Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > C++

C++
iMan_ca
Mar 24, 2000, 05:06 AM

I guess this would be the best place to put this. I am learning C++ and Pascal for PC. I want to learn C++ for Mac so I can build and port PC software to the Mac. I dont know what the difference in C++ for Win and Mac is. I imagine a lot. Any one could help me would be great, web resources, a helping hand what ever.
MacCanada That was my first internet name, before long to many people had it. To tell you the truth I havent seen any one use it for a while. Are you West Coast or East Coast.

Seagull
Mar 24, 2000, 06:58 AM

As you probably know, programming languages like C and C++, the plain language themselves must be distinguish from the language with Macintosh or Windows elements. Basically, the plain language stay almost the same, if not the same, from Windows to Macintosh but the language with Macintosh elements are very different from Windows.

I don't know of any site that cover C++ but there is a good site covering the C language. It is called Macintosh C and it is at http://www.mactech.com/macintosh-c/

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 03-24-2000).]

MacCanada
Mar 24, 2000, 12:33 PM

http://www.codewarrior.com/ is a good start, (so are their products, or so i hear...)

A Good Person to ask iMan_ca, what's the
equiv. of AppleScript on a PC (and no Batch files dont count), VB?, if not VB, what would be next?...

BTW i'm in Edmonton, Alberta

------------------
PGP key: http://www.geocities.com/maccanada/pgpkey.html
-30-
-- An idea is salvation by imagination.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
-- 30 --

iMan_ca
Mar 24, 2000, 01:37 PM

I don't think there is a equiv to applescript on the PC end. So far I have done alot of Hypercard programing, and little bit of applescript. Moving to C++ is a big step. I have learned and still learning Pascal.

I am in Vancouver, BC Nice and Warm

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2000, 12:49 AM

Hi all:

To iMan_ca:
-----------
As someone who has the (mis?)fortune of programming for Windows as well as Mac OS (and Unix, MVS, etc.), I'll venture to agree with Seagull. The core C/C++ language is (by definition) identical on all platforms; the same is monre-or-less true for (the syntax of) the standard C/C++ libraries, algorithms & templates. So, a relatively "pure" ('Hello World'-type) app that uses no GUI elements will run generally the same on all platforms.

However, differences do arise because of the tertiary GUI and I/O routines that most real-world apps must use -- i.e., the platform-specific OS libraries & APIs which exist "on top of" pure C/C++. Nevertheless, there are many concepts shared in common by Mac OS and Windows (e.g., event loops, GDI Device Context / Quickdraw Grafport, etc.). In addition, the modern re-organized Mac OS APIs (Universal Interfaces 3.x) are more-or-less equivalent to the Win32 APIs, especially if you will be dealing only with PowerPC. Similarly, the Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Mac OS suite (mentioned by MacCanada) includes a PowerPlant framework that is very similar to Microsoft's MFC framework, as well as a wealth of documentation about Mac OS (including some porting issues).

In addition to the 'Macintosh C' web site mentioned by Seagull, some resources you may find useful include the following:-
To MacCanada:
-------------
You may recall that Microsoft once touted the Windows Script Host (WSH) layer as the scripting environment of choice for Win9x. [See Microsoft's official Windows Scripting Technologies web site.] WSH was supposed to be sufficiently flexible to support many languages (including VBScript), and in other ways was more powerful than "pure" AppleScript (minus OSAXen). Unfortunately, users haven't paid too much attention to WSH or any of the other Microsoft scripting technologies. However, this may change with Win2K, who knows?

Regards,

--Paul

iMan_ca
Mar 25, 2000, 03:40 AM

Thanx Paul, alot of good help there. I have only been looking at C++ for a week, How long does it take to learn it. Cause I have done a little Pascal it looks a little bit the same but then there are so many things that are total dif.

MacCanada
how does one become a Moderator and what do you think of a Canadian Mac forum for Canadian Issues, such as the London Drugs problem. If they are making a big mess in Alberta like in BC you know what I mean.

MacCanada
Mar 26, 2000, 11:36 AM

What London Drugs problem?,
the three or 4 locations i have been to here
in town, have had good Mac Exposure, and good
"demo" app selection
(once you turn off Apple's "Atract Loop")

what's it like in BC?...

------------------
PGP key: http://www.geocities.com/maccanada/pgpkey.html
-30-
-- An idea is salvation by imagination.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
-- 30 --

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2000, 04:21 PM

Hi iMan_ca,

Hmmmm, that's a very good question... it's rather hard to say how long it would take to learn C++ starting from a Pascal base. Among other things, it will depend on just how proficient in C++ you'd like to become, how proficient in Pascal you already are, how much free time you have available to devote to this, and how complex your applications will be.

Speaking from my own experience (I learned Pascal many years before I took up C/C++), the "pure" syntactic features of C/C++ -- e.g., '{'/'}' instead of 'begin'/'end' pairs, or '->' instead of '^' for pointer references -- become second nature quite quickly. On the other hand, the pragmatic features and "style" of an object-oriented language like C++ (as distinct from procedural languages such as Pascal or indeed C) can take considerably more time to master.

Of course, if you've used some form of Object Pascal and are already familiar with the object-oriented approach, then the battle is more than half-won. Also, if you've already had a lot of practice with common application elements (GUI design, event-driven processing) then the practical differences between the languages will also be greatly minimized. Finally, on all platforms, most modern development environments and frameworks offer "Rapid Application Development" (RAD) assistance such as standard GUI widget collections, prefabricated code snippets, built-in object behaviours, etc. If you're lucky, you won't actually have to write too much code in any language! ;-)

BTW, in addition to the Mac-specific resources mentioned earlier, there are also many platform-neutral resources provided in the C++ Resources on the Internet list -- including a tutorial on C++ for Pascal programmers. In the bookstores, you can also find commercial (but largely Windows-oriented) alternatives, such as the 'C++ for Pascal Programmers' book by Ira Pohl.

Regards,

--Paul

iMan_ca
Mar 26, 2000, 10:33 PM

I have been to 4 locations and one had the iMac unpluged, never turn it on. The others had the iMac next to a PC of the same price except the PC included more stuff, the little iMac can't compete like that. No demo software or anything. It was not good. According to the the Store in Surry, ICQ is not out for Mac it is a PC only software....

One store had a OK setup. I am glad they are doing a better job there.

vsurfer
Senior User
Dec 3, 2000, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by iMan_ca:
I have been to 4 locations and one had the iMac unpluged, never turn it on. The others had the iMac next to a PC of the same price except the PC included more stuff, the little iMac can't compete like that. No demo software or anything. It was not good. According to the the Store in Surry, ICQ is not out for Mac it is a PC only software....

One store had a OK setup. I am glad they are doing a better job there.
Funny,

I live on long Island and I had exactly the opposite experience:I could see how it could happen in reverse in another place.

I went to 4 PC stores, the PC sales men were unknowledgeable and pushy. The accessories were totally bogus obsolete scanners and printers you couldn't give away. THe monitor was .27 dot pitch and crappy.

I then visited a store where the imac was not only functioning but being demonstrated by a helpful Apple rep.

Guess what I ended up buying? (PS when i factored in replacing all the bogus PC peripherals including the monitor which was unacceptable, with parts the same quality as the imac DV's, the bottom line was about the same.

I was happily doing analog to digital video with in no time and having a ball. (But I could see how it could happen the opposite way in a badly managed store.)

Cipher13
Dec 5, 2000, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by MacCanada:
http://www.codewarrior.com/ is a good start, (so are their products, or so i hear...)

A Good Person to ask iMan_ca, what's the
equiv. of AppleScript on a PC (and no Batch files dont count), VB?, if not VB, what would be next?...

BTW i'm in Edmonton, Alberta

Hey, cool!
Home of the Oilers!!

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules