Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Worst MAC OS update ever?

Worst MAC OS update ever?
iamdj
Apr 9, 2000, 01:58 AM

I've seen a lot of updates form Apple since I first started using MACs in 1987...with all the problems 9.04 has caused on my Blue & White G3...I went back to 9.0...might go back to the ever stable 8.6 until Apple says, "No really, this update to 9.0 will work...really...we really mean it this time." (the next update to OS 9 that WILL WORK will be System 7.5)

What was 9.04 supposed to do anyway? Oh, That's right...make OS9 more stable.

HMMMmmmm....

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2000, 03:07 AM

and it did for most folks... made MacOS 9 more stable AND faster

running MacOS 9.04 on three generations of Macs here: 6200, rev2 G3 minitower, iBook.

my Macs love it, and so do the rest of my family's Macs.

IPreferMacs
Apr 9, 2000, 03:17 AM

A general suggestion: if having problems with a new OS, before you upgrade, do a clean install then install the updater. I had nothing but problems with OS9 and new iMacs, but after clean installs of OS9 and then updating to OS9.0.4, all but one problem went away.

augur_
Apr 9, 2000, 04:34 AM

I've been using the 9.0.4 update since Thursday, and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. My SCSI scanner works again, general processes seem faster, and seems more stable.

I think that most problems are related to how you install the update. I learned long ago that it's often a very bad idea to install a [system] update without first zapping the PRAM (hold "apple+shift+P+R") about four times before allowing the computer to start with extensions disabled. Then after the installation finishes, restart, them rebuild the desktop. By adopting this technique, EVERY system installation or upgrade has worked as intended, in my expeience. Before using that method, upgrades were an "install and hope for the best" type of occurance.

Just my suggestion...
oh, running OS 9.0.4 on a Performa 6400.

Forum Links
Forum Rules