Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The case against Hillary

The case against Hillary (Page 12)
Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Dunning–Kruger View Post
Yes.
Having a pretend Ph.d. doesn't make you a doctor.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 02:35 PM

How does that jive with the many photos showing Hillary drawing hundreds while Trump is attracting thousands?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
How does that jive with the many photos showing Hillary drawing hundreds while Trump is attracting thousands?
Going to a rally != voting.

Trump supporters may well be more enthusiastic than Hillary supporters. Doesn't mean there are more of them.

andi*pandi
Sep 12, 2016, 02:50 PM

Wasn't there a black church that Trump went to, that turned out to be empty? All the regular attendees stayed home that day.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Wasn't there a black church that Trump went to, that turned out to be empty? All the regular attendees stayed home that day.
You mean this one? Reuters cut the feed just as the pastor was about to give Trump a blessing.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Aww, off your PMS meds again, sporto?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 04:38 PM

Cokie Roberts sounding worried, floats Hillary should step aside. Cokie is NOT a right winger.
Cokie Roberts Floats That Dems Are ‘Nervously Whispering’ About Clinton ‘Stepping Aside’ | Mediaite
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Cokie Roberts sounding worried, floats Hillary should step aside. Cokie is NOT a right winger.
Cokie Roberts Floats That Dems Are ‘Nervously Whispering’ About Clinton ‘Stepping Aside’ | Mediaite
Why would a reporter's perceived political leanings be relevant to a story she was reporting on? She wasn't expressing these ideas on her own.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Munchausen View Post
Aww, off your PMS meds again, sporto?
Well huh. There's a spin on a patronising stereotype I've never heard before. Andi, as our resident woman, are you more inclined to call out serial fantasists at certain points in your cycle?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2016, 05:32 PM

You mean this one? Reuters cut the feed just as the pastor was about to give Trump a blessing.
They thought he might explode on contact with holy water.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 05:33 PM

Why would a reporter's perceived political leanings be relevant to a story she was reporting on? She wasn't expressing these ideas on her own.
Well for one you can't accuse her of being an alt-right conspiracy theorist.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
They thought he might explode on contact with holy water.
Do you know by experience?
BTW, Protestants don't use Holy Water.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Yes, we all expected you to change your mind. You'd still vote for her over Trump if she didn't have a pulse. Other people? Not so much.
Actually I would vote for whoever the Dems replaced her with on the ticket. Be that Tim Kaine, Bernie Sanders, etc. But apparently, the actual sensible alternative didn't even occur to you.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
You people are really underestimating the percentage of people who are voting against Trump rather than for Clinton.

She was never the most amiable candidate who could illicit the enthusiasm of the masses. Trump however is such a cretin of a human being and a threat to the financial best interests of the country that she could in fact be on death's door and be a more optimal choice than the alternative.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 06:24 PM

During the video of Hillary emerging from Chelsea's she called over a little girl for a photo op. This what it reminded me of.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 06:30 PM

BTW, Protestants don't use Holy Water.
Umm... yeah they do. Baptismal water is certainly consecrated in most protestant denominations. Episcopalians/Anglicans (maybe others?) will sprinkle it as a blessing in other situations, on people, buildings, etc. There is a font of consecrated water near the entrance of many churches that some parishioners will dip their fingers prior to crossing themselves upon entering.

I'm afraid Catholics don't have a monopoly on the stuff.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 06:38 PM

Umm... yeah they do. Baptismal water is certainly consecrated in most protestant denominations. Episcopalians/Anglicans (maybe others?) will sprinkle it as a blessing in other situations, on people, buildings, etc. There is a font of consecrated water near the entrance of many churches that some parishioners will dip their fingers prior to crossing themselves upon entering.

I'm afraid Catholics don't have a monopoly on the stuff.
No validly ordained Priest, no Holy Water. They can call it holy water, but it ain't, just like when they have a "communion service". No validly ordained Priest, no transubstantiation.
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 12, 2016 at 07:23 PM. )
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Dunning–Kruger
Yes.
I see what you did there. Well played!

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2016, 06:49 PM

During the video of Hillary emerging from Chelsea's she called over a little girl for a photo op. This what it reminded me of.
Not me. Saddam clearly still had full use of his knees.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Yes.
So am I, and my diagnosis is that you have diarrhea.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 06:59 PM

No validly ordained Priest, no Holy Water. They can call holy water, but it ain't, just like when they have a "communion service". No validly ordained Priest, no transubstantiation.
I don't have a dog in this race as it's all superstition as far as I'm concerned, but you somehow mange to insult and belittle the religious beliefs of others as much or more as any 'militant atheist' out there.

You must be very proud.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2016, 07:09 PM

I don't have a dog in this race as it's all superstition as far as I'm concerned, but you somehow mange to insult and belittle the religious beliefs of others as much or more as any 'militant atheist' out there.

You must be very proud.
I'm confused. Isn't this a statement of basic Catholic dogma?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The question is whether that chunk is enough to swing a national election. It's not. What swings national elections for Republicans is Democratic candidates not even realizing how utterly condescending they are.

The Democrats don't have to agree with guns and God, just maybe take slightly less of a dump on those people's heads.

You know... pretend. Like they do in politics.
Sadly, both sides are incapable of that.

In a related story, Hillary's condescension got Pence to avoid calling a spade a spade.
Mike Pence Declines to Call David Duke Deplorable: I Don’t Like ‘Name-Calling’ | Mediaite
Fascinating election, as always.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 07:20 PM

You must be very proud.
It's long been established he's anti Catholic.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 07:21 PM

You are from Chicago. Let's say I'm from New York. If I were to say that not only is New York style pizza superior to Chicago Deep Dish pizza, pizza made anywhere other than New York in the traditional style is objectively not pizza. This is controversial and an affront to the pizza makers and pizza eaters of Chicago.

He is saying that only Catholic Holy Water is real Holy Water and the Protestants, Hindus, Sikhs, etc are deluding themselves with their silly false beliefs.

Of course it's basic Catholic dogma that they are right and everyone else is going to hell. One has a choice if they want to be a dick about it in a public forum.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 07:23 PM

It's long been established he's anti Catholic.
As it's long been established you have a persecution complex and don't mind engaging in a bit of moral relativism.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 07:27 PM

You are from Chicago. Let's say I'm from New York. If I were to say that not only is New York style pizza superior to Chicago Deep Dish pizza, pizza made anywhere other than New York in the traditional style is objectively not pizza. This is controversial and an affront to the pizza makers and pizza eaters of Chicago.

He is saying that only Catholic Holy Water is real Holy Water and the Protestants, Hindus, Sikhs, etc are deluding themselves with their silly false beliefs.
Which is essentially the exact same point I was making in the "Defining Christianity" thread. Wish I had thought of this pizza analogy because it's spot on.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 07:30 PM

As it's long been established you have a persecution complex and don't mind engaging in a bit of moral relativism.
No, I point out persecution when I learn of it. Living in the UK, you might want to learn to speak Arabic and practice the Shahada.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 07:50 PM

No, I point out persecution when I learn of it. Living in the UK, you might want to learn to speak Arabic and practice the Shahada.
Well that's a dramatic non-sequitur. And just plain silly.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 07:59 PM

Of course it's basic Catholic dogma that they are right and everyone else is going to hell. One has a choice if they want to be a dick about it in a public forum.
Pizza≠the Eucharist. Close because people are "religious" about their pizza, especially the Neapolitans.
You really show you are more ignorant of Catholic dogma/doctrine than I am. I'm learning, and have more to learn. When I have a question at least I have orthodox resources I can consult. You seem to get your info from purveyors of the Black Legend.

Be brave, read and learn.
What "No Salvation Outside the Church" Means | Catholic Answers

Are you a JW OAW? You sure sound like one.

As far as being a d ck in a public forum, looks who's talking.
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 12, 2016 at 08:09 PM. )
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2016, 08:07 PM

I've got to clear up the most important part first. Chicago pizza, and deep dish pizza in particular, is shit. We've basically trolled the entire country. I'd take New York pizza, or a local copy, almost any day of the week.

With that out of the way, I don't see the "silly" moniker implied in the statement under analysis.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 08:19 PM

I've got to clear up the most important part first. Chicago pizza, and deep dish pizza in particular, is shit. We've basically trolled the entire country. I'd take New York pizza, or a local copy, almost any day of the week.

With that out of the way, I don't see the "silly" moniker implied in the statement under analysis.
Lou Malnati's just open a place here. Gino's East is remodeling a building and will open soon. There was an Aurelio's Pizza, it looks like it's called Spinato's now. We have Pizzaria Uno downtown.

Enough about pizza, back to Hillary's possible imminent death/ouster
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2016, 08:29 PM

Malnati's is probably our best export. Uno's is garbage. Gino's was okay 20 years ago.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 09:38 PM

45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 09:39 PM

Malnati's is probably our best export. Uno's is garbage. Gino's was okay 20 years ago.
My wife is from New Lenox. She's still waiting for White Castle.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 09:45 PM

Well huh. There's a spin on a patronising stereotype I've never heard before. Andi, as our resident woman, are you more inclined to call out serial fantasists at certain points in your cycle?
You certainly are.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Actually I would vote for whoever the Dems replaced her with on the ticket. Be that Tim Kaine, Bernie Sanders, etc. But apparently, the actual sensible alternative didn't even occur to you.
"Whoever"? Yeah, I know.. I've always been for Bernie, they replace her with him and I'm on board with them. As it is, I'm still voting Gary Johnson.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 09:51 PM

No validly ordained Priest, no Holy Water. They can call it holy water, but it ain't, just like when they have a "communion service". No validly ordained Priest, no transubstantiation.
Exactly. No apostolic succession, no holy water or transubstantiation.

OreoCookie
Sep 12, 2016, 11:05 PM

According to Catholic catechism the validity of sacraments hingnes on not breaking the chain of apostolic succession. That means amongst non-Catholic denominations of Christianity, Catholics accept the validity of only very few of them: in some cases Protestant denomination developed out of Catholic congregations, and in that case, all the sacraments (including the one to ordain ministers) are valid. Probably the most important example is the Church of England. Of course, all of this only matters if you happen to believe in it — or if you feel the need to be accepted by the Catholic Church as a “true” Christian.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 11:33 PM

Are you a JW OAW? You sure sound like one.
That's hilarious!

At the end of the day the point is that such things are a matter of FAITH. But deeply held faith does not necessarily equate to incontrovertible truth. And those who ascribe to the former yet lose sight of the latter have been the source of some of the worst bloodshed and oppression mankind has ever known.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Of course, all of this only matters if you happen to believe in it — or if you feel the need to be accepted by the Catholic Church as a “true” Christian.
And vice versa.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 12, 2016 at 11:44 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2016, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
According to Catholic catechism the validity of sacraments hingnes on not breaking the chain of apostolic succession. That means amongst non-Catholic denominations of Christianity, Catholics accept the validity of only very few of them: in some cases Protestant denomination developed out of Catholic congregations, and in that case, all the sacraments (including the one to ordain ministers) are valid. Probably the most important example is the Church of England. Of course, all of this only matters if you happen to believe in it — or if you feel the need to be accepted by the Catholic Church as a “true” Christian.
No. 120 years ago tomorrow, Pope Leo XIII issued APOSTOLICAE CURAE
https://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/L13APCUR.HTM

36. Therefore Adhering Entirely To The Decrees Of The Pontiffs Our Predecessors On This Subject, And Fully Ratifying And Renewing Them By Our Authority, On Our Own Initiative And With Certain Knowledge, We Pronounce And Declare That Ordinations Performed According To The Anglican Rite Have Been And Are Completely Null And Void.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Dunning–Kruger View Post
Exactly. No apostolic succession, no holy water or transubstantiation.
It's amusing watching you pontificate on these issues. It's like a primary student of middling intelligence discus particle physics. He may know some of the words, but clearly lacks fundamental understanding.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2016, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Munchausen View Post
You certainly are.
It's quite telling that in your mind calling me a woman is an insult. Your need to demonstrate your latent misogyny outweighed your desire to object to being labelled a fantasist. Interesting.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2016, 05:41 AM

Not to mention Italy.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2016, 07:09 AM

My wife is from New Lenox. She's still waiting for White Castle.
Go Griffons!

Or maybe Knights... or Warriors. It's a three-sided coin toss.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2016, 08:47 AM

You are correct. Using the term 'silly' trivialised the actual, and scornful, nature of his statement. It is one thing to politely disagree. It is another to dismissively invalidate the beliefs of others.

The concept of 'Holy Water' has been around much longer than the Catholic Church, and it is used in the rituals of many faiths.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2016, 09:05 AM

You are correct. Using the term 'silly' trivialised the actual, and scornful, nature of his statement. It is one thing to politely disagree. It is another to dismissively invalidate the beliefs of others.
Don't most religious beliefs inherently, as in by definition, invalidate the others?

I feel the charge of dismissal could apply if the subject under discussion was opinion, but it's not opinion, it's dogma.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2016, 09:06 AM

The concept of 'Holy Water' has been around much longer than the Catholic Church, and it is used in the rituals of many faiths.
Yet, it is most associated with the Catholic Church. When someone is in need of Holy Water, I doubt they truck on down to the local Buddhist temple to get some.

Back on topic.

Clinton team avoided ER to conceal details of her medical treatment | New York Post

45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2016, 09:28 AM

Don't most religious beliefs inherently, as in by definition, invalidate the others?

I feel the charge of dismissal could apply if the subject under discussion was opinion, but it's not opinion, it's dogma.
So as I understand it, in your mind, as in Chongo's, Catholics have a monopoly on Holy Water, because they say so.

Ok.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2016, 09:36 AM

Yet, it is most associated with the Catholic Church. When someone is in need of Holy Water, I doubt they truck on down to the local Buddhist temple to get some.
I would agree that for a subset of the population, this is true. Raised as an Episcopalian, I certainly didn't associate it primarily with the Catholic Church. I'm sure the 1b+people of India likely don't think Catholic when they think Holy Water.

But I will accept YOU (and millions of others) primarily associate Holy Water with the Catholic Church. And had you said that, we wouldn't be having this discussion. What you said that the millions, if not billions, of believers of other faiths had no claim to the concept. And you did so rather dismissively.

Don't knock people for treating your beliefs the way you treat the beliefs of others. It makes you look bad.

Back on topic.
Yes, by all means, get back to your insightful and illuminating discourse on Hillary's health.

Forum Links
Forum Rules