Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on.

Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on. (Page 3)
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2012, 06:59 AM

People seem to have all sorts of 'reasons' why they can't get a photo ID, but just HAVE to vote. The question is, just HOW important is it to the person to vote? If it IS SO IMPORTANT, then they need to get off their butts and get that ID. Those who don't shouldn't vote. You have to wonder why the DOJ is promoting undocumented voters? Could it be something to do with the number of ICE offices that have been closed all along the TX AZ borders. Looks like Holder and company have the skids greased for some serious voter fraud to keep Owe-bama in office.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2012, 07:09 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1683081.html
A Wisconsin judge blocked implementation of the state's voter identification law Tuesday, the second time a judge has blocked the controversial law.

Dane County Judge David Flanagan made a temporary injunction he issued in March permanent, citing concerns over the ability of state residents to obtain the necessary photo IDs in order to vote, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. In March, another Dane County judge had issued an injunction blocking the law's implementation. Voter ID supporters would now need to have both injunctions lifted.
A demographer who testified for the state, Peter Morrison, argued virtually all eligible voters had a photo ID, but University of Wisconsin-Madison political scientist Kenneth Mayer estimated more than 301,000 do not have a driver's license or state ID card. That's 9.3% of registered voters.
Flanagan also said the voter ID measure -- which backers say will help prevent voter fraud -- is "unlikely to protect the electoral process." He said the voter ID law appears to be the most restrictive one in the country.
I guess I shouldn't complain too much, Checks & Balances seem to be working.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
People seem to have all sorts of 'reasons' why they can't get a photo ID, but just HAVE to vote.
And that reason would be they're American citizens.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And that reason would be they're American citizens.
It's weird, it's like they have some kind of sense of entitlement about voting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 10:25 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...Vt6W_blog.html

A court filing by the state of Pennsylvania, ahead of a trial starting later this week on a lawsuit filed by civil rights groups against the state’s new voter fraud law, contains an astounding admission:

The state signed a stipulation agreement with lawyers for the plaintiffs which acknowledges there “have been no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states.”
There are no words.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2012, 02:45 PM

^^^^^^

As has been stated from the beginning. These voter ID laws are a solution in search of a problem. So when statistics clearly show that hundreds of thousands if not millions of the poor, the young, the elderly, and minorities ... especially that cross-section of those demographics that don't have their own vehicle ... will be disenfranchised by these laws ... and the GOP insists anyway? It becomes quite evident that the true objective is voter suppression among demographics that are more like to vote from Dems.

The good new is that the DOJ is not rolling over for this BS ....

Justice Dept. opens probe of Pa.’s voter-ID law

OAW

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 AM

If it means justice, chances are the the Justice Department WON'T let it stand. They are the guys who excused blatant and proven voter intimidation just because the accused where black.

They probably have a fondness for the dead as well:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/virginia-politics/2012/jul/25/tdmain01-romney-camp-asks-va-to-probe-voter-forms-ar-2081517/

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 11:22 AM

Oddly, when a state legislature violates peoples' rights under the pretense of fixing a problem which doesn't exist, the Justice Department isn't first on my list of institutions to slam.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That would be my first assumption as well. Except that isn't mentioned in the article. They say things are unfair because different counties have different poll times/access. I'm fine with this, but when I present arguments like this about states you hear "but, but, states rights!"
What bothers me is you have two choices here: To expand voter access, or to limit it. And they chose the latter. I hear that Democrats supposedly took more advantage of this early voting, but I wonder how they determine that.
Sorry, I missed this.

In terms of which party is using which service, it's easy if you have closed primaries. Not so much with open ones.

I also seem to recall back when I was researching this a critic mentioned they could have used cost-cutting as a rationale, but curiously didn't, so it's no surprise it's not mentioned in the article.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 11:52 AM

I still don't understand (Typical). How are they tying who voted to the method?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 PM

With a closed primary, it's public information which party's primary you voted in. You just match the names of your list of who voted in what primary with the list of people who use early voting (which I assume is also public information).

One of the things party reps try to do to election judges is scam them into filling out their lists for them.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2012, 12:51 PM

Jim Greer, the former chair of the Florida Republican Party, has accused the GOP of engaging in voter suppression, in statements given under sworn testimony in a deposition surrounding a lawsuit he filed over an unpaid severance. Greer claims he became uncomfortable with leading the party when an official began to openly discuss voter suppression tactics that would keep blacks from participating in the electoral process.

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting that incident occurred, according to Greer, after he had just completed a December 2009 meeting with party general counsel Jason Gonzalez, political consultant Jim Rimes and Eric Eikenberg, ex-Florida governor Charlie Crist’s chief of staff.

“I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting. It had been one of those days,” he told the Tampa Bay Times. In the deposition Greer denounced some party officials as liars and “whack-a-do, right-wing crazies”
Jim Greer, ex- Florida GOP chair, says party officials discussed black voter suppression - theGrio.com

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2012, 12:53 PM

Is this the guy who is airing dirty laundry to try and make a deal? Gotta take his claims with a grain of salt.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2012, 12:57 PM

He clearly has an axe to grind. So indeed it should be taken with a grain of salt. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's lying either.

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 06:05 PM

Interesting that people remain intentionally obtuse regarding voting IDs. Sure it's legal, but it's a throwback to Jim Crow laws. The've been put in place under the guise of curbing illegal aliens, but it really only has to do with curbing potential voters for the opposite side. Also, if there was some stupid law that prevented rich people from voting and the Democrats weren't somehow completely incompetent and ineffectual, they'd pass one too.

The requirement of an ID is difficult for working people who are poor or dependent on a partially fixed income, usually single parents or individuals with poor education, disabled persons, etc. If the DMV only issues sate IDs on 2 days during the work week, what are the chances of an individual living paycheck-to-paycheck to take an entire workday off to maybe get an ID, assuming they don't have any pressing matters such as picking up their kids from daycare that would otherwise charge an exorbitant hourly rate if picked up late, or getting to the pharmacy to refill prescriptions?

If it's about preventing voter fraud, electronic voting machines make any sort of ID superfluous since the results of the vote can be changed after the fact without any verification of the authenticity of the vote cast in the first place.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2012, 09:50 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...0a0_story.html

A Pennsylvania judge ruled Wednesday that a new Republican-supported state voter ID law could be implemented for Election Day, despite objections that it was a partisan attempt to hurt President Obama and could cost thousands of voters the right to cast ballots.

Simpson was skeptical of the challengers’ estimates. He said he believed that more than 1 percent of the commonwealth’s more than 8 million voters lacked the required ID, but less than the 9 percent figure that opponents of the law submitted.

impson said he considered complaints that the law was motivated by partisan interests, noting what he called the “disturbing, tendentious statements” by state House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R).

Simpson said there was no proof that other lawmakers shared Turzai’s “boastful” view. Even if there were partisan motivations, Simpson said, the Supreme Court’s decision in the Indiana case said that a nondiscriminatory law with should not be invalidated simply because some individual legislators had partisan motivations.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2012, 10:52 AM

@Dakar,

And that article you just posted is a prime example of how what is LEGAL and what is RIGHT can be two very different things.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2012, 11:46 AM

And now the GOP is now being brazenly discriminatory in their attempts to suppress the vote and win the 2012 election.

If you live in Butler or Warren counties in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cincinnati, you can vote for president beginning in October by going to a polling place in the evening or on weekends. Republican officials in those counties want to make it convenient for their residents to vote early and avoid long lines on Election Day.

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you’re out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer. The convenience, in other words, will not be extended to the city’s working people.

The sleazy politics behind the disparity is obvious. Hamilton County, which contains Cincinnati, is largely Democratic and voted solidly for Barack Obama in 2008. So did the other urban areas of Cleveland, Columbus and Akron, where Republicans, with the assistance of the Ohio secretary of state, Jon Husted, have already eliminated the extended hours for early voting.

County election boards in Ohio, a closely contested swing state, are evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans. In counties likely to vote for President Obama, Republicans have voted against the extended hours, and Mr. Husted has broken the tie in their favor. (He said the counties couldn’t afford the long hours.) In counties likely to vote for Mitt Romney, Republicans have not objected to the extended hours.

This is just the latest alarming example of how Republicans across the country are trying to manipulate the electoral system by blocking the voting rights of their opponents. These actions have a disproportionate effect on blacks, Hispanics and other ethnic minorities who struggled for so long to participate in American democracy.

Cincinnati, for example, is 45 percent black, and Cleveland 53 percent. Butler County, however, is 8 percent black, and Warren 3.5 percent. This kind of racial disparity is clearly visible wherever Republicans have trampled on voting rights during Mr. Obama’s term.

In Florida, more than half of black voters went to the polls early in 2008 largely to support Mr. Obama. So, last year, Republican lawmakers there severely curtailed the early voting period. In Pennsylvania and other states that have imposed strict voter ID requirements, the impact will be felt hardest by blacks, Hispanics, older citizens and students, all of whom tend to lack government ID cards at a higher rate than the general population. At the trial in Pennsylvania over the constitutionality of the state’s voter ID law, the plaintiffs introduced clear evidence, compiled by a geographic data analysis firm, that registered voters in Philadelphia who lack government ID cards are concentrated in minority and low-income areas.

In Ohio, as in other states, the Republican Party is establishing a reputation for putting short-term political gain ahead of the most fundamental democratic rights.
Overt Discrimination in Ohio - NYTimes.com

Let's see if even ONE of our good friends on the right will acknowledge the obvious and condemn these shenanigans as an affront to the democratic process itself.

OAW

andi*pandi
Aug 15, 2012, 11:48 AM

I was just trying to post that. Voting times should be standard, wherever you are.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2012, 11:56 AM

^^^^^^

One would think.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
@Dakar,
And that article you just posted is a prime example of how what is LEGAL and what is RIGHT can be two very different things.
OAW
I'm going to chalk this up to a lone judge. His reasoning isn't exactly solid. If the appeals court upholds, I may shit myself.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
And now the GOP is now being brazenly discriminatory in their attempts to suppress the vote and win the 2012 election.
Overt Discrimination in Ohio - NYTimes.com
Let's see if even ONE of our good friends on the right will acknowledge the obvious and condemn these shenanigans as an affront to the democratic process itself.
OAW
I posted this a few weeks back: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...NtW_story.html
Before the changes to the law, local election boards had the discretion to set their own hours for such voting on the days before the election. And in-person voting on the weekend varied among the state’s 88 counties.

The state’s elections chief, Secretary of State Jon Husted, has argued that all counties should have the same early-voting hours and be open on the same days. Husted and his fellow Republicans contend it is unfair that a voter in one county can cast an early ballot on a day when a voter in a neighboring county cannot.
This directly contradicts what you say is happening. Which is not an accusation of lying, but more of...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2012, 09:12 AM

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...l?nlid=4829276

On the same day a judge cleared the way for the state's new voter identification law to take effect, the Corbett administration abandoned plans to allow voters to apply online for absentee ballots for the November election and to register online to vote.
State election law allows absentee voting by any individuals who cannot physically get to polls, are sick or disabled or out of town, but they have to submit proof.

In his decision, Commonwealth Court Judge Robert E. Simpson Jr. noted that the law already allows for absentee ballots for those facing difficulty in getting to the polls. In referring to two of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, he noted that "absentee balloting is probably available to them."
Online voter registration has cut printing and labor costs and streamlined elections operations in 10 states that have implemented it since 1998, said David Becker, director of election initiatives for the Pew Center on the States.

"It's one of those rare win-win trends," Becker said. "It's nonideological, incredibly efficient, and enhances voter integrity because names can be checked instantly against motor-vehicle records."

State Sen. Lloyd Smucker (R., Lancaster) tried to advance a bill last spring that would have directed the Department of State to set up an online voter-registration system statewide before Election Day, but it failed to move out of committee.

Clarke said she was surprised to learn that the state was putting off the online initiative given that Simpson in his ruling relied on those kinds of provisions - absentee balloting specifically - to ensure everyone eligible to vote could do so in November.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2012, 11:10 AM

Does anyone out there still believe the GOP is not trying to stack the deck with these shenanigans?

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2012, 11:15 AM

Given the ghost town that this thread has been for the right-leaning side of the forum (particularly the more reasonable side), I don't think there was ever any question.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

I think Conservatives hate Jackie Chan, he seems very foreign.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2012, 05:49 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1807434.html

An Ohio GOP election official who voted against the weekend voting rules that enabled thousands to cast ballots in the 2008 election said Sunday that he did not think that the state's early voting procedures should accommodate African-Americans.

"I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban -- read African-American -- voter-turnout machine," Doug Priesse said in an email to the Columbus Dispatch Sunday. "Let's be fair and reasonable."
Yep, not accommodating people easier access to exercise their voting rights? Fair and reasonable.

Jesus Christ, I haven't seen this country so nuts since 2004, though I don't recall any slimy shit the Democrats did back then. I may need to be sedated until after November.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 05:37 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...3a7_story.html

A federal court on Tuesday threw out Texas’s redistricting plans, saying the maps drawn by the Republican-led legislature undermined the political clout of minorities who are responsible for the state’s population growth.

The three-judge special panel in Washington said Texas could not prove that plans for the state’s congressional districts and both houses of the legislature were not drawn without intentional discrimination against the state’s burgeoning Latino population. In addition, it said new district lines removed the “economic guts” from congressional districts now held by African-Americans.

“The only explanation Texas offers for this pattern is ‘coincidence,’ ” wrote U.S. Circuit Judge Thomas B. Griffith. “But if this was coincidence, it was a striking one indeed.”

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 06:50 AM

Here's a map of one of the wonkier districts:

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 06:57 AM

You know, I'm left wondering if a McCain justice department would have challenged this. I'd like to think yes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 07:10 AM

I'd like to think so. At least, I don't see it as something he would ignore in general for the good of his party.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 07:17 AM

So, here's a question no one can answer with certainty – do you think these suppression efforts in Ohio, PA, etc. are in response to Obama or in spite of him?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 07:23 AM

I read an article a few days ago that Romney needs 61% percent of the white vote to win, which is a lot.

The conclusion of the article was the party's over after this. In four years the demographics will be such the Republicans need to get more minority votes to survive on a national level.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 07:29 AM

I read an article a few days ago that Romney needs 61% percent of the white vote to win, which is a lot. No ide
The conclusion of the article was the party's over after this. In four years the demographics will be such the Republicans need to get more minority votes to survive on a national level.
I refuse to write off the republicans. You'd think after the 2006 and 2008 and they were done, but then in 2010 boom, they're back. Why? Well, people will cite lots of reasons, but I think they fail to realize that as long as only two parties are viable, nothing can change. If swing voters and independents don't feel the current party is doing well enough then the other party wins by default. Hence each party just needs to stick around long enough for the other to become unpopular. In the internet age, that's usually not very long.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 07:33 AM

Oh... It's not writing them off, it's saying they'll need to pivot somewhat. They won't succeed if they repeat the same strategy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 07:40 AM

Oh... It's not writing them off, it's saying they'll need to pivot somewhat. They won't succeed if they repeat the same strategy.
It's the tea parties future I'm interested in. Their baser, uh, behaviors, are holding the party back, IMO.

Edit: Of course one wonders where the libertarians/paulites and christians/social conservatives fit in.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 09:39 AM

While we're here...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/2...-positive.html
Garrard Beeney, who represented the civil rights groups, presented emails sent to and from Clemmons' personal account between 2009 and 2011, when he was working on the law. One, from a man named Ed Koziol, used racially charged rhetoric to denounce the idea that poor, black voters might lack transportation or other resources necessary to obtain photo ID. If the Legislature offered a reward for identification cards, "it would be like a swarm of bees going after a watermelon," Koziol wrote.

Beeney asked Clemmons how he had replied to this email. Clemmons hesitated a moment before answering, "It was a poorly considered response when I said, 'Amen, Ed, thank you for your support.'"

Beeney also contended that Clemmons, a Republican, wrote the law to suppress Democratic votes. Blacks in South Carolina typically vote Democratic. Beeney asked Clemmons whether he remembered distributing packets of peanuts with cards that read "Stop Obama's nutty agenda and support voter ID."

