Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will the G4 iBook become cheaper with the release of the new Intel iBooks?

Will the G4 iBook become cheaper with the release of the new Intel iBooks?
skalie
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 09:59 AM

I know someone who wants a 14" G4 model, has anyone watched prices of old stock during the release of a new model?

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 10:17 AM

As a new computer the iBooks will probably be replaced by the MacBook completely, and only be available from re-sellers or stores left over stock, or the online refurb store.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

fesdds
May 15, 2006, 10:38 AM

I would recommend refurb from apple. Apple store most likely will not continue selling current iBooks new.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2006, 01:18 PM

Apple has done this frequently with iBooks in the past, but more recently I haven't seen it as much. In the past the old model iBooks have popped up under the "Sale" tab on the "Special Deals" page. I think it all depends on how much old stock they have on hand when the new model is released. If the new MacBooks are priced higher, then I'm guessing Apple will just continue to sell off their G4 iBooks at the current price. Im hoping for a closeout sale though, because I'd like to replace my G3 iBook with a discounted G4.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 01:21 PM

Too late, my friend knew what she wanted and didn't want to bother with second guessing.

G4 on it's way. ( not straight from Apple btw )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by skalie
Too late, my friend knew what she wanted and didn't want to bother with second guessing. G4 on it's way. ( not straight from Apple btw )
You friend is so not smart. Gosh.

-t

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck

-t
What he said.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 09:04 PM

-t
If the new one is released tomorrow, they can get a discount on the G4 laptop. As long as they do it within 14 days of the release.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 11:29 AM

Is your friend going to return the iBook for a MacBook now??

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Is your friend going to return the iBook for a MacBook now??
No, she knew what she wanted, and is going to receive it.

She has no time for wheeling and dealing, and living in a somewhat remote part of the world doesn't want to get involved in sending back the machine that she earns her living on due to maybe hurried first release issues.

Should they occur.

( I was, btw, going......... "no no, wait a day or two", she was going..... "please listen to me" )

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 04:35 PM

Next week you'll probably see G4 iBooks in Costco for a knock-down price and including the extra AppleCare.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 02:06 PM

I agree with most of this, but in the end, the value proposition of the new books is a personal thing. If she makes her living on software like ms office, the real-world speed increases will not be dramatic, and the g4 might be an excellent choice. It's still a great laptop, and I wouldn't shed too many tears for her - I'm guessing she's going to love it!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 02:24 PM

Went to the local Apple store and didn't see a decrease in price. The 12" was $1000 and the 14" was it's regular price as well, I believe.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 03:31 PM

I wouldn't touch the old iBook at this point. It already is a pretty slow machine and Apple has already switched to a different chip. And the screen is lower res, not as bright, and nowhere near as nice looking as that on the 13 inch MacBook. Unless the iBook could be had for less than $800 (which probably won't happen), I wouldn't touch it with the much nicer and much higher speced MacBook out for as low as $1099.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 11:26 PM

Alright, where's my discounted G4 iBook ??? They're gone from the Apple site, so they have to be somewhere.

$999 minus $100 rebate at Amazon, you say? BAH! Not good enough! I want a bigger discount AND some free RAM!!! And Applecare!!!

gadster
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 03:11 AM

Hey cool topic!
e-gads

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 07:32 AM

-t
Well she has sold computers for a few years in the past, been a dean of a university, and is currently on the development team of a cutting edge cms using css and ajax.

Saving a few dinero's, or gettign the latest of the latest just wasn't on her agenda I guess.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by skalie
Well she has sold computers for a few years in the past, been a dean of a university, and is currently on the development team of a cutting edge cms using css and ajax.

Saving a few dinero's, or gettign the latest of the latest just wasn't on her agenda I guess.
I don't blame her for doing it. If she needed the computer and didn't have time to wait, she did the right thing. Like you said, the area she lives in is somewhat remote. It is hard to tell when she would receive a new MacBook. Just make sure to tell her to contact Apple and get a discount off the G4. She is eligable to do it because she bought the laptop within 10 or 14 days of a new model being released. Take the money saved and get more RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules