Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AFI -keep the music flowing

AFI -keep the music flowing
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2001, 11:13 PM

With all of the MTV sucks and such going on in the lounge now I suppose I should mention this band. I saw AFI at the local lounge stage of I believe it was Ozzfest 99 or 00. Great show, great music, just some local guys doing what they love. Since then they have gotten some local Air play, not sure if they are national yet.

But the part of the show that sticks out was how the producers of the show were gonna pull the plug because too many fans were running up and stage diving. Then some a$$ hole stole some chicks shirt and was running out of the mosh pit. The lead singer sees this and stops the song, demands that he give her her shirt back or he was gonna come down there and kick his a$$. The guy was smart enough to realize that he was vastly outnumbered and did return the shirt.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

capone
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 04:20 PM

What an idiot. At least he was embarrassed in front of a bunch of people.

AFI isn't half bad though. I like The Days of the Pheonix. They would be better if their voices were lower though.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2001, 04:20 PM

Wow, a thread devoted to AFI... I'm a huge fan of their music, but I never thought this would happen.

I was going to see them on Warped Tour this year, but I didn't have money or time to get to Boston hopefully they'll come to Wash, DC this year.

AFI is pretty big in the underground scene, punk/hardcore especially. But I really doubt you'll ever hear them on any "respectable" or non-college radio station outside of the East Bay area.

And the fact that they stopped the show for that girl is pretty cool... Actually, listening to their music, I'd be more surprised if they didn't stop the show.

But, yes.. AFI cool band, awesome music, and from what I hear awesome live show.

heh, heh.. I'm listening to 'Cruise Control' now and some girls just walked by and looked at me like I was a 3 headed unic. (if you've heard the song, you'll know why) Heh, freshman can be funny sometimes.

[edit: I can't spell, even in OnmiWeb...]

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: Earth Mk. II ]
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

juanvaldes  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
<STRONG>Wow, a thread devoted to AFI... I'm a huge fan of their music, but I never thought this would happen.

I was going to see them on Warped Tour this year, but I didn't have money or time to get to Boston hopefully they'll come to Wash, DC this year.
That sucks man, they are a great show. Cool to hear that they get some national exposure.

AFI is pretty big in the underground scene, punk/hardcore especially. But I really doubt you'll ever hear them on any "respectable" or non-college radio station outside of the East Bay area.
yeah, underground is where all of the real musician are, not producer made crap like the backdoor boys and N*suck. Yeah, Live105, KSJO, umm...Stanford's station play them. But that is it that I know of.

And the fact that they stopped the show for that girl is pretty cool... Actually, listening to their music, I'd be more surprised if they didn't stop the show.

But, yes.. AFI cool band, awesome music, and from what I hear awesome live show.
Indeed they are. Stage diving, just a mob seen at the smallest stage and (except maybe slipknot) by FAR the best act of the evening.

heh, heh.. I'm listening to 'Cruise Control' now and some girls just walked by and looked at me like I was a 3 headed unic. (if you've heard the song, you'll know why) Heh, freshman can be funny sometimes.

[edit: I can't spell, even in OnmiWeb...]

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: Earth Mk. II ]</STRONG>
cruise control? Which album is that off of? I have The art of Drowning (which has 'days of the phoenix' GREAT song capone) and the All hallos eve LP. Love that one, even if it is only four songs.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2001, 07:33 PM

Cruise Control is off of "Very Proud of Ya" (same album as 'The Secret Ninja') It's one of their first albums and kinda hard to find, but it's very recognizable, (chorus = "I don't want to **** you, I don't want to **** you. I don't want to **** you, so **** you!")

"Very Proud of Ya" and "The Art of Drowning" are the only 2 albums I have (excepting a few various MP3's) and it's interesting to compare the two and see how they've progressed musically. For starters, they hardly swear as much as they used to, and I think the writing have improved quite a bit too... but they're still 2 very solid and very good albums.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Forum Links
Forum Rules