Clemmons said he did not, though Beeney said he had testified in June that he did.
But under questioning from Beeney, McConnell said he believed the law would have been more in compliance with the Voting Rights Act if it had included provisions to make voting easier, such as an early voting period. The Senate passed a voter ID bill that included such provisions, but Clemmons and other members of the House opposed it and would not compromise, McConnell said.

McConnell also testified that he agreed to remove the early voting provision from the bill because Clemmons told him the House would pass a separate early voting bill. But the House never sent the Senate an early voting bill, and when the Senate sent one to the House, it died in committee.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 10:12 AM

Busy day, I guess:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1840146.html

In his latest order, Hinkle stated that he intends to permanently block the law, pending the case's dismissal from a Court of Appeals. The plaintiffs and the state of Florida have reportedly agreed not to appeal Hinkle's ruling.

According to the Times-Union's review of state records, in the lead-up to elections in 2004 and 2008, the 13-month period between July 1 and August 1 of election year showed an average increase in registered Democrats of 209,425 voters. Over the same time between 2011 to 2012, registered Democrats increased by only 11,365 voters. It's easily enough to swing the election.

From the ruling:

The short deadline, coupled with substantial penalties for noncompliance, make voter-registration drives a risky business. If the goal is to discourage voter-registration drives and thus also to make it harder for new voters to register, the 48-hour deadline may succeed. But if the goal is to further the state’s legitimate interests without unduly burdening the rights of voters and voter registration organizations, 48 hours is a bad choice.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 10:15 AM

The silence from our good friends on the right is deafening indeed.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 10:18 AM

I'm not willing to indict everyone on their lack of participation, but a condemnation here or there would be heartening.

By my quick count, states mentioned in this thread: PA, Ohio, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Texas, Florida. Not exactly an isolated incident.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2012, 10:24 AM

Ya gotta go GET A DRIVERS LICENSE so you can drive. So Why can't you get a photo ID to vote? You've had HOW LONG to take care of it? Where is a voters PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS??? Is four years too short a time?

The left has a bunch of BS excuses. GROW UP!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 10:25 AM

It's a well-coordinated nationwide effort by GOP controlled Governors and state legislatures using the same model legislation from ALEC as a starting point. It is a shamelessly transparent attack on the democratic foundations of our nation for the basest of partisan advantages. I mean it's one thing to stack the deck when congressional redistricting comes around every decade. It's quote another thing to try to outright suppress the vote within a minority group that had many members literally give their lives for the unencumbered right to vote.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2012, 10:29 AM

Ya gotta go GET A DRIVERS LICENSE so you can drive. So Why can't you get a photo ID to vote? You've had HOW LONG to take care of it? Where is a voters PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS??? Is four years too short a time?
There's a distinction between privelige and right you seem to be unclear on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 10:30 AM

Hey great, Screamy McNevereplies has important thoughts he needs to share, Y3a style. Let's examine them, shall we?

Ya gotta go GET A DRIVERS LICENSE so you can drive. So Why can't you get a photo ID to vote?
Not everyone drives (or has a car), particularly in metropolitan areas.

You've had HOW LONG to take care of it? Where is a voters PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS??? Is four years too short a time?
All this legislation was passed this year, so they had less than a year, and that's if they're paying attention.

Excuses like, it's illegal, which most of the courts have agreed with. (I'm lookin' at you, PA)

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 10:33 AM

So being too poor to own a car ... and thus having no freaking need to have a driver's license .... means you shouldn't be able to vote in your estimation huh? Or living in a major metro area like NYC or Chicago where many people rely on public transportation because PARKING a car can cost thousands a month means you shouldn't be able to vote? Where exactly is it in the Constitution that one has to be a driver in order to cast a vote? Hmmmmm?

It's ironic that here we are on the anniversary of the Hurricane Katrina tragedy. Hurricane Isaac is flooding portions of LA with 12-15 feet of water. Yet I can recall these same types of dismissive attitudes when the bodies of hundreds of poor and elderly black people were floating down the streets of New Orleans. Hundreds more found dead trapped in their homes. Many of our more willfully ignorant conservative friends were making similar comments about "personal responsibility" , "they should have evacuated ... they knew the storm was coming.", etc. Yet it never seemed to occur to them that many people didn't evacuate because they didn't have any transportation! Imagine that.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 10:50 AM

AZ has a voter ID law, and it's been upheld by the courts. (by the 9th circuit court of all places) I had to show my ID when I voted in the primary yesterday.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
AZ has a voter ID law, and it's been upheld by the courts. (by the 9th circuit court of all places) I had to show my ID when I voted in the primary yesterday.
What does this mean?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 11:04 AM

All voters must now present identification in Arizona

In order to vote in a city, county or state election in Arizona, the voter must present:

(a) one form of appropriate identification bearing the name, address and photograph of the voter

OR

(b) two different forms of identification that bear the name and address of the person appearing to vote

What qualifies as an acceptable form of photo ID?

The following government issued IDs are acceptable, if they also include the name and address of the person presenting themselves at a polling place:
Valid Arizona driver license or non-operating identification
Tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification
Valid United States federal, state, or local government issued identification
What other kinds of documents are acceptable as ID for voting purposes?

In lieu of one of the photo IDs listed above, a person who wishes to vote may bring any two different items from the list below to the polling place, as long as those items have the person's name and address on them.

• Utility bill dated within 90 days of the date of the election. A utility bill may be for electric, gas, water, solid waste, sewer, telephone, cellular phone, or cable television
  • Bank or credit union statement that is dated within 90 days of the date of the election
  • Valid Arizona Vehicle Registration
  • Indian census card
  • Property tax statement of the person's residence
  • Tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification
  • Vehicle insurance card
  • Valid United States federal, state, or local government issued identification
  • Voter Registration Card / Recorder's Certification
  • Any "Official Election Material" mailing bearing your name and address
Identification Requirements for Voting in Arizona Elections

This is pretty standard legislation that has been in place in many states across the country. The only "controversial" part about this particular legislation was the requirement to present proof of citizenship ... as opposed to the federal requirement of simply affirming citizenship under the penalty of perjury. That particular provision was struck down by a lower court, upheld by an appeals court, and is now being decided by SCOTUS. That being said, this is really NOT what this thread is about. As you can see here there is no hard requirement to show PHOTO ID (e.g. a driver's license). Two different forms of non-photo ID will suffice. It works like that in my state.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2012, 11:21 AM

Utility bill dated within 90 days of the date of the election. A utility bill may be for electric, gas, water, solid waste, sewer, telephone, cellular phone, or cable television

Bank or credit union statement that is dated within 90 days of the date of the election
This is far, far more generous than any other ID requirements I've seen this year. That alone I could see being one the reasons it was upheld.

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 11:22 AM

Do you encourage or support or just look the other way when it comes to voter fraud?

If you answer the above question in the negative, tell me what you would do to address the problem of voter fraud?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 AM

^^^^^^^^

You haven't participated in this thread heretofore and the fact that you even asked that question shows you didn't bother to read what's been posted thus far. So in the interest of not wasting time and re-treading the same ground ...

A court filing by the state of Pennsylvania, ahead of a trial starting later this week on a lawsuit filed by civil rights groups against the state’s new voter fraud law, contains an astounding admission:

The state signed a stipulation agreement with lawyers for the plaintiffs which acknowledges there “have been no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states.”
In other words, the state knows that voter fraud is a nonexistent problem, but will nonetheless defend a law that could potentially disenfranchise a huge number of the state’s voters. Of course, it’s not hard to see why the state — and particularly its Republican governor — would continue to support the measure.

The Pennsylvania voter identification law — passed several months ago by state Republicans — is one of the strictest in the country. Under the law, voters are required to show an unexpired government-issued ID. If an ID is not issued by either the state of Pennsylvania or the federal government, then it will not be accepted (for instance, student IDs from schools outside of the state). If you do not have an ID, you can receive a free one as long as you have a Social Security card, official birth certificate, and two proofs of residency.
Pennsylvania admits it: no voter fraud problem - WashingtonPost.com

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules