Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > help needed

help needed
JetShave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2001, 07:45 AM

I have an iMac DV with 192MB of RAM. It came installed with Mac OS 9.04 but I have just upgraded to 9.1 I am now having a big problem in that every time I try to send an email the OE5.02 quits with error 2.

I have tried everything I can think of - restarting, reinstalling OE (keeping my old identities), dumping my identities and restarting with a fresh OE, dumping preferences. Nothing works. I need this email for my work and don't prticularly want to change programmes as I have everything in this one and I've been using it for a while so I'm well used to it. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful to know about them
regards

------------------
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com

Cipher13
Feb 15, 2001, 08:31 AM

MS apps seem to dislike 9.1 severely - moreso than usual.
All I can suggest is use something else (not so good a response, I know).
I can't really help with the problem, as my comp is an official MS-Free zone, but you'll be much happier with Netscape Communicator and its Messenger anyway.

Cipher13

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2001, 02:50 PM

You could go back to 9.0.4 since its a rock?
Later
Chuck

JetShave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2001, 04:13 PM

I must admit that I prefer the idea of stepping back to .04 to changing to Netscape - I was on Communicator for a long time before changing to Microsoft and felt that OE was better for my particular needs. Having spent the time and money downloading 9.1 however I feel that I should give it more of a chance. Does anyone feel 9.1 is a significant improvement (or the contrary!)

In the meantime to allay (or compound!) my emailing woes I downloaded Eudora today and am having a play with it. It transferred my OE files like a dream which was a good start (incidentally my French version of OE would NOT import my English OE files!!) and though the environment is going to take some getting used to I think I may adapt OK. Has anyone had experience of this email client and any thoughts on it?

------------------
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com

TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2001, 04:55 PM

Possibly simple solution -- at least there's no harm in trying. If you have a lot of saved e-mail, saved attachments, and whatnot, the OE mail file can get quite big (mine was upwards of 100 MB). I found that constant reading and writing to it can cause corruption, which will cause those types of crashes.

I would try rebuilding your OE data. Simply, hold down the <option> key while opening OE. When it asks if you want to compact/ rebuild your file, click "yes," and wait a little bit while it does it's work.

Another thing you can do (in addition to the above) is archive old OE mail. There is a very good OE Archiver available. I forgot the name, but it's called something like OE Archive. Look for it on versiontracker.com. At the very least you will get those old e-mails out of the OE data file that is in constant use.

As far as 9.1, I find it MUCH more stable than 9.0.4 on my system. I'm a pretty heavy user and I am used to having to restart perhaps 5 times per day. After installing 9.1, that is down to 1 time a day, if even that. And the culprit tends to be the same -- Internet Explorer. The crashes are almost always while I am in there, or after I have just left.

I found Eudora harder to use than either OE or Netscape for mail, but I know some people like it. I found it harder to learn, and with its multiple windows, window positioning became a pain -- it had a hard time remembering where I placed windows, and they would constantly get in each other's way.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.

TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2001, 07:06 PM

Here ya' go. Here is the link to the Outlook Express Archive page on versiontracker. As you can see, most users seem to like it.

Click here: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=7349

I am willing to bet that, if you have an unweildy data file, and you archive some of the older stuff as well as have OE clean up the data file, you won't have those errors any more.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by TT Esq (edited 02-15-2001).]

JetShave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2001, 12:07 AM

Many thanks for your help so far, but...
I have taken my identities folder out of the programme altogether so nothing left to archive, re done the First Run Installer so it's a brand new OE with the welcome message, put in a test message to send hit the send & receive and voil� - quit with error 2!! (if there is no send message, it receives OK!)

I am now trying to switch off every single extension that's not needed for Outlook Express so that if it works then I can use conflict catcher to sort out the problem (this has to be an extensions/control panel problem surely?!!) The trouble is I can't seem to find that Utopian point - I've got everything switched which seems to be relevant but when I double click it runs First Run and quits without an alert.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the extensions needed only to run OE? that would be very helpful!
thanks

------------------
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2001, 03:40 AM

JetShave:

You asked about experiences concerning Eudora. I personally prefer it greatly over OE. You're right, the interface takes a little getting used to. But once you do, you'll find Eudora is extremely powerful and customizable, more so than OE. Its also a lot more stable, and archives email in a much safer manner, lessening the chance of loosing all your email in a crash. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules