Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Earphones With Remote & Mic Not Working

Earphones With Remote & Mic Not Working
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 01:00 PM

Hi,

I have the earphones with remote and mic for use with my iPod touch. It has always worked, and all functions, as it's a supported iPod model (iPod touch 2G). Now all of a sudden, I get nothing. It will function as earphones, and that is all. None of the buttons work and the microphone picks up nothing. In fact, if I load the Voice Memos app, it won't even let me record a message because a microphone isn't detected. This makes me think it is a connection issue, as a microphone would be detected even if it was broken, correct?

Either way, any help would be appreciated. Wouldn't really be happy about forking over another $30 for a new set of these, so I'd like to keep these ones.

Thanks!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 02:17 PM

Can you them a try with another iPod touch or iPhone? Or conversely, give another pair of earphones a go with your iPod touch?

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 04:21 PM

I tried them on the newest iPod nano, 5G, I believe? They're a supported model and the earphones work fine on that. I can get a hold of a friend with an iPod touch later to try it out, but if it works on one device, why wouldn't it on mine?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 05:46 PM

That would indicate that the problem is with your iPod touch, not the headphones (unfortunately). You could try a restore if you want, but it's probably the headphone port. Could be as simple as a foreign object getting in there (you can spray some compressed air in if you'd like), but if that's not the case, then the port itself is probably bad.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the speedy help.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

Haha good news!

It was simply dust in the headphone jack. I blew it out with a can of air and all is well. Just thought I'd post so anyone with a similar problem can try my solution.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2010, 12:56 PM

Good for you!

I don't know why I didn't think of that, it happens to my phone fairly often from pocket lint.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2010, 12:12 PM

Actually, you did...

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Could be as simple as a foreign object getting in there (you can spray some compressed air in if you'd like), but if that's not the case, then the port itself is probably bad.
I just didn't listen and went on figuring it out myself... Don't know why I didn't try what you said in the first place.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2010, 12:38 PM

Oh! So I did. I guess both of us are scatterbrained

jenali3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2010, 02:45 PM

I honestly thought that can't be it....too easy a fix!!!! But guess what...it worked. Can't believe it! Thank you for posting your solution. Without the post I would probably have gone to some fix-it tech store and they would have charged me some ridiculous price just to blow out the jack. Thank you thank you thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules