Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > weird laughing problem

weird laughing problem
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2009, 11:41 AM

my friend has a macbook which emits a weird laughing sound at random several times a day. OS is 10.4

the problem could be connected to universal access, because she also had a problem with the contrast on her computer being turned up too high which began at the same time, which we fixed after finding this thread on macosxhints

but the other advice in that thread doesn't work - her voiceover is turned off. She seems to have had Audition or something related to Audition on her computer at some stage, there are png files in the library under Adobe CS3, but I don't know how thats relevant.....

she is convinced its a virus btw although we ran a virus check which turned up nothing. She wants to wipe and re-install her software, but I'm guessing there's a much simpler solution....?

all help much appreciated!
( Last edited by yugyug; Jan 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added os info)
ππ>_<ππ

ibook_steve
Jan 20, 2009, 11:47 AM

Best. Thread. Title. Ever.

;-)

A number of things to check: alarm clock settings (ringing on every half hour or hour?), sound settings (what sound is assigned to the error beep?), what programs are running when this occurs, does it happen after a reboot if the system is just left alone.

There's lots of things to check.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2009, 11:56 AM

Bingo!

It was the alarm set to "ring" aka "laugh" on the hour. You would not believe how relieved my friend is.....she thought someone had hacked into her system and was about to run off with her bank account or something..!

thanks steve!
ππ>_<ππ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2009, 08:28 AM

Was it laughing at her or with her?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2009, 02:37 PM

yugyug, glad your friend got her
yukyuk fixed

mactoids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2009, 05:50 PM

You should have messed with your friend's head for a few days ... "Laughing sound? I don't hear anything. What's the matter with you - you crazy or something?"
mactoids.com  work smarter
mac os x tips and imac history

Forum Links
Forum Rules