Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Facebook disabled zooming on iPad

Facebook disabled zooming on iPad
macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2010, 07:06 PM

If you visit Facebook on iPad you'll notice you can't pinch and zoom anymore. It's because when Facebook detects the iPad user agent, they load this line of code in the meta tag:

Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />
People on Twitter and on Apple discussions have gotten wind of this. It's really annoying and making Facebook kind of unusable on the iPad

Apple - Support - Discussions - Can't zoom in when viewing any page ...

Tbonzai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2010, 08:03 PM

Here is the fix to overcome the Facebook zoom problem in the iPad. It involves running a JavaScript on the Facebook page to alter their setting. You will need to load this JavaScript into a bookmark then run it any time you reach a page where you want to zoom. Please note that this must be rerun every time you refresh or visit a new page on Facebook.

1) create a bookmark of any random page and name it something like "Facebook Zoom". The name isn't important.
2) once you have the bookmark, go to your bookmarks and choose "Edit" then select then new bookmark you created.
3) erase all the text from the address field that appears right below the bookmark name in the editor.
4) copy the following text exactly as it is, then paste it into the Address field.

javascript:var meta;if (document.getElementsByTagName) {meta = document.getElementsByTagName('meta')[0];if (meta) {meta.name = 'viewport';meta.content = 'device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=10.0, minimum-scale=1, user-scalable=1';}}

5) press the Bookmarks button at the top of the editor to return to the bookmarks list.
6) press the "Done" button.
7) the next time you need to zoom a Facebook page, go to your bookmarks and click your new link. You will not see a visible change in the page, but you will now be able to zoom.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2010, 04:38 AM

I HATE it when sites do that.

If I want the ****ing crippled mobile site, I'LL LOAD IT.

Stupid assholes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2010, 10:15 AM

I'm with Spheric. F*cking idiots.

At least they should offer a linkt o switch back to the regular website.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2010, 05:15 AM

Just tried it and they must have removed that "functionality". I can pinch and zoom just fine, both in Safari and Perfect Browser.

Twitter on the other hand are still forcing the mobile site on iPad users. Idiots.

Forum Links
Forum Rules