Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP problem - glitchy video and audio with static

MBP problem - glitchy video and audio with static
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 10:33 AM

hi

my macbook pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo has started having a video and audio problem where the video freezes and becomes glitchy, and where the audio does the same but also sounds terrible with LOTS of static. Happens in VLC, quicktime, and Itunes (audio problem only). It tends to happen when the macbook is hot and running multiple apps. Some video is worse than others. Having multiple quicktime windows open (but playing them separately) will often cause the problem, but not always.

I'm also getting the occasional kernal panic, about once every 2 weeks, I'm not sure its related - these all say "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: firefox-bin" - is firefox causing the problem? I keep it running all the time.

I have not installed any new hardware or software before or since the problem started happening, other than smsFanControl, which I think has made the macbook a little cooler. OSX 10.5.8 is updated, as is firefox v.3.5.3 . Apple hardware test says everything is ok.

Any ideas as to how I can pinpoint the problem? Up till now the macbook has been running great, with the exception of the battery (no red indicator or battery level low warning for about a year - doesn't bother me much though.)

thanks in advance
ππ>_<ππ

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2009, 05:18 AM

UPDATE - in an attempt to fix the kernel panic problem rather than the video/audio problem, I reset the SMC. I now get the error message "computer was restarted after mac os x quit unexpectedly" on normal restart, every time i.e the computer is not crashing but I still get the error message saying it was. No other problems.

I ran a disk repair from the install disc (there was a "minor problem with the volume header), but this did not help.
ππ>_<ππ

Forum Links
Forum Rules