Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Convert

Convert
JetShave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 06:59 PM

A couple of years ago I converted to IExx rather to my surprise and certainly against my better judgement! It was very much closer to what I wanted from a browser compared with Netscape. Since I've had my iMac with system 9, however I've had crashes galore and it's been a big disaster- but we tend to stick to what we know so I soldiered on regardless, finger permanently poised over the restart button.

A few weeks ago there was talk on these pages about a browser called iCab so I duly downloaded it and gave it a try but was not comfortable so went back to IE. However these last couple of days after losing a couple of half hours of work through crashes deliberately timed as I was reaching for my save button I'd HAD IT!!!!
So I took my copy of iCab from the hard disk, dusted it off and set about setting up the preferences. Very soon I had a browser that wasn't a million miles away from what I was used to with IE, much faster AND NO CRASHES! Sorry, I didn't mean to shout, but I'M SO HAPPY! (oops!)

So the moral of the story is is that if anyone is suffering with IE who doesn't want to be then by all means tell 'em about iCab, but don't forget to tell 'em about the preferences - it can make the difference between success and further suffering!!

I thought I'd share this with you...

------------------
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com
Jon Nettlefold
jetshave.com

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2001, 04:07 AM

my iCab expired a while back... i never use it, so there was no point in updating

IE RULES!

------------------
Bored, Albert is.
Speak like Yoda, he will.

Email address of him, [email protected] is.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

VRL
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:08 AM

When will iCab final be released? Anyone know?

Until they release it, I will use Netscape 4.76. I have few problems with it - it rarely crashes on Macs I've installed it on (G3's with OS 9.0.4 and 9.1, Performa 5215 with 8.6). (Some of us just don't like IE.)
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules