Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Quit the Finder

Quit the Finder
themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 10:27 AM

i've been looking for a way to do this without TinkerTool for a long time and thought i'd share with anyone else who is interested. Sorry if this isn't GUI-enough for anyone.

Adding Quit to the Finder Menu
The Finder may start up automatically each time you log in, but behind the scenes, it's nothing more than a standard OS X program. It may not appear to have a Quit command, but you can indeed quit the Finder when you need just a little bit more memory or computer horsepower for, say, some 3-D�graphical battle simulator.

There are a number of different ways to quit the Finder -- force-quitting, for example. But if you find yourself wanting to quit the Finder with any regularity, the simplest way is to add a Quit menu item at the bottom of the Finder menu. Here's how to go about it:

Open Terminal and type: defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool yes
Press Enter and restart the Finder. Now, lo and behold, you can press 1-Q (or choose Finder: Quit Finder) whenever you want to quit the Finder. When you need the Finder back, a simple click on its Dock icon revives it.
Taken from Macworld

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 02:19 AM

Um.. Why are you afraid of TinkerTool?

All it does is the same exact thing as the Terminal.

I mean seriously! I can understand being afraid of APE's, but TinkerTool? An app that is just a frontend to the Terminal? TinkerTool simply uses that same "defaults" thing. Seriously, I find this very funny. Like Haha funny. What, did you think it hacked system resources or something?

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
Um.. Why are you afraid of TinkerTool?

All it does is the same exact thing as the Terminal.

I mean seriously! I can understand being afraid of APE's, but TinkerTool? An app that is just a frontend to the Terminal? TinkerTool simply uses that same "defaults" thing. Seriously, I find this very funny. Like Haha funny. What, did you think it hacked system resources or something?

nooo...but it is another needless ap (if you're not using all it's features) running for no reason when i can just do the above and NOT have it running. so sorry to waste your time reading this and then responding. hey i got an idea, next time...don't be an ass.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 05:11 AM

But it's not running! It's not a background process! It's not running! If you are referring to when it was a Preference Pane, they haven't done that in years! It's a standalone app! Next time, do research!

I mean seriously. It's not a background process anymore and hasn't been for well over a year now. Not since I would say 10.2 times. Launch it, turn on the preferences you want, quit the app. It's like, well, it's like running Safari or Mail.

It accomplishes the same thing you're doing in Terminal, except with a GUI. You launch Terminal, right? Why enter a complex command when you just have to check a box, eh?

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
But it's not running! It's not a background process! It's not running! If you are referring to when it was a Preference Pane, they haven't done that in years! It's a standalone app! Next time, do research!

I mean seriously. It's not a background process anymore and hasn't been for well over a year now. Not since I would say 10.2 times. Launch it, turn on the preferences you want, quit the app. It's like, well, it's like running Safari or Mail.

It accomplishes the same thing you're doing in Terminal, except with a GUI. You launch Terminal, right? Why enter a complex command when you just have to check a box, eh?

jesus dude. what the hell is wrong with you? i is yelling at some faceless dumbass over the internet the only thing that makes you feel cool in your pathetic life? ooooo, you know more than me about this. i feel sooo stupid now..i may have to go kill myself because some loser yelled at me on a message board.

ğck off.

what the hell do i care what tinkertool does or what if what i did was the same thing? it's DONE, numbnuts. it's too late to worry about the method now.

Sir Arthur Dent
May 12, 2005, 11:34 AM

Quiet down, children.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 01:43 PM

Wow..

Just wow.

I mean, who was yelling? I was just telling you the truth.

It doesn't run in the background. It is not a background process. You are afraid of it for no reason. You like taking the long way. Fine with me. So long. Farewell. I'm taking my towel and going home.

Oh, and you called yourself a "faceless dumbass". Good call.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2005, 03:46 PM

It's getting deep in here and I forgot my boots!

Fusion
Senior User
May 12, 2005, 05:05 PM

TransparentDock had this option as well.

Sir Arthur Dent
May 12, 2005, 05:06 PM

So does Cocktail.

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Arthur Dent
So does Cocktail.
i like your name, mr. dent

Forum Links
Forum Rules