Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm an Apple employee (no, seriously)

I'm an Apple employee (no, seriously)
chris_h
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2001, 11:16 PM

Well, I got back this morning from a job interview yesterday in Austin (i'm home for the summer). Via a friend of a friend type deal, I interviewed for a tech support (phone) position for a little computer maker called Apple (they make iMacs and assorted other goodies).
Most (I believe all, actually) of their phone support is done out of austin.
I actually was interviewed by a staffing agency guy, it's a sort of temp-to-hire arrangement, which he says is how they do it for most everyone. I had to take a written test, and i'd like to extend mad props to cipher for all the tutoring on resedit and the ins and outs of os9... without that I woulda failed.

Anyway i'm not gonna be in any position to have "sensitive" information... in fact someone mentioned that except for the higher-ups, we won't know about keynote product releases until just before (if not at the time of).

I'll be doing basically what I did at TimeWarner (RoadRunner), except I'll never have to talk anyone through 'mashing the start button' :::shudder:::

So, I'm pretty excited, but I don't start until the first of september (when I'll be back in a-town for school).

----
On a halfway related note, when I was driving to austin (assearly yesterday morning), I had a tire blowout halfway between here and Waco. Luckily I had allowed myself an extra couple hours (actually that was cherrios' idea, I was originally gonna leave just in time... gracias!), anyway I put on my spare tire from the trunk (one of those weird small things that you're supposed to drive slow w/ till you can get a real tire) and hobbled my car (on the advice of the antique store owner who's parking lot i changed tires in) to a little redneck operation called "J&L's Auto" (this was in a wide spot in the road known as Malakoff) to get a used tire, but I didn't have quite enough cash, so I traded the money I had and my brother's portable cd player which was sitting in the back for a tire. I was on a quest, damnit, and I would stop at nothing. But anyway this rambling has no point so I'll stop... APPLE APPLE APPLE!!! (sorry i'm a bit excited).

-chris

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2001, 11:18 PM

Congratulations! May you have nothing but pleasant support questions
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

capone
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 11:21 PM

Yeah, well I OWN part (14 shares) of Apple so get on your knees and beg for mercy.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: capone ]

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Cipher13
Jul 12, 2001, 11:29 PM

Congrats man, nice work - heres to Apple Tech Support!

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2001, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Congrats man, nice work - heres to Apple Tech Support! </STRONG>
Wow, Cipher actually is cheering for a CURRENT part of Apple.

Anyway, congratulations dude. I'm happy for ya. By the way, do you get any deals on Macs and Apple software by any chance?

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2001, 01:24 AM

who hoo!! Congrats!! Glad ot hear I helped you out! you're buying my iBook, dude!!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

finboy
Jul 13, 2001, 11:55 AM

Good job, C. Good luck. Next time you have an interview, make sure that you ask some of these questions (via G. Carlin):

1. What is their policy on Monday/Friday absenteeism?

2. Can you get an office of your own, so you don't have to work next to any of the a**holes who work at the place?

3. Most importantly, can you get a desk near the door so you can get the f*ck out of there at 5 o' clock?

4. How do they feel about personal phone calls?

5. What is their policy about drinking on the job?

Just a few things to take care of. I wish I could remember all of the little details that Carlin threw in, that's a classic routine.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2001, 01:16 PM

Congrats Chris!

I'm still lookin' fo my way "in" over at Apple.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2001, 02:37 PM

Congratulations Chris; you are the lucky one.

Hope your customers will never give you a hard time and that you will have lots of fun with your co-workers.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2001, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
<STRONG>Just a few things to take care of. I wish I could remember all of the little details that Carlin threw in, that's a classic routine.</STRONG>
Tell him you don't need a 2-martini lunch, but you've got to have a 1-joint coffee break.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2001, 02:57 PM

great job! glad to see that you're back on your feet.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

suprz
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2001, 07:27 PM

comgrats.....if we tell you that we are macnn'ers do we get special treatment?/
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2001, 10:08 PM

Congrats. Despite some rumblings and mumblings from the peanut gallery, I've always had very pleasant experiences with Apple support, so I expect the same from you! I hope they're as fun to work with as they are to deal with over the phone.

Gaijin
Jul 16, 2001, 07:03 AM

Congratulations! And good luck !
Stand tall and shake the heavens!

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2001, 09:48 AM

As someone who works in technical support (for a wholly unrelated software company), I have to warn you. It's can be an exhausting, thankless job. Be prepared to be yelled at, called stupid, have your company be cursed vehemently. Be prepared to have the person on the end of the line be 100% willing to get you in trouble if it means they get what they want. Act in good conscience, and in accordance with your guidelines, and your boss (if he/she is worth anything) will back you up. On the bright side, when people are glad to hear from you, and you're able to help them, and they're better off for it, that's a nice feeling... it's probably never dull, too.

have fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules