Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > are you renting? if so, how much/month is your rent?

are you renting? if so, how much/month is your rent? (Page 2)
mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 04:27 AM

$1500 for a 1-bedroom garden apartment (ground floor of a brownstone) with my own entrance and backyeard in NYC.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 07:05 AM

I'm renting a house off campus with 5 other girls. Yea, it takes some time getting used to living with all girls, but hey, it's fine by me. But yea, we each pay $200 a month for rent plus about another $50 for other bills. So around $250 per person a month in a nice large size house with 6 bed rooms.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Jansar
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
you loved the smog, the traffic, the high cost of living, $2 a gallon of gas, traffic, the mayor (Bill Clinton wannabe), the lack of entertainment (besides downtown), the horrible Public Transportation, crazy drivers, traffic, and the tech museum?

There are some places worth going to though. Santana Row has a lot of really upscale clothing stores and restaurants (and Valley Fair Mall's right across the street) and not far away, there's the new SJSU library and such. However, I go to Santa Clara so I really don't spend much time in San Jose.

Oh yeah, now gas is up to $2.30+ per gallon
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 07:17 PM

hat

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2004, 09:26 PM

you loved the smog, the traffic, the high cost of living, $2 a gallon of gas, traffic, the mayor (Bill Clinton wannabe), the lack of entertainment (besides downtown), the horrible Public Transportation, crazy drivers, traffic, and the tech museum?

The smog's not the bad... but the cost of living is really high. Gas is expensive everywhere, and the traffic is as bad as it is everywhere else. Entertainment isn't a problem, not sure where you were. Public Transportation is great, buses go everwhere and at all hours. The lightrail is nice and speedy... and clean. Drivers are crazy, but they're crazy everwhere. I've only been to the Tech Museum a few times, and most of the time it's just to watch that funny ball contraption they have in the front (which they took out!!!! WTF?!)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OH-N'omac
Mar 9, 2004, 11:27 PM

Bottom half of a duplex, 20 minute commute to Manhattan, Three Bedrooms, One Bath, $925.00 per month.

Oh yeah, and my landlord pays for my cable.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 12:06 AM

$740 (so technically only $370 per) for a two-bedroom apartment in the Fan District of Richmond, walking distance to Carytown and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and about a 10 minute bus ride from VCU's Academic campus. Newly renovated (sort of) turn-of-the-twentieth-century building (1902, I think) w/ some pretty neat old cabinets, pocket doors, a gas fireplace, etc. I love having a front porch again.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 03:40 PM

My $340 car lease is more than my mortgage on a 1700 square foot corner lot home (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, sun room, huge kitchen, and family room) excluding the garage (since it's not taxed) in Sacto, CA. Old, early 1950's built, ranch style home.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
$600/mo for a 1br/1bath in St. Paul, near the U. Gas/heat included. Ankle_brains is getting ripped off.
thats pretty good...if i remember correctly when i lived in Brooklyn Park i paid like $685...that was a few years ago though and i only lived there because it was close to school.

right now i pay $540 for a 1 bed/1 bath basic apartment

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
There are some places worth going to though. Santana Row has a lot of really upscale clothing stores and restaurants (and Valley Fair Mall's right across the street) and not far away, there's the new SJSU library and such. However, I go to Santa Clara so I really don't spend much time in San Jose.

Sorry 'bout digging up this thread but .... the new MLK library is pretty nice, as it's six? stories. it's $2.03 now for gas ... stupid stupid stupid. And isn't San Jose part of Santa Clara County? SJ is just really boring to me most of the time, SF is a lot better, and maybe even Santa Cruz, I just feel for being one of the richest counties in the world that life in the bay area should be a lot better.

I might attend SC, being as 95% Bellarmine grads are accepted there.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 05:48 PM

$650/month for a 3-bedroom apartment in the middle of nowhere.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 06:36 PM

what "bellarmine" are you talking about? since you're already in the bay area, you're not talking about the high school in tacoma, wa, no?

http://www.bellarmineprep.org/

(that bellarmine, my former high school, also sends a few kids each year to scu. not 20 a year, however, so i suppose 95% would be a numeric impossibility)

cal4ever
Mar 12, 2004, 06:54 PM

$2150 for a 2 bedroom apartment in Berkeley. Great location, but so darn expensive.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 11:31 PM

the new MLK library is pretty nice, as it's six? stories
I think it's eight.

Best of luck. I love Santa Clara! I chose it above many other schools, especially because of it's extremely strong undergrad business program.

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
what "bellarmine" are you talking about? since you're already in the bay area, you're not talking about the high school in tacoma, wa, no?

http://www.bellarmineprep.org/

(that bellarmine, my former high school, also sends a few kids each year to scu. not 20 a year, however, so i suppose 95% would be a numeric impossibility)
No, this is a Bellarmine in the Bay Area, literally next door to Santa Clara University.
Go Dogcows!

Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2004, 03:11 AM

www.bcp.org <--- the correct one. I can walk to SC in 5 minutes

okay maybe 80% are accepted that apply but probably less than 10% actually go because they got in to other colleges, SC is a safety net school for a lot of students here. (mostly because they don't want to go to college near their house.)

As I check the paper I can see the most modest condo is going for a little less than 1/2 million.....

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
$2.65 in near my work in San Francisco. Why is gas here more expensive than in Hawaii? And don't ask what people here pay for rent.

SomeToast
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by ankle_brains:
i am a renter. i pay $700/month for a 1 bedroom/1 bath in st. paul, mn
Upper half of a two bedroom/one bath duplex in Uptown, Minneapolis. Washer, drier, fireplace, large kitchen with dishwasher -- $725.

I'm a little concerned about being just across the river from AB, too.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2004, 02:08 AM

SC is a safety net school for a lot of students here.
You must have a lot of really smart colleagues.
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules