pick first better teams next and the best are last

Trading draft picks of course changes the equation a bit.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 10:44 AM

They'll be docked something like a second round draft pick a) because the case has made the front pages b) because another black eye isn't what the league needs and most importantly, c) to keep the other teams from being so out front about the practice.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, in teh intarwebs, it means the opposite of ON TOPIC.

-t
Are you chiding someone for not being familiar with internet message board lingo?
nerd.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Are you chiding someone for not being familiar with internet message board lingo?
I'm edumacating him, 'NN style

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 11:02 AM

I wonder how many teams actually engage in this kind of activity. Probably, oh I don't know...95% of them.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
So you're advocating that because they're good they shouldn't get draft choices

That makes no sense because of their record they have to pick later in the draft anyways and that is the most fair approach. Bad teams pick first better teams next and the best are last

Trading draft picks of course changes the equation a bit.
It makes perfect sense to me. Then again, I'm a Bills fan.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 04:15 PM

Who needs draft picks?

It seems the whole "three suberbowl rings a sham!" has reached far and wide. At best it's ludicrous.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2007, 05:21 PM

So the Patriots videotaped the defensive calls from the Jets. Same as when Shanahan would have a lip reader get the defensive calls.
And this is just for the offense, which honestly has never been that good. And don't give me crap about having an even playing field. If so, you would mix teams up to have equal talent on both sides.

The Pats are no different than anybody else. People just don't like them cause they win.

Wish the damn Eagles would try something like this.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
weiss only looked good for them because they cheated. look at him at nortre dame. any good? nope. he was suppose to be this offensive genius and he has flopped since going to college. guess he doesn't have good enough cheaters there.
Perhaps Weiss looks bad because ND had really lousy recruiting classes during Willingham's final few years. You always need to give a college coach enough time to get his own guys in there.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:44 PM

If this were baseball, what would be the penalty for sign stealing? (I assume that's a nice equivalent)

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
If this were baseball, what would be the penalty for sign stealing? (I assume that's a nice equivalent)
Better chance of winning?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
It used to be a beanball to the head of one of your players, but we're all wusses now.

Edit: Come to think of it, there aren't many people who aren't named Clemens who would intentionally bean someone in retaliation. Even baseball players know that a hit to the head can ruin someone's career. But throwing at someone's side or legs would have bene perfectly fine....
( Last edited by Dork.; Sep 13, 2007 at 06:17 PM. )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 06:26 PM

It used to be a beanball to the head of one of your players, but we're all wusses now.
I actually got a base hit off of a ball thrown at my head in little league. I squatted to get out of the way, but didn't move the bat, and the ball hit it and went into play. No one reacted much, and I ran to first before the catcher figured out it was a live ball.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Perhaps Weiss looks bad because ND had really lousy recruiting classes during Willingham's final few years. You always need to give a college coach enough time to get his own guys in there.
the NE players weren't his picks either. so he could turn pros into butter but college kids turn into turds?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
the NE players weren't his picks either. so he could turn pros into butter but college kids turn into turds?
NE does a good job of managing talent. ND's last few recruiting classes before Weiss were downright terrible. I think it is reasonable to say that he has very little to work with right now.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 06:47 PM

it is also reasonable to say he isn't the offensive genius people want to make him out to be. and, the current year's recruits are his. i don't think all of them are on the bench/red shirted.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 08:41 PM

$500,000 fine for the coach, $250,000 fine for the team, and they lose either a 1st round pick if they make the play offs, or a 2nd or 3rd pick if they don't (according to ESPN).

Forum Links
Forum Rules