Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > replacement keyboard for Lombard

replacement keyboard for Lombard
Kami
Dec 31, 2003, 03:15 AM

I've lost the use of a couple of keys on my Lombard. [not using the Lombard thus perfect spelling ]

Does anyone know of
1) a simple fix for non-functioning keys, or
2) whether I can swap in an iBook (500, 600 dual USB) keyboard for the Lombard's

Thanks in advance

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 08:08 AM

You should check eBay and other such places for a real Lombard keyboard. Barring that I do believe the first generation Snow iBooks (500MHz) have the same keyboard as the good old Lombard.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 12:10 PM

The Lombard had the same keyboard as the original iBooks. the one without the extra command Key.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 31, 2003, 12:57 PM

Depending on how many $'s you're willing to invest, you might want to check pbparts.com. They sell Lombard keyboards for $89.00. Dunno how reliable they are, though - never bought from them.

Cheers,

eff

(edit) Just saw that they sell single keys as well, depending on size, prices range from $3 to $12 - might just be the way to go ...

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2003, 03:11 PM

Powerbookmedic.com has them for $59.00, guaranteed and good condition. Two minute swap out.

I CANNOT imagine how a Pismo/Lombard keyboard could be the same size as the much smaller iBook, not to mention the resulting horrible looking white keyboard on black, and the impossible odds of the connectors being the same. Where do urban legends come from?
( Last edited by bmhome1; Dec 31, 2003 at 03:16 PM. )

Kami  (op)
Dec 31, 2003, 06:37 PM

I guess I should have been more careful with my wording in the original post - I need confirmation that the iBook keyboard can replace a Lomnard keyboard. I had heard that this was possible but wanted to know if in fact this could be done.

I'm not keen on the bronze keyboard at the best of times - it it is hard to see the lettering on the keys. Plus, the iBook keyboards seem to be a little cheaper. I'm not really worried about the aesthetics of the keyboards. I just want to get the Lombard back up and running at a minimal cost.

Thanks for the pointers to resellers, I will take a look.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2004, 02:59 AM

http://mail.victormarks.com/lombard/

Shows my lombard with the ibook300 keyboard installed.

Ask PBparts for an ibook keyboard that's used, tell them you're trying to do it on the cheap- see what they come up with.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 05:47 AM

Forgot about the clam-shells, was thinking of white iBooks. Actually, the white looks great on yours!

Kami  (op)
Jan 1, 2004, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the info, VMarks. Photos of your Lomard look great. I'll give give pbparts a shout later in the week and hope for the best

Forum Links
Forum Rules