Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ATA/IDE/RAID and other mysteries

ATA/IDE/RAID and other mysteries
sethwrks
Nov 10, 2008, 01:01 PM

Sooo... hopefully i put this in the right spot!

I have a G4/400 runnin 10.3.9 desktop that really is only a print server/peripheral manager. I just bought a IDE 500G hard drive that i put in an old firewire enclosure.
I also have an SATA external drive, I think its 250G. One of those "MyBooks" (which i cant stand actually, its sooo sloow) that i yanked the HD out of.

Now the fun part...
A) Is there such a thing as a Raid Enclosure that could handle the 2 different kinds of drives?
B) My new 500G doesn't give me all 500G, so its recommended that i buy a controller card ( ATA/100, I believe) to get the full 500G out of it.

What would be my best option here...or is there something else i can do to get
all this stuff together in one pretty package and fully functional?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 01:38 PM

I don't think there's an enclosure that has PATA and SATA together.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2008, 02:39 PM

What's the B) part about? How much of the drive can you actually see?

sethwrks  (op)
Nov 10, 2008, 11:41 PM

the 500gig drive only gives me 138(ish)gig of space; because the manual says my computer wont "handle" All of the drive space. the manual that came with the drive recommends an "ata/100 controller card" for my computer to use the rest of the drive.

i was tryin to figure out which would be more advantagous, buy the card or getting a raid box for the 2 drives i have.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2008, 03:50 AM

Right, but you put the 500 GB drive in an enclosure, right? The 137 GB limitation comes from the enclosure and it's lack of 48-bit addressing (a part of the "ATA133" spec). Get a newer enclosure that does >137 GB drives, and you'll be fine. :-P

If you've actually connected the hard drive to your computer natively, then you might as well get an ATA133 controller card.

sethwrks  (op)
Nov 12, 2008, 10:08 AM

Gotcha! TY All for the insight!

Forum Links
Forum Rules