Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 68)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well they didn't screw up their controller either. That's shouldn't be a worry, but in the face of everything else, yeah, good on them.
A few days ago I was talking with my brother who works at 2K Games. He's been working with the dev kits on both systems these past few months. I was surprised when he told me how much he hates the sticks on xbone controller. He said they felt flimsy and thought they might break during intense gameplay. He had nothing but praise for the PS4 controller though.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
A few days ago I was talking with my brother who works at 2K Games. He's been working with the dev kits on both systems these past few months. I was surprised when he told me how much he hates the sticks on xbone controller. He said they felt flimsy and thought they might break during intense gameplay. He had nothing but praise for the PS4 controller though.
Re-hee-heeally? What did he own/was his preference this gen?

Edit: THe rubber on first xbox controller literally cracked off the thumbstick.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 03:41 PM

On the current gen, he preferred the 360 controller over the PS3. I tell yeah, I was shocked when he kept gushing over how much he liked the PS4 controller.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 03:43 PM

On the current gen, he preferred the 360 controller over the PS3.
Do you guys ever game with him?

I tell yeah, I was shocked when he kept gushing over how much he liked the PS4 controller.
As someone who's judgement is currently impaired because he has to justify his $400 purchase to himself, this pleases me greatly.

Edit: Speaking of bias, apