Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > GPU hangs during 3D game play

GPU hangs during 3D game play
hotani
Senior User
Mar 12, 2006, 12:37 AM

I have a GeForce4 Ti GPU with 128MB. Just went from a 1280x1024 monitor to one with 1920x1080 and am experiencing severe hangs when I try to play a 3D game such as Halo, Quake, UT, or anything that utilizes the GPU.

Here is what happens: I open the game, I move around for about 10 seconds then the whole thing locks up for about 10 seconds after which I can move around for a little more, then it hangs again, and so on.

I thought maybe my fan was going bad, that the problem was a result of the GPU overheating, but after replacing it I am still experiencing the same problem. Note that these games I'm playing are fine until the hang, some with very good FPS.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

I'm running 10.4.5 with 1.2GB RAM on a dual 867 MDD G4.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

G5s ROCK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 02:41 PM

Try running the clocks down on the card by 20%. If that fixes it, the card is overheating.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Mar 12, 2006, 05:35 PM

How exactly does one 'run the clocks down' on a GPU?

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out the fan was not spinning on the new heatsink. First I thought I may have plugged it in wrong, but when plugging it into the main power chain it didn't spin then either. After messing with it for a while it finally started spinning again and seems to work fine. So yes, the GPU was overheating because not only was the old fan broken, but apparently the new one was as well. Annoying, but now fixed so all is well.
( Last edited by hotani; Mar 12, 2006 at 07:40 PM. )
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules