Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone have any tattoos?

Anyone have any tattoos?
skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 07:34 AM

Post a picture! I know I posted mine before, but I don't think i asked to see others.
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 08:06 AM

oh dear lord.
we don't have time to stop for gas

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 08:12 AM

I once thought about getting an Apple tattoo on my upper arm. But then I stopped being drunk and came to my senses. No tattoos on this guy.

A coworker of mine god the most god awful tattoo this past spring. It takes up his whole upper arm. Its a Samurai ridding a carp with mt Fuji and a tori gate in the background. This thing is full color.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
oh dear lord.
Its not just because of the apple, the phrase "Think Different." means something to me.
16 GB iPod touch

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
A coworker of mine god the most god awful tattoo this past spring. It takes up his whole upper arm. Its a Samurai ridding a carp with mt Fuji and a tori gate in the background. This thing is full color.
Sounds pretty <effing> cool to me.
( Last edited by ghporter; Nov 26, 2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Evading the cuss filter is not cool.)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 08:54 AM

I don't but I am intrigued by them

I watch LA/Miami ink from time to time and some

I'll probably will never get one:
How will they age, I've seen too many co-workers in there 50s who have tattoos and its not a pleasant sight. Most are blurry or covered in arm hair.
What happends if I get tired of it? I read a CNN news story a month or two, that the laser tattoo removal business is doing a booming business. So it seems a lot of people who got them grew tired of their body art.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by skacoreimplore View Post
Its not just because of the apple, the phrase "Think Different." means something to me.
no one else will know that though.

I dont see the appeal of Tatoos. Ten years down the line they look awful :/

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
no one else will know that though.

I dont see the appeal of Tatoos. Ten years down the line they look awful :/
Sure most people will not know that, but it is for my personal satisfaction rather than that of others.

Also, by the time I am considered "old" I would hope technology has advanced far enough to where tattoo removal is no big deal.
16 GB iPod touch

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 09:16 AM

bloody big gamble.
Everyone would associate that tatoo with Apple, which is super nerdy

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 09:45 AM

Is having an Apple tattoo now a days really thinking different? Not to knock your tattoo. It looks awesome.

I've just seen a ton of computer centric tattoos lately that geeks are wearing. I guess to make them feel dangerous of cool because they have something that they consider taboo?

I never understood the need to be branded. I asked my significant other why she felt the need. She claimed not to really know. That the few she had were done when she was younger and a bit naive. Wanting to seem more mature or older than she was etc. (It's the reason most people start smoking too)

I guess I am glad I never went through that phase.

Having said that, if I ever got one it would MEAN something. And it would be something that I myself designed.

And it would have boobies. And say mom on it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Having said that, if I ever got one it would MEAN something. And it would be something that I myself designed.

Or EXIT ONLY on your rump

I agree, I find that people who went for fad type designs are the ones most likely trying to get them burned off. Like a lot of those tribal designs that were popular a few years ago.

If I ever got one, it would not be a corporate logo (no knock on the OP) but one that help communicates who I am and what I believe. Something that is to the core of my being so that in a few years I'd not get tired of it and want it taken off.

As for the OP's tattoo it does look cool and being the nerd that I am (heck look at my nick) I have been tempted to doing something that did include the apple logo but I am concerned of having it on my body forever.

I've seen a few people who did go the laser tattoo removal path, and you know what. the outline was always visible. It was better to keep it and look pretty good then to have a ghost of a tattoo somewhat visible - they looked crappy.

Rumor
Nov 26, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Or EXIT ONLY on your rump
How about a M on each ass cheek?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
How about a M on each ass cheek?
That would work for WoW fans better I'd think.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:20 PM

I've just seen a ton of computer centric tattoos lately that geeks are wearing. I guess to make them feel dangerous or cool because they have something that they consider taboo?
Without realising, of course, that this falls into the same category as "no matter how much one attempts to accessorise a poo, it is still a poo".

And it would have boobies.
Now you're talking.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:20 PM

To the OP: Aren't you just a teensie bit pissed off that you didn't get a capital D ?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:22 PM

Scores Man, got a tattoo.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sealobo
Nov 26, 2007, 12:38 PM

A tattoo... why would i wanna be labeled? i don't need some text or picture anywhere on my body to make a statement or to make myself feel better.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:48 PM

The only computer logo tattoo I've ever liked was an Atari symbol on a gorgeous blonde. I asked her about it and she said "I just used to play a lot of video games as a kid."

Come to think of it though, I think the tattoo part is irrelevant. The interesting part was the gorgeous blonde geek.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 01:03 PM

I have 4 - none Apple related. 2 are 20 years old, and I think they've held up pretty well.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Rumor
Nov 26, 2007, 01:42 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 26, 2007, 02:17 PM

I have 7 tattoos, personally I think the importance "anti-tatooists" put on their skin is overrated. Im not one to regret though if by some snowballs chance in hell I did get a hint of regret someday I'd dismiss it pretty quickly. Most of my tattoos are related to music which has inspired me and played a role in the person I have become. No stinking wildlife on me.

I did goto college with a guy who had most of the fast food "mascots" tattooed on him and was aiming to have them all; and this was a smart, very creative guy. Tattoo connotations are so useless these days, they are the norm.

You get a tattoo because either
A. You feel strongly about something
B. You think it makes you cool
C. Your drunk

if you do it for anything other than reason A your an idiot with or without the tattoo.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Yeah, blame the tattoo

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
To the OP: Aren't you just a teensie bit pissed off that you didn't get a capital D ?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing... Oops.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 02:27 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... Oops.
I was afraid to say anything since tattoos are well permanent.

As long as the OP is happy with it, that's all that counts. At least there's no mis-spellings - that would bite.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I was afraid to say anything since tattoos are well permanent.

As long as the OP is happy with it, that's all that counts. At least there's no mis-spellings - that would bite.
Thats actually how its supposed to be
16 GB iPod touch

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 07:00 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 07:31 PM

In the same tattoo?

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
My roommate is trying either that or something like that. I don't think it's doing ****.

Another coworker of mine is going the laser route. That seems to work, but he says it hurts like a mother****er.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 07:47 PM

I have several, and I love all of them. All of mine are based on religious or occult imagery, big surprise. With every single one of them, I designed the graphic myself and planned out the exact way I wanted the image presented, then I would interview artists until I found the person who I felt would provide the highest quality result. 90% of the work going into a great tattoo is before the needle ever touches your skin.

Though, I do often wonder about people who get tattoos of hokey tribal art or silly mass market slogans and images.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
My roommate is trying either that or something like that. I don't think it's doing ****.
I can't see how that works. As we all know a tattoo is ink under the skin. How can a topically applied balm fade it. Just not going to happen.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 11:40 PM

Most tattoos are not very sexy (I used to think so when I was younger), but as with everything they can work in moderate amounts.

I have a small infinity symbol on the back of my neck which is covered over by my hair, so very few people actually get to see it.

I doodled a small faux asian symbol on my ex's foot long time ago, and she loved the idea so much she actually got it tattooed. People always ask her what it means, and the standard reply (made up by me) is "genocide". Always love the look of people's faces when that happens.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Most tattoos are not very sexy (I used to think so when I was younger), but as with everything they can work in moderate amounts.
Depends on who does them. I've seen la ink and miami ink and those guys/gals are wicked talented. I've seen some really mind blowing tats that were huge but they are works of art. I'm sure going to one of those shops will cost you $$$$ but I guess you get what you pay for.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Sounds pretty <effing> cool to me.
Sadly, it really isn't.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
In the same tattoo?
Just using cliches. You know the old "MOM" tattoo cliche and then there are boobies. Boobies are just boobies. It's fun to type. *slips on slippers and puts on house robe*

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2007, 11:05 AM

I want a tattoo of a butt with a tattoo of a butt on it, and I want to have it on my butt. That would be cool. uh huh huh.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules