Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > other ipod 1.1 features..

other ipod 1.1 features..
neps
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 12:12 AM

just playing around with the new update, and so far so good.

i've noticed that loading a song seems faster. I would be in one song, and then I go and select a random song, and what used to take 5-10seconds takes 1-2. very nice!

anyone else notice any other imporvements?

I've never had the whine issue, or noticed it. so I'm not sure what the status of that is.

BobVB
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 03:25 AM

I was one of the MAJOR complainers about the 'whine' and after updating to 1.1 my test 'whine' files whine no more!

Could the have gotten everything right? (whine fix, easy access to specific time in file, faster buffering, and the bonus contact listing)

The only thing left is to see if larger than 20 meg files are properly buffered now without constant harddrive activity.

(oh and for those importing contacts from their Address Book, they don't need to use the applescript at all - just select the ones you want to import and drag them enmasse to the Contacts folder.)

Glad to see they finally got it right.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by BobVB:
<STRONG>
The only thing left is to see if larger than 20 meg files are properly buffered now without constant harddrive activity.
</STRONG>
I just tested it on a 25 meg file. Looks like the bug has been fixed. The hard drive no longer spins constantly.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 08:56 AM

Song loads are DEFINITELY faster. Also, long song titles scroll faster and without the occassional hiccup of the original software version. Even my longest titles scroll smoothly now, just like in iTunes. Nice.

Best new feature - Even better than Contacts - is the ability to press the centre button and have the where you are in the song indicator appear. You can then scroll to any point in the song quickly. No more holding FFWD or RWD endlessly, just to get to one particular point. Again, nice.

Gotta love having both time elapsed and time remaining on-screen all the time, too. This is a great update.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

poocat
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 11:19 AM

it does seem to take longer to boot,
but this update is definitely money!
it's got everything running better.

go apple go.
you restore my faith when things work well...

poocat.
(who's had his 5gigs and is still loving them...)
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
<STRONG>

I just tested it on a 25 meg file. Looks like the bug has been fixed. The hard drive no longer spins constantly.</STRONG>
i think 25MB used to be the limit, over that the HD spins. could you test it on a 40MB file? i'll try it myself tonight.
one post closer to five stars

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 12:59 PM

What exactly do you mean with "whine"? The dictionary says it means something like cry or weep...? My iPod never cried
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
<STRONG>Best new feature - Even better than Contacts - is the ability to press the centre button and have the where you are in the song indicator appear. You can then scroll to any point in the song quickly. No more holding FFWD or RWD endlessly, just to get to one particular point. Again, nice.</STRONG>
My iPod has skipped several times when switching between the progress bar and the 'where you are in the song indicator', even when I haven't made any attempt to fast forward or reverse the song. I think I see a bug!

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
<STRONG>

My iPod has skipped several times when switching between the progress bar and the 'where you are in the song indicator', even when I haven't made any attempt to fast forward or reverse the song. I think I see a bug! </STRONG>
Are you sure you didn't scroll by accident when pressing the center button? Mine doesn't skip, but i don't say it can't be a bug.
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by motti:
<STRONG>

Are you sure you didn't scroll by accident when pressing the center button? Mine doesn't skip, but i don't say it can't be a bug.</STRONG>
I'm still not 100% convinced that it isn't a software bug, but, if it isn't, there is still a hardware bug which is definitely the cause of this problem in some (all?) cases, namely that the middle button is not fixed, it scrolls with the scroll wheel. Why on earth did they design it like this!?

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>

i think 25MB used to be the limit, over that the HD spins. could you test it on a 40MB file? i'll try it myself tonight.</STRONG>
wow, appears to be fixed. no noise, no spinning hard drive, equalizer, and contacts. this is one great update.
now if i only had a remote...

one post closer to five stars

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2002, 10:12 AM

I am not sure if this is new, but I can see the screen better in the daytime with the backlight on. Before it was unreadable, now it looks like it has a inverted backlight. iPod is so freaking cool. I am thinking of getting the 10gig, b/c I am almost full. Anyone want to give me a good offer&gt;???

<neps>
Mar 22, 2002, 10:30 AM

when I put my headphones into my iPod, it automatically wakes up. Did this happen before 1.1 or is it a new update?

maguirer
Mar 22, 2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by &lt;neps&gt;:
<STRONG>when I put my headphones into my iPod, it automatically wakes up. Did this happen before 1.1 or is it a new update?</STRONG>
That sometimes happened to me a while ago, but very infrequently.

Also, in 1.1 you can set the sleep timer to up to 120 minutes now, and an indicator with a count down shows in the now playing screen.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by neps:
<STRONG>just playing around with the new update, and so far so good.

i've noticed that loading a song seems faster. I would be in one song, and then I go and select a random song, and what used to take 5-10seconds takes 1-2. very nice!

anyone else notice any other imporvements?

I've never had the whine issue, or noticed it. so I'm not sure what the status of that is.</STRONG>
i have noticed the loading of a song speeding up too but is it really faster...it seems to me it shows the song you selected faster but doesn't really start the song faster? maybe its just me. but i love the contacts option and also how it shows the time remaining and time elapsed. overall i think it was a great update.
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 11:59 AM

when I put my headphones into my iPod, it automatically wakes up. Did this happen before 1.1 or is it a new update?
and...

I am not sure if this is new, but I can see the screen better in the daytime with the backlight on. Before it was unreadable, now it looks like it has a inverted backlight.
I thought it was all in my head. I didn't notice either of these features before 1.1. Anybody else notice this stuff before the update?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

robgettier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 04:27 PM

I fear that this is a stupid question. But here it is anyway. (Bear in mind that I am 2-week iPod user.)

What exactly is shuffle by album going to do for me? Before the update if I wanted to shuffle an album, I would just select the album for play and have shuffle set to On. If I wanted to shuffle all the songs for an artist (or in other words all of the albums), I would just select All (under Artist) and have shuffle turned on.

Now under shuffle there is an option for Songs and Albums? I think I am missing something obvious. Someone please fill me in.
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.....lloyd dobler

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 22, 2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by robgettier:
<STRONG>I fear that this is a stupid question. But here it is anyway. (Bear in mind that I am 2-week iPod user.)

What exactly is shuffle by album going to do for me? Before the update if I wanted to shuffle an album, I would just select the album for play and have shuffle set to On. If I wanted to shuffle all the songs for an artist (or in other words all of the albums), I would just select All (under Artist) and have shuffle turned on.

Now under shuffle there is an option for Songs and Albums? I think I am missing something obvious. Someone please fill me in.</STRONG>
Shuffle by album plays all the songs in an album in order before moving on to the next album.

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: kennethmac2000 ]

André
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 11:56 AM

Hi,
Does anyone have this problem?
I've been listening to an audiobook of about 18 hrs long and I got to about 1 hour and 20 into it by just listening to it. But now I can't get back to where I left off.
I can get forward a little bit (about 20 minutes into the story is as far as I can get) but if I try to get further the Ipod jumps back to the beginning of the audiobook.

I've tried getting forward with the ffwd button and by pressing the centre button until I got the diamond bar and then using the circle wheel.

I've got an Ipod nano 4GB on version 1.1

I've also got some audiobooks of only an hour and I am able to navigate freely in those.

I've only bought it 4 days ago and I'd like to know if it's broken or if it's normal.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2006, 04:34 PM

Why is this obviously iPod thread in the Peripherals forum instead of the iPod forum? Aim a little better next time, ok? Moving...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 04:54 PM

hey Glenn, thanks for moving, but look at the date of the last post before Andres please

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 05:41 PM

zommmbiiiieeee!!!!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2006, 07:43 PM

Yike! What a goof! Sorry. I'll close this and it can stand as testimony to my confusion. And Andre-we do not allow posting to threads older than six months. Four years is WAY past that!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules