Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 29)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, but I said "get by." You really need slime balls? Glowstone? Not really. Diamonds help speed up the mining process but unless you need Obsidian, they're also not necessary. I'm thinking on brining a decent amount of coal and wood in addition to the rare ores. (Quiet, Blaze). I'll bring Lapiz because it's semi-rare, but I certainly don't need it (Or see what I'll be using it for). Honestly, the only need for gold and iron I'll have is to build track for transportation to other kingdoms.
I have 32 slime balls, never used a single one yet, so yeah, I think having them for sticky pistons will be quite useful, as well as not having to go to the nether right away for glowstone. Obsidian is just going to be brought to build my first portal without having to tediously mine.

I'm not going to bring lapiz, but you are more than welcome to snag my 3 or so stacks if you have the space.

My care package is as follows.
Iron Armor (4)
Diamond Pick
Diamond Sword
Diamond Shovel
Bow
Arrows (2)
Compass
Clock
Coal (4)
Wood (3)
Wheat (2)
Glass (2)
Wool (4)
Redstone (3)
Diamond
Gold (2)
Iron (3)
Glowstone
Obsidian
Slimeballs
Water-Filled Bucket

I figure Iron is very plentiful, so no need to load up on that. I might forgo the second stack of gold (only have 6 so far anyways) to take another stack of wood.

Past that it's my perfect collection to Minecraft the way I want to and have what I need right off the bat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 03:45 PM

Good call on the obsidian, but why bring tools if you can just bring the materials to build them?

Also, FFS:
Ugh, not to further the bitching, but it really sucks that 1.8 only came out 2 weeks ago and the worlds we created are not completely compatible now.

Sure, I can spawn new areas, but my tiny explored area is now an island with sheer cliffs in the center of a massive ocean.
Seeing as 1.9 will likely drop next week, guess we should hold on the seed thing. I really liked that seed. Almost enough to post an unsmiley face here.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 04:28 PM

I grabbed a copy of 1.7.3, but the freaking game auto-updated me without asking twice.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2011, 04:42 PM

Eh, so some semi-bad news... the terrain generation in 1.9 might be fairly different. Will try to research tonight.

Edit: The new list of blocks Endermen can move:

Their pick-up rate is still similar, though, I've heard.
Looks like I was right, plants and the basic punch-able blocks.

That seed looks fine to me. I'd like to claim the islands in the upper right depending on whats past them. That or I'll build in the sea to start. We'll see how well a passive mob grinder works in 1.9(?) I'm planning on using the pressure plate piston design so I don't need to carve a huge room. Though it will mean more work lighting up the caves.

Obsidian and lava buckets are on my list. I guess I need to spend some time mining obsidian. At least 8 but is seams a wast of a slot for only 8. Also enough redstone accessories to build a wheat farm. Also unless they fix the glitch, a sand generator.

Note to others, store your iron/gold/diamond/lapis as blocks not bars for 9 times the carrying capacity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Looks like I was right, plants and the basic punch-able blocks.
About as right as me. They lost the ability on wood, which was half the problem –– they were tearing up forests and turning them into swiss cheese.

That seed looks fine to me. I'd like to claim the islands in the upper right depending on whats past them.
Two things – the seed may not be compatible with 1.9 and I have to figure out the differences in the seed between what JB saw and what I did. (may just be orientation and area explored)

Also unless they fix the glitch, a sand generator.
Sorry if I asked this before, but sand generator?

Note to others, store your iron/gold/diamond/lapis as blocks not bars for 9 times the carrying capacity.
That is cripplingly good advice.

---

Check out this behemoth

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2011, 06:36 PM

Sorry if I asked this before, but sand generator?
Exploits a gravity + piston glitch to duplicate a sand or gravel block.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 06:52 PM

Check out this behemoth

AAGGGGHHHHHHHH, I want it...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Also, I'm 100% in favor of Oasis. It had everything we'd talked about except for NPC villages (which I'm sure are beyond the range of the map below).

Our maps of the seed don't seem to line up. Spawn should be the direct center of mine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 07:03 PM

Spawn was direct center of mine as well. What the crap?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 07:04 PM

Dakars map looks more like what I encountered.

Edit: Also I think it is safe to say that everyone is gonna want that awesome bowl-shaped mountain, god knows I do.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 07:13 PM

Yup, this is at 500/whatever/630.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Edit: Also I think it is safe to say that everyone is gonna want that awesome bowl-shaped mountain, god knows I do.
Good news, then, it's not from my seed, some dude on NeoGAF posted it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 07:30 PM

Good new, the seed looks superficially similar in 1.9. Somehow (Let's not count our Pre-releases before they are Final, however).

Edit: Oh, JB, capitalization matters. Oasis. Not OASIS or oasis (Seed: 75961771)

Edit 2: There are some distinct differences between 1.8 and 1.9 but sek's pic stayed the same.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 07:33 PM

Okay, something's weird. I just did another Oasis seed...

But definitely still pretty:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 07:35 PM

Good new, the seed looks superficially similar in 1.9. Somehow (Let's not count our Pre-releases before they are Final, however).
Huzzah!

Also, I can't claim an all out, real-life LOL at that, but I did smirk approvingly.

Edit: Oh, JB, capitalization matters. Oasis. Not OASIS or oasis (Seed: 75961771)
Oh, I know. Both times have been "Oasis"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 08:28 PM

Good call on the obsidian, but why bring tools if you can just bring the materials to build them?
Only because I just happen to have them already made and never used, I figure it'll help hollowing out my first what-have-yous.

Good call, that frees up another couple slots.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2011, 09:02 PM

blazemkiv.dyndns.org/Files/bin(dot)zip

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 11:52 PM

Finally got the seed right after uninstalling/reinstalling. Looks great.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 11:54 PM

404 - Not Found

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 12:02 AM

Well, twice tonight I lost everything I had mined.

First time, had all my goodies in my inventory (16gold 40 iron) and i got stuck in the cart so I disconnected and reconnected. When I returned I was back where I had started hours ago with my old inventory.

Second time was right after you signed off for the night Blaze, I lost 58 iron 22 gold and six diamonds from the chest near my mining operation.

Pretty much everything I did tonight was a complete waste.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 12:31 AM

What a wonderful return to Minecraft. Holy crap, that sucks.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2011, 06:55 AM

I think its the NIC. I'll replace your losses. Check the chests on the first floor of your first house. Also switch back to the MacPro.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Sep 23, 2011 at 08:28 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2011, 09:20 AM

Well, twice tonight I lost everything I had mined.

First time, had all my goodies in my inventory (16gold 40 iron) and i got stuck in the cart so I disconnected and reconnected. When I returned I was back where I had started hours ago with my old inventory.

Second time was right after you signed off for the night Blaze, I lost 58 iron 22 gold and six diamonds from the chest near my mining operation.

Pretty much everything I did tonight was a complete waste.
I hope you're doing this more out of boredom than thwarting the concept of "starting over."

I think its the NIC. I'll replace your losses. Check the chests on the first floor of your first house. Also switch back to the MacPro.
Well, let us know is there's anything we can do/donate.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2011, 11:45 AM

I hope you're doing this more out of boredom than thwarting the concept of "starting over."
That's why i'm gonna stuff it all in a chest first thing. Finding enough sheep for beds for everyone will be fun.
It's not like people haven't made it to the Nether within the first 20 minutes of the game.

Well, let us know is there's anything we can do/donate.
I doubt any of you have a server grade PCIe gigabit network card just laying around waiting to be thrown away.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 01:45 PM

A little bit of both, mostly I was testing out the grid-based system of mining, which as you can see, has yielded great results.

If it comes down to it, I would be willing to spend a little money for a dedicated server, just a thought.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 02:49 PM

Looks like the server was rolled back to a few days ago, thanks for the reimburse Blaze, but looks like I still have some mining to do!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2011, 02:55 PM

That's weird all i did was copy the entire directory. I'll check my obsidian supply to see on my end. Now that you know how well grid mining works, you can use the technique on the new world and not be desperate for ore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2011, 03:40 PM

A little bit of both, mostly I was testing out the grid-based system of mining, which as you can see, has yielded great results.

If it comes down to it, I would be willing to spend a little money for a dedicated server, just a thought.
You mean like this?

I doubt any of you have a server grade PCIe gigabit network card just laying around waiting to be thrown away.
Wait, let me empty out my pockets, I'm sure there's on in here somewhere...

...but seriously, I'm willing to give a donation. Your willingness to keep the server running and alive even when it was all but a ghost town was quite affable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2011, 03:59 PM

Pre-release (i.e., Beta Beta) has some cool glitches.

Multi-biome tree:

Edit: I'm going to work on an outline for our home town this weekend and then post pics for ratification.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 04:27 PM

You mean like this?
Pretty much, though Blaze told me to leave 3 blocks in between tunnels. Also right now I'm mining from 12-18 blocks above bedrock to maximize gold and diamond.

...but seriously, I'm willing to give a donation. Your willingness to keep the server running and alive even when it was all but a ghost town was quite affable.
Me too, I pay 60 dollars a game and 50 a year to play on Xbox LIve, this has been just as fun and pretty damn cheap comparatively.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 04:33 PM

That's weird all i did was copy the entire directory. I'll check my obsidian supply to see on my end. Now that you know how well grid mining works, you can use the technique on the new world and not be desperate for ore.
Desperate isn't the correct word, I'd have nearly as much iron as Dakar had I not built my expansive rail system. With us being 'close' together at the new map mining a huge area isn't going to be easy without running into someone else's property. So that's why I'm mining up a storm right now.

My third outpost was a glass dome I finished sometime two days ago, it's back to being a patch of dirt with a hatch. It's probably something to do with my other losses of the day, something was whacky for sure. It's no big deal though, at least this time the areas I mined are back to being un-mined, so I can just go get the gold and diamond again.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2011, 04:37 PM

Desperate isn't the correct word, I'd have nearly as much iron as Dakar had I not built my expansive rail system.
Indeed. You are certainly the Master Miner of our server (Didn't I give your non-existent statue a title to that effect?).

With us being 'close' together at the new map mining a huge area isn't going to be easy without running into someone else's property. So that's why I'm mining up a storm right now.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I feel like the the mines underneath the town should be "community" but I don't want to punish anyone who commits more time to working in them.

I suppose we could limit mining area under town directly to our plots.

Yeah, let's hear some suggestions on how to handle this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 05:07 PM

Count me in for a possible donation as well. I'm more than willing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2011, 05:59 PM

Yeah, let's hear some suggestions on how to handle this.
Before going all-out mining we should scout the boundaries of our plots underground. Anything within your plot is yours. Then there is the question of the arrangement of plots. If it is, say, two rows of three the middle plot will have less open border to unclaimed mining...if you catch my drift.

With 6 (?) plots this could be hard.

andi*pandi
Sep 23, 2011, 06:12 PM

I think it will be too hard to maintain borders underground in city limits, and I do not want to risk infringing. In the city, anything underground is fair game, first come first served?

Plus, as I found in the existing world, if we are all mining in the same place pickins become slim. I had better luck actually finding my own dungeons and ore when I went off to the wilderness. Then again, the wilderness was kind of lonely.

We will also need some designated space where it's ok to dig on the surface, if we are picking a site for its landscape we don't want to mess it up with terraforming.

How we will mark territory further in the suburbs I don't know, Great Wall of Dakaria 2.0? Hmm.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2011, 08:52 PM

There chatter about flags to mark territory and let you control who can break blocks in it, like how only OPs can do stuff in the spawn.

I'd say in the town area mining below level 30 is a fair game free for all. I don't expect to do much mining in that immediate area. Just a base camp for scouting out a nice ocean as a first base.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2011, 08:59 PM

You mean like this?

Wait, let me empty out my pockets, I'm sure there's on in here somewhere...

Almost like that only 3 wide and mine looks like a ladder from the top.
From the side it looks like this. Strait ahead you can see the rungs of the ladders alternating. On the right you can see the long shafts. You mine 8 along the shaft back up 4 and go across to the parallel shaft. There are 8 layers here.

andi*pandi
Sep 24, 2011, 09:39 PM

I forgot to mention, I am totally with the pitching in. Let me know paypal or something.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2011, 11:03 AM

1.9 preview is out already. We'll see what the 1.9 bug list looks like.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 12:57 PM

Oh boy, moving ever closer to the new map. I'm stocked up and ready.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2011, 01:25 PM

1.9 preview is out already. We'll see what the 1.9 bug list looks like.
The Pre-release that came out Thurs or Fri? Pretty damn solid from what I can tell. Haven't heard any bugs worth remembering.

Before going all-out mining we should scout the boundaries of our plots underground. Anything within your plot is yours. Then there is the question of the arrangement of plots. If it is, say, two rows of three the middle plot will have less open border to unclaimed mining...if you catch my drift.

With 6 (?) plots this could be hard.
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think it will be too hard to maintain borders underground in city limits, and I do not want to risk infringing. In the city, anything underground is fair game, first come first served?

Plus, as I found in the existing world, if we are all mining in the same place pickins become slim. I had better luck actually finding my own dungeons and ore when I went off to the wilderness. Then again, the wilderness was kind of lonely.

We will also need some designated space where it's ok to dig on the surface, if we are picking a site for its landscape we don't want to mess it up with terraforming.

How we will mark territory further in the suburbs I don't know, Great Wall of Dakaria 2.0? Hmm.
Well, I started on some mock-ups ...it's difficult. I evolved into a far too polished, advanced, resource intensive city, so I scrapped it.

My second idea, however, looks very promising, if you guys will accept it.
Firstly, we have to discuss what the point of this town is. We're talking mining, but I was under the impression this was sort a barebones haven, built with the sole purpose of giving us a safe house before we set off for new lands to found our respective kingdoms. Now that we're bringing an assload of resources with us, this seems to be the case more then ever.

So, with the ideas of new civilization, setting out on the frontier, and barebones, I think I came up with the ideal setting – an old western style town, sorta like Deadwood. Dirt roads (no grass), wooden sidewalks, wood buildings only a few of which even reach two stories.

Cool details would be including a graveyard for us to commemorate our deaths -– and going a step further, this graveyard will be built around -– our starting spawn.
I think a railway station should probably considered (if not added at a later date). And finally, scouting the areas, if we really need to, we'll have a path that leads to a community mine –– no mining in Town.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 03:42 PM

My second idea, however, looks very promising, if you guys will accept it.
Firstly, we have to discuss what the point of this town is. We're talking mining, but I was under the impression this was sort a barebones haven, built with the sole purpose of giving us a safe house before we set off for new lands to found our respective kingdoms. Now that we're bringing an assload of resources with us, this seems to be the case more then ever.
Agreed. I think we should then stick to our plot sizes for anything underground. My first house will be nothing more than a staging area to turn my brought resources into usable items. From there I simply must find a gorge/canyon/ravine, extra points for one with a lava fall and waterfall inside.

So, with the ideas of new civilization, setting out on the frontier, and barebones, I think I came up with the ideal setting – an old western style town, sorta like Deadwood. Dirt roads (no grass), wooden sidewalks, wood buildings only a few of which even reach two stories.
I like the idea of an old western town but I'm wary of using to much wood to build it. Wood is the number one most annoying resource to get (for me). I'm bringing 6 stacks which will be turned into crafting benches, chests, sticks, torches, tools, signs, etc etc etc. Of course, if our spawn is near woods then we can easily cut them down. At any rate I agree the 'homes' should be kept small. Not only to keep the community aesthetic, but to allow us to set up camp quicker.

I'd like to make use of Mossy Cobble in my home, with a wooden roof . Also, I think it might be cool if every home had a theme. Like Saloon or gun store or sherrif's office (Blaze's place). That way telling one house from another won't be so hard. I vote for my house to be the jail, complete with mossy cobble and iron bars.

I think a railway station should probably considered (if not added at a later date). And finally, scouting the areas, if we really need to, we'll have a path that leads to a community mine –– no mining in Town.
Excellent idea, we should factor in two rails, outgoing and incoming for all future endeavors. As for the mine that is also a great idea. We can set up a small cobble hut (or whatever) with beds and chests and whatnot (maybe a labeled chest for each of us) and whoever wants to can mine to their hearts content.

Now comes the task of coordinating the first effort. I doubt we will have all houses done in the first night so it seems right at spawn we should erect a quick safehouse and go from there.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2011, 04:58 PM

Someone hasn't been watching his westerns. I'd suggest "The Quick and the Dead" to start. The jail is in the back of the sheriffs office, and is usually the only stone walls in the entire place. The Western theme is great for a quick and dirty town seeing as its almost 100% wood construction and only 2 floors.

Do we have a seed chosen yet? Some close in pictures would be good, but really its just go 40m from the spawn and start building, 2 rows of plots 10 x 20 with a 10 wide road in the middle. Add in an 2m alley every 4 or 5 houses. Don't forget to leave a 3m space for the boardwalk.

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2011, 05:07 PM

Fence gates = Saloon doors

I call saloon. It can have a pig farm nearby.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2011, 05:09 PM

Yeah,I was thinking of stables.

ANyway, I have an outline started, I'll post pics when I get home, if I remember.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 05:22 PM

Basically, I'm left with a choice between the feed store and the brothel. Choices, choices...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 05:23 PM

Wait...nope. Courthouse.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2011, 05:33 PM

Depending on the size of the town, the Saloon was both brothel and courthouse.
We need also general store, a bank, houses for the prominent citizens.
The stables would probably have a blacksmith.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2011, 05:38 PM

Someone hasn't been watching his westerns. I'd suggest "The Quick and the Dead" to start.
C'mon, at least recommend a good western.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 06:03 PM

Good point.

Maybe the bank?

Forum Links
Forum Rules