Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Question about redundant folders in Mail.app

Question about redundant folders in Mail.app
mjames
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2011, 09:15 PM

So I have a Mobile Me account, but I'm confused why Mail.app has created a separate section in my folders list with my mnjames[at]mac.com account. In the attached screen shot, it's the last section listed. I don't understand why these folders are there; when I receive mail, they should go to the Inbox on my computer, then to the Trash on my computer when deleted. In this case, I have 3 trash folders (my computer's Trash, and two Deleted Messages folders on the mnjames[at]mac.com section. Redundant.

My real problem is this: I often get spam that goes into the Junk folder under mnjames[at]mac.com. I do not have junk mail filtering on in the settings. I run SpamSieve and have a rule in place that catches most spam and puts it in the Spam folder. But somehow I frequently get spam that SpamSieve doesn't catch and it goes into the Junk folder. VERY annoying since it makes my inbox look like I have a new message.

So I just want to get rid of the whole mnjames[at]mac.com section at the bottom, it's redundant and annoying. Help?!

EDIT: I was able to just delete the folders, so appear to have fixed this problem. Strange why they were created, though.
( Last edited by mjames; Apr 26, 2011 at 09:26 PM. )
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2011, 10:29 PM

Those messages are stored on the server, the others on your Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules