Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing "Chiclet" Enter/Return key on Unibody MBP

Replacing "Chiclet" Enter/Return key on Unibody MBP
Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2013, 01:12 PM

So, I got something underneath the enter key on my MBP, and every time I pressed the key it felt "crunchy". I finally got the time over the holiday to pry the key off and clean under there. Sure enough, there was a crumb in there that I cleared.

But now I can't seem to get the key situated back on the plastic scissor thingy correctly. Right now it's tilted, so that the top of the key is more or less flush with the grid, and the bottom of the key is hanging in the air. The key works just fine, it's just tilted.

(These Return keys have a metal bar under them to help guide them, and as far as I can tell the bar is in there correctly.)

Does anyone have a recommended technique to put these keys back on properly? I've uncovered plenty of general leptop key help on the Internet, and some youtube videos of other MBP chiclet keys, but I haven't been able to find exactly what I am looking for with the Return key.

As a side note, I noticed there is also a crack in the plastic cup underneath the key. The cup seems to be operating properly, though. I don't think the crack in the cup is the issue (and if it was, I wouldhave no clue how to replace that!)

thanks for your help!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2013, 03:41 PM

Its tricky to describe.

The metal bar should go through a couple of brackets on the keyboard IIRC, once you have it roughly in place you just lower the key into place and the press down until all the clips click into place.

I won't lie, sometimes you can break the clips but usually you can be quite forceful without issue. They break more often during removal.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2013, 04:43 PM

The clips for the metal bar aren't broken. I suppose it's possible that I bent them when I removed the key, but I doubt it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules