Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Starmax 3000/603e? Or something?

Starmax 3000/603e? Or something?
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 04:23 AM

So someone I know is trying to force a starmax 3000/603e(?) on me. Don't know squat about it (like ram, speed, etc), except that it s'posedly works, and comes with a monitor. I'm tempted to take it home and plug it in and jus' check it out. But I know that if I do, I'll be stuck with the damn thing.

It's quite... um... unattractive. That's diplomatic...

Any ideas why on earth I would want this... or why anyone would want this?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 11:35 PM

I've got a Max 3000/240, and it's primary purpose is to sit under my desk and look unattractive.

Actually, I put it to good use last Christmas when I was home from school and left my iMac in res. But not it's being fussy about having a dead battery, and I have to hold the CUDA button each time I want to start it up. Mine has a Zip drive which I've never seen before, and it was interesting to have a looksie inside to see the inner-workings of a Mac clone.

If it's a 3000 model, it'll have a 603ev processor in there. Here is some info on the Motorola clones. I believe the 3000 series were pretty much the same except for processor speed and case design.

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 06:45 PM

It should be able to run OS 9.2, right?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
It should be able to run OS 9.2, right?
I don't think you can. The only utility I know of that gets 9.2 installed on unsupported machines is OS 9 Helper.

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I don't think you can. The only utility I know of that gets 9.2 installed on unsupported machines is OS 9 Helper.
Dragosaurus Rex. Ah well.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Dragosaurus Rex. Ah well.
IIRC, 9.2 was mostly good for using as Classic in OS X. There are a few apps out there that require it, but for everyday use of the machine you should be fine with 9.1. Even 8.6 should work good, unless you've got software that need 9 (CarbonLib supports 8.6 as well as 9.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules