Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX Lion Internet Recovery w/ 2006 MacPro

OSX Lion Internet Recovery w/ 2006 MacPro
cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2012, 08:02 PM

I have a 2006 MacPro and am running OSX Snow Leopard but am interested in downgrading to OSX Lion. I'm curious if the my Mac can use Internet Recovery? Thanks.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2012, 08:28 PM

Its actually upgrading. It would be downgrading if you went from Lion to Snow Leopard. Now as for the recovery, Lion installs a secret special recovery partition for recovery purposes. The only purpose Internet Recovery is used for is when you replace the hard drive of the computer with a total blank/new/non lion hard drive or in the rare chance the recovery partition corrupts. Everything I have read about the Mac Pro firmware updates is they don't have it. That's not to say it wont be updated in the future but I would not count on it. Seems its only for current model Macs
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:37 PM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2012, 08:35 PM

This is the list of current Mac's that have been added to it

OS X Lion: Run Software Update to use Lion Internet Recovery

Additional the way the hard drive is formatted, such as encryption enabled or type of WIFI connection you have like Enterprise WPA2 will prevent Internet recovery from working. In the situation of the non valid format of the hard drive a mac bootable external hard drive can save the day. I was shocked to learn that Internet Recovery will not work on WEP wifi, it must be WPA or WPA2 personal with no proxy's in the way. (Just side knowledge for those interested, I think I answered your question with NO in the previous post)
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks...but from what I've read there's not a lot to rave about in Lion. My primary interest lies with Mail, FileVault, and Growl. What do you think makes Lion better than Snow Leopard?

P
Jan 26, 2012, 07:29 AM

FileVault is certainly better. Lion has incremental improvements in many areas, but I also haven't bothered upgrading yet. I will, when I have to for iCloud, but I have no problems letting things settle a bit further.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules