Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Macbook Pro Or Mac Pro

Macbook Pro Or Mac Pro
dantewaters
Dec 1, 2008, 02:01 AM

I edit HD content (DVCPRO HD / HDV)
using Final cut, and am looking to train a few individuals to edit as well.

The dilemma

Mac pro 8 core 2gigs of Ram NVidia 8800Gt 3k

or

Macbook Pro 2.4 2gigs of ram base model

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 03:51 AM

How much are you willing to pay, and do you need the portability?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 06:23 AM

If you need the portability get the MBP. I you don't or if you require the extra performance get the MP.

Keep in mind that you will want enough RAM plus a large and fast disk (or several actually). Getting those form a third-party is a lot cheaper than getting it from Apple. In 99% of the cases RAM and disk are more important than an extra 5% clock. And remember that while the 8800 is a great card if you're planning on using your MP for games, it's not a cost-efficient choice for FCP.

And finally, if you're on a tight budget consider the refurb store. It's a great way to save money and still get good performance.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 2, 2008, 01:34 PM

FYI, for Final Cut Studio, the stock ATI graphics card is superior to the 8800GT.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2008, 01:55 PM

Obviously the Mac Pro is a better choice.

That said, I have a MacBook Pro, and DVCPRO HD is a breeze. I've even worked with Red footage in the field on set checking shots, and it's not bad.

If you really don't need portability, get the Mac Pro.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 03:17 AM

The MP is far stronger, the only choice - - - unless you need portability in which case the MBP is the only choice.

-Allen Wicks

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2008, 06:57 AM

As the others have said, it's a decision whether you want to/need to be mobile or not. If you do, then you have no choice. If you don't, the choice is easy

In any case, you should up the RAM to 4+ GB, no matter which machine you get.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
In any case, you should up the RAM to 4+ GB, no matter which machine you get.
Indeed. Moving forward RAM will be becoming more and more important. The additional RAM that MPs can address is a very big plus for MPs. IMO 4x2=8 GB RAM is the minimum folks should put in MPs to start.

One good RAM source is OWC: http://otherworldcomputing.com/. The 2-GB size DIMMs are the smallest size to buy; with only 8 RAM slots available the 4-GB size is preferable but is still selling at higher cost per GB. However cost per GB is close enough now (~$700 v. ~$420 for 16 GB) that I personally will not be buying anything but 4-GB or larger sized DIMMs for Mac Pros in the future.

-Allen Wicks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
IMO 4x2=8 GB RAM is the minimum folks should put in MPs to start.
Well, bear in mind that the 2008-model Mac Pro will only reach top RAM performance with all 8 RAM slots occupied. That's why I bought with the stock 2GB (2x1GB modules) and added six more 1GB modules, for a total of 8GB occupying all slots. (The minimum configuration of two modules reaches around 6.5GB/sec, having all 8 slots filled reaches 7.5GB/sec, a significant improvement.)

bearcatrp
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 04:13 PM

Wait for the 17 inch MBP to be refreshed at macworld in january. I have a feeling jobs will stick a quad core in it like the other manufacturers have done. If so, its going to cost allot. HP's quad core laptop runs around 3 grand so expect apple to do the same if not more.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules