Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Motorola V3 Razr owners here?...and also list your cell phone!

Any Motorola V3 Razr owners here?...and also list your cell phone!
V12
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 09:19 PM

Just got a Motorola Razr today and was wondering what phone you guys have

btw - for the razr owners out there how do you use your razr with your mac, right now i dont have the cord do i need that ?

all i was able to do was transfer a few mp3s over

ill try to post pics soon..right now im still playing around with it

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 09:28 PM

I was looking at the razr and it felt rather cheap to me as most of it is plastic and not metal like it looks. I also hear the OS isn't that great.

I have a SE T637.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Link
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 09:38 PM

I have a *gag* Motorola T720i. It was okay .... 2 years ago. Right now it lacks antenna and only works outside, and I am looking into getting a new phone, but if you want bluetooth you gotta pay up bigtime. Wirefly/buy/whatever else uses inphonic offer a full-price rebate on the V330 (which is basically a V600 in a v300's case), but ONLY AFTER 6 months. There's no way I'm trusting that sorta crap.

Amazon offers full price (and sometimes more) rebates on their phones, but they recently changed the rules to where you have to spend at least $39 a month on the voice plan itself... NOT including things such as internet or sms messaging, and I only want to pay $29 a month.

So I have 2 choices, one's to pay $150 for the phone and risk not getting the rebate (not to mention $35 to "activate"), or pay the $150 and not get anything. Both options STINK.

Cingular has a V551(?) and the Razr, both can be had for a good deal if you're willing to pay $39 a month for their service, but their internet service is a huge ripoff, which negates the only reason to HAVE a bluetooth phone. Same goes for verizon.
Aloha

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 09:53 PM

haha solicitation...hey link i gotta v600 thats in perfect working shape, case is a little scratched up, but i got two motorola oem faceplates that will make the phone look newer...if your interested message me...i cna provide pics or something

btw i found the usb cord to hook up my razr to the phone, what can i do now ? lol

f1000
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Link
Cingular has a V551(?) and the Razr, both can be had for a good deal if you're willing to pay $39 a month for their service, but their internet service is a huge ripoff, which negates the only reason to HAVE a bluetooth phone. Same goes for verizon.
The Motorola V551 is a HUGE improvement over my SE t68i. I got 0 bars of reception with my SE when I was at home; now I get a full five bars with my V551. The sound quality of the V551 is also quite impressive and the screen is fantastic.

Cingular offers $24.99 unlimited internet EDGE service. I used to regularly pay over $100/month for AT&T mmode.

Some flaws of the V551 include its weird interface (the SE was pretty bad, too), its lack of memory expansion, and its Class 4 EDGE (some newer phones have Class 10 EDGE). I got tired of waiting for SLVR, so I bought this for now and will upgrade when an iTunes SLVR phone comes out.

I thought about getting the SE s710a and the Palm Treo, but both are too bulky for my taste. If you're looking for a Bluetooth EDGE phone, your options are still limited.

jnrjr79
May 25, 2005, 11:01 PM

I'm crazy about my Treo 600. I've had it for about a year. I'd go with the 650 now though if buying a new one. I'm hoping to hold out for whatever the Treo 700 ends up being, assuming there's no surprise Apple smartphone.

After getting all the functionality of the Treo, I don't know how I'd go back to a normal cell phone.
iMac G5: 1.8 GHz, 20'', 250 GB, 1280 RAM, APX, BT
iBook G3: 700 MHz, 12'', 30 GB, 640 RAM, AP
iPod 2G 20GB
iPod Shuffle 512 MB

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by jnrjr79
I'm crazy about my Treo 600. I've had it for about a year. I'd go with the 650 now though if buying a new one. I'm hoping to hold out for whatever the Treo 700 ends up being, assuming there's no surprise Apple smartphone.

After getting all the functionality of the Treo, I don't know how I'd go back to a normal cell phone.
I like everything about the treo except for that damn giant antenna.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 12:56 AM

Thanks v12 for the offer, but I dunno if I can do that, surely you can get more for one of those on ebay than what a v330 is worth, lol (I'm not kidding).. plus because I don't have a credit rating yet my mom still pays for this (aint she the best?) You can kinda see where my frugality comes in on this

TMobile's "internet" provided you're just using it for basic GPRS purposes costs $5-10 a month. The 'full' service, which functions as a true internet connection, runs $20 a month I think -- plus it's only a 1 year contract. If I was going to go all out on a phone I'd get a Treo 650, but since I already have a PB, I don't really need one of those

jnjr, an interesting thing about Motorola's interface is it can be a little bit quirky, yes -- but it is pretty darn consistent from the mid-2001 stuff till now, I really couldn't care less about the "gradients" though, and to this really like the old-school t720i's interface there.. but the v3xx/v5xx are MUCH better as far as the 'hardware design' goes -- **** those things feel as solid as the startacs of years past.
Aloha

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 05:06 AM

Motorola Razr here for about 2 weeks. Great phone. I use bluetooth for my transfers and syncs. Works with iCal and Address Book, out the box on Tiger at least. Made my own MP3 ringtones and wallpaper for it no problems at all. File transfers are simple as well.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 05:27 AM

Razr looks good but hate the Moto interface. Lack of memory suck as well. The Treo 650 isn't bad but still bulky for a phone.
I have a Nokia 6600 with a 256MB memory card (hot swoppable).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 05:48 AM

No Razr here - I still have my SE T-630 (and a Siemens S65 for work) but would love to get the SE T-750...

storer
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 06:04 AM

Moto V600.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 06:14 AM

Moto v620 here, with a little stumpy aerial instead of the standard one, it cost me £5. No difference in reception, and now I don't do DIY keyhole surgery when I sit down!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I was looking at the razr and it felt rather cheap to me as most of it is plastic and not metal like it looks. I also hear the OS isn't that great.

I have a SE T637.
Exactly what I thought. Cheap, steaming piece of sh*t. The numbers looked like you could either accidentally rip them off, or they were going to fall off on their own.

Nokia 6620.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 09:21 AM

SE T637

I was thinking of upgrading to the Razr, but once I held it at a store I decided against it. It felt cheap and the OS is terrible, especially compared to Sony's OS.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 09:23 AM

i got the new LG A7110 last friday. i get a new phone just about every year since i went cell in late 1997/early 1998 and this now is my favorit of them all. this is my first LG purchase though, and was worried. most of their previous phones had terrible battery life. while i haven't tested out the 3 hour talk time (i'm lucky to make 100 minutes of calls a month), i haven't had to recharge it yet since the first 24 hour charger period. the standby time of 8 days (200 hours) seems realistic to me as i'm on day 7 now without charging.

spatterson
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
No Razr here - I still have my SE T-630 (and a Siemens S65 for work) but would love to get the SE T-750...
I've dropped my S65 so many times... its hopeless now... LOL

I have been thinking about moving to cingular from t-mobile. The Razar looks like a good phone just for normal use. I don't think it looks cheep at all... quite the opposite.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jnrjr79

Another Treo 600 user here. I've been using it for about a year and a half and I love it. Treo + Vindigo is awesome.

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
i got the new LG A7110 last friday. i get a new phone just about every year since i went cell in late 1997/early 1998 and this now is my favorit of them all. this is my first LG purchase though, and was worried. most of their previous phones had terrible battery life. while i haven't tested out the 3 hour talk time (i'm lucky to make 100 minutes of calls a month), i haven't had to recharge it yet since the first 24 hour charger period. the standby time of 8 days (200 hours) seems realistic to me as i'm on day 7 now without charging.

So why in the world did you keep buying LG's?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kikkoman
Senior User
May 26, 2005, 12:35 PM

Another SE T637 here, a great phone.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 02:47 PM

So why in the world did you keep buying LG's?

can you read? try again...it doesn't say anything close to that.

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 02:58 PM

can you read? try again...it doesn't say anything close to that.
What I meant to say is if you were looking at all the old phones and they were such crap why get a current model eve if the battery life seems better.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 03:09 PM

I was worried because they had terrible battery life. Never said anyting else about an LG feature. This one improved on battery. And I never said the old ones "were such crap" as you put it. All I said was they had terrible battery life. You are reading too much into it.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 03:13 PM

I have a v600. It's pretty much the best phone I've had, although I have to "reboot" it occassionally when the bluetooth gets unstable with my Powerbook or Palm connecting for GPRS.

Razr? Droool.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 03:14 PM

I was worried because they had terrible battery life. Never said anyting else about an LG feature. This one improved on battery. And I never said the old ones "were such crap" as you put it. All I said was they had terrible battery life. You are reading too much into it.
I dunno I had Nokia's in the past that had such horrible battery life that even though I saw the new top of line models SAID they improved it I heard from people who got it that it is the same old story.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 03:19 PM

Gotcha.

No worries. It just read like you were putting words into my mouth, er text And yes, my last phone, the Nokia 3600, sucked as battery life. That one was a bad purchase (got it cause of the speakerphone and bluetooth).

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 03:25 PM

Gotcha.

No worries. It just read like you were putting words into my mouth, er text And yes, my last phone, the Nokia 3600, sucked as battery life. That one was a bad purchase (got it cause of the speakerphone and bluetooth).
I had that fancy top of the line Nokia (the silver sliding one). the battery was rated at 3 hours talk but I was seriously lucky to get 25-40 min talk out of it because at the end of the day after it was on standby for 12 hours your batterylife was already half gone. Got a new battery, same thing. The new model which looks great still says 150-300 talk.

My SE T637 needs to be charged once a week with heavy talk time on it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 03:27 PM

Hahhahahhahahah.....

Sorry if you guys don't realize this but..

SWG's phone is a SONY

Hahahahhaha.. shoulda figured. Sony fanboy.
Aloha

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 03:31 PM

Who's SWG?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2005, 03:52 PM

I'm on Verizon (good coverage in my area), and recently got a Motorola V710 for free after rebate & the new-every-two thing. All's well so far: sync's with iCal & Address Book via a cheap OEM USB cable, no problem transferring photos & mp3's via a transflash card & adapter. I have no internal bluetooth, so I haven't messed with this as I'd have to get a d-link or something.

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 03:53 PM

Hahhahahhahahah.....

SWG's phone is a SONY

Since when I my sig a Sony one like your fanboy nintendo one?

And you know damn well you would use a gamecube as a phone if you could.

P.S you're a total idiot. Someone post that pic of the awkward teenager in the link outfit please.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2005, 04:03 PM

I have a Moto V710. Besides the fact that Verizon insists on stripping all useful features from the phone (no OBEX, and the latest firmware took away the ability to transfer ring tones via the transflash card), I like it pretty well. What limited bluetooth functionality (headset, modem) works well. Oh, and that magapixel camera sucks indoors. On second thought, the phone is only worth it if you want to use it as a phone and nothing else, and there are cheaper and better alternatives if that's the case.

I was going to switch to Cingular, but they messed my account up and charged me three times for the phone, all before my number was ported. I wasn't pleased to see a charge for almost $1,000 show up on my credit card for a phone that had yet to arrive after a week f phone calls.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2005, 04:15 PM

ThinkInsane: you might know this already, but there's a trick to getting ringtones from the transflash to the phone's memory to apply as ringtones (bypassing Verizon's "nickel-and-dime our customers" Get It Now and PixPlace fiascos). Poke around the V710.org forums.

I'm enjoying a full 30 seconds of the Atlanta Symphony & Chorus doing the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem as my first custom ringtone

spatterson
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Briareus
I'm enjoying a full 30 seconds of the Atlanta Symphony & Chorus doing the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem as my first custom ringtone
Could you share that with us... I love the ASO I also miss living in ATL

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2005, 04:27 PM

It's resampled to 64K and mono (so it's less than 300K), but if you want it I'll toss it onto my iDisk.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2005, 04:43 PM

ThinkInsane: you might know this already, but there's a trick to getting ringtones from the transflash to the phone's memory to apply as ringtones (bypassing Verizon's "nickel-and-dime our customers" Get It Now and PixPlace fiascos). Poke around the V710.org forums.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Lucky thing the phone geeks are right there screwing Verizon just as fast as they can screw us.

Now I just wish SuperDaveX gets OBEX implemented on the V710, and I might not feel so bad about being stuck with this phone.
Nemo me impune lacesset

spatterson
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 06:55 PM

It's resampled to 64K and mono (so it's less than 300K), but if you want it I'll toss it onto my iDisk.
Sure if it doesn't take too much away from your day...

Thanks

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2005, 07:41 PM

My ringtones:

Crazy Train
Vader
Love's Theme
EQ
Hamster Dance

Wallpapers:

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 07:53 PM

Aloha

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 07:59 PM

Hahhahahhahahah.....

SWG's phone is a SONY

Look who's talking

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2005, 08:07 PM

^^ Beat Me To It

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 09:38 PM

Look who's talking
Pfft.

You're gonna have to do better than that!
Aloha

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 09:44 PM

Pfft.

You're gonna have to do better than that!

Nope, that pretty much takes the cake.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 12:23 AM

My current ringtone and wallpaper.
( Last edited by Briareus; May 27, 2005 at 12:24 AM. Reason: link test)

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 01:13 AM

I use iTunes to edit songs and send them to my Nokia via bluetooth. My general profile uses a snippet of Tool's Schism and my work profile uses Tubular Bells.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Tubular Bells.

"Reed and pipe organ..."

Mike

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 03:57 AM

V551, which works wonderfully with Bluetooth with Macs and mediocre with Bluetooth with PCs.

Guess who has a PC at the moment?

x.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
I use iTunes to edit songs and send them to my Nokia via bluetooth. My general profile uses a snippet of Tool's Schism and my work profile uses Tubular Bells.

hey randman, how do you edit the songs in itunes? I used to have a pc program years ago that was able to snip 30-45secs of a song then transfer it to my v6oo via bluetooth, can i snip a part of one my itunes songs as well?

thanks

and if anyone knows of some freeware that can make me do this please post

thanks in advance.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by starman
The numbers looked like you could either accidentally rip them off, or they were going to fall off on their own.
While it may look that way (personally I don't see it), the numbers are firmly planted on.

Admittedly, I have not tried to pick at them like a scab.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by subego
While it may look that way (personally I don't see it), the numbers are firmly planted on.

Admittedly, I have not tried to pick at them like a scab.
The one I saw at the store was falling apart, and at the time they were new. My Nokia has been dropped, whacked, hit, dented, and still worked.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules