Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AR.Drone owners?

AR.Drone owners?
Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2011, 05:27 AM

I'm considering getting one of these for my son for his birthday and had some questions from any owners out there. There are a few older threads, but these seem out of date and were all initial impressions- any longer term owners out there?

1. As the cost in the UK is silly compared to the US, I'd buy it in the states and have my mother-in-law bring it over. I can't find details of the box size anywhere on line, other than that it is big. Does any one still have a box that they wouldn't mind measuring and sending the dimensions for? Weight is not an issue.

2. Any word on durability? Will he kill the thing with a few crashes? Will I bankrupt myself buying replacement parts?

3. Can anyone compare the difficulty of flying the thing to the difficulty of flying inexpensive toy RC helicopters? The ones with opposing blades- not the ones that require actual skill.

He still plays regularly with his cheap toy helicopter that only has a 5 min (at best) battery life and no groovy camera. I'm hoping it will hold his interest- what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2011, 07:25 AM

No idea about quadrocopters, but I saw this today about autonomous robot quadrocopters bouncing balls to each other. I, for one, welcome our flying robot overlords. Half Life 2 manhacks, anyone?

Quadrocopters juggle balls cooperatively, mesmerize with their lethal accuracy (video) -- Engadget

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Mar 29, 2011, 12:50 PM

3. Can anyone compare the difficulty of flying the thing to the difficulty of flying inexpensive toy RC helicopters? The ones with opposing blades- not the ones that require actual skill.
Just FYI, these are called coaxial (or coax) helicopters.

Haven't played with the drone at all as I have quite the E-Flite fleet already ( www.bladehelis.com ) so I have no comment on that.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Forum Links
Forum Rules