Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Power After Hard Drive Replacement

No Power After Hard Drive Replacement
Barked
Sep 4, 2008, 07:34 AM

I recently attempted to upgrade my MacBook's 80 gb hard drive to a Western Digital 320 gb. Clearly, it is a very easy operation (compared to a G4 tower). Followed the Apple documented instructions and within 10 minutes had the new drive installed and the battery back in and locked. Attached the power cord, pressed the power button: nothing. I took the battery out, removed the AC power and held to power button down for five seconds: nothing. I reinstalled the old hard drive: nothing. I was properly grounded throughout the process. I can't understand what may have happened. Anyone have any thoughts?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2008, 02:07 PM

Bizarre. You didn't try putting the new HDD in the wrong way round did you because I heard that there's a connector you can damage by doing that.

Do you get the charge light on the power adaptor?

With the battery out, put your ear on the keyboard and connect the power adaptor, can you hear a faint whine?

Have you tried re-seating the memory?

Barked  (op)
Sep 4, 2008, 03:16 PM

It was put in the correct way, and gently. I did re-seat the memory, same result.

The light on the power adapter does light up. I'll try listening for a whine. I heard through someone else that the power reset time is not 5 seconds but 20. I plan to try that when I am back front of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2008, 03:41 PM

Do you still have AppleCare?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Barked  (op)
Sep 4, 2008, 03:48 PM

Yes

ibook_steve
Sep 4, 2008, 09:14 PM

If you remove the drive, can you at least boot to the flashing folder/question mark?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Barked  (op)
Sep 5, 2008, 07:40 AM

I didn't try that. It is now at an authorized Apple service shop. I shoudl know today what the problem is.

Barked  (op)
Sep 8, 2008, 01:49 PM

Turns out the power button is bad. Coincidence that it crapped out when I swapped the drive.

Go figure...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2008, 02:12 PM

Hmm. Did you remove the top case then? It's possible you somehow damaged the ribbon cable where it connects to the trackpad connector but that should be covered by a piece of plastic.
Well that gives me hope because I accidentally broke the ribbon cable from the top case to the logic board, resulting in the same problem.

Congrats on getting it fixed.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barked View Post
Turns out the power button is bad. Coincidence that it crapped out when I swapped the drive.

Go figure...
Dell has had the problem. A lot of D505 Latitudes had their button get worn out. Be gentle!
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Barked  (op)
Sep 9, 2008, 10:33 AM

nope didn't take the top case off. the guy fixing it said it isn't uncommon, just a coincidence that it happened at the same time.

Thanks. It will be ice to have it back. Thank god for Applecare!
( Last edited by Barked; Sep 9, 2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: wasn't finished)

Forum Links
Forum Rules