Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Beachball after upgrading to Leopard

Beachball after upgrading to Leopard
mjames
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 02:16 PM

On my secondary machine, a 1.25 Ghz Powerbook G4, I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard and now when I get to my desktop, I get the beachball of death. It's like Finder isn't responding, but I can't right-click on the dock icon to restart it. The dock shows up like it should, I can hover over apps. My CPU is hovering around 100%, too. I've restarted several times now, same result. What are my options?
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 02:55 PM

Hold down the shift key when you login and see if it still happens. If not, you have a third party utility (e.g. a contextual menu item) that conflicts with the Leopard Finder.

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 05:07 PM

No luck. Doing that got me into "safe mode" and no beachball, but it only half-loaded the menu bar ... it was just icons and didn't full load.

What's odd is I have the same apps and setup on my iMac and the upgrade went fine, so I can't imagine any of my apps causing this. The Powerbook has 768 MB of RAM, too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 06:11 PM

Did you actually do an upgrade install? Try an Archive and Install instead.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Did you actually do an upgrade install? Try an Archive and Install instead.
I did the upgrade. Will Archive and Install do any good for me now?

I get to my desktop, all upgraded and looking good, but the spinning beachball is there. I notice that WeatherPop and MenuCalendarClock in the menubar didn't load and the Macintosh HD icon didn't load on the desktop. It's like it is getting stalled somewhere. And no, I didn't have the notorious APE app installed.

Is there any way I can have it startup with the bare essentials so I can turn-off any other apps loading? Help!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mjames View Post
I did the upgrade. Will Archive and Install do any good for me now?
Sure.
I get to my desktop, all upgraded and looking good, but the spinning beachball is there. I notice that WeatherPop and MenuCalendarClock in the menubar didn't load and the Macintosh HD icon didn't load on the desktop. It's like it is getting stalled somewhere. And no, I didn't have the notorious APE app installed.

Is there any way I can have it startup with the bare essentials so I can turn-off any other apps loading? Help!
That's what safe boot (which you did) does.
What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? (Mac OS X)

I would try the archive/install option.

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 11:13 PM

Check out the comment by "Scott" here: OSX Leopard Is So Close | Jangro.com

He has the same computer and had the SAME problem as me. Like me, the upgrade went smoothly on his iMac, too. Luckily, the Powerbook is just my backup system, so I think I'm going to have to do a clean install. Really odd, but Finder seems to be crashed.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 08:23 PM

I can tell you that my shiny new iMac 2.8, the finder was also acting slow and weird. Brand new install, no haxies. Upgrading from 1 GB of RAM to 3 GB solved everything. It's now Snappy like it's supposed to be.

super-structure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 01:05 PM

I've had the same issue with my wife's G4 iBook, even using the archive and "erase and install" option. 10.5 seemed to work smoothly, even after transferring all her settings and documents, via migration manager to the upgraded machine off of a external firewire backup. I should note that I did not transfer all her applications initially, as some were no longer needed and I wanted to take the opportunity to weed those out.

Apparently, one that I did copy over manually or download and install has affected the machine during boot-up. After the dock has loaded, Finder either will not load or hangs during loading. This of course results in a SBBOD and a very un-usable system (and a most un-happy wife who now mocks me and my promises of a "better mac experience"). I simply haven't had the time to use safe mode to try and narrow down which app causes the problem, though. I have a suspicion that it is Quicksilver, though, as this is one of the few apps I installed (latest version, mind you) that is loaded upon start-up.

Anyone else had any success in finding problem apps on a PPC machine?

I should note that a similar install method was flawless on my Core Duo iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules