Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wifi on MBP vs iphone

wifi on MBP vs iphone
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2012, 06:56 PM

just wondering, why is my reception on my iphone 4 better than on my new macbook pro?

I have to use a weak wifi signal a few times a week and my MBP only occasionally connects to it, whereas my iphone connects everytime no problem. I actually use the iphone as a hotspot for that signal even though the two are just sitting next to each other on the desk.

I would have thought the MBP has better reception - isn't the whole screen one big antenna?
ππ>_<ππ

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 07:40 PM

I'm not that surprised by that. Previous MBPs have had WIFI issues because their metal cases reduce their WIFI signal pickup, and that may not have changed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2012, 08:51 PM

ok thanks for the info.... I assume then that my MBP is not just a dud!
ππ>_<ππ

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2012, 08:01 AM

MBPs have multiple antennas for WiFi, but the metal case can cause those antennas to be less effective in certain directions. The iPhone's glass front and back don't cause that sort of problem, so it's not uncommon for an iPhone to get better signals when in the same location as an MBP that gets worse signals. Try turning the MBP in a different direction; that will change the way the antennas and case are lined up with the base station, and could improve the MBP's signal significantly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2012, 10:25 PM

thanks ghporter.... I didn't think this was going to result in a satisfactory solution because my desk faces a certain way and cant be changed, but I wanted to try it anyway and when I did I moved my external monitor away from my MBP and immediately saw the wifi signal jump up. So the actual problem was that the signal was being blocked by this monitor! Problem solved
ππ>_<ππ

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 22, 2012, 07:34 AM

Glad to have helped.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules