Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > seektoexplore redirect virus and Google Chrome

seektoexplore redirect virus and Google Chrome
jodyr3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2015, 04:59 PM

I somehow picked up a redirect virus while using Chrome. It appears to have begun as a very real looking Flash Update prompt. I downloaded the file, but when I went to click on the disk image to load the update, there was something fishy about the file name. So, I typed "adobe.com" in Chrome to get the update directly from Adobe, and suddenly found myself redirected to "seektoexplore.com," complete with a series of links to "Adobe" update pages. I solved the problem by deleting the file without opening it, and by deleting all the search engines in Chrome except Google. Resetting Chrome will also accomplish this. This is the first time I've been infected by a virus (that I know of) since the CDEF virus of ancient times. I'm using a late-2013 27" iMac under 10.10.2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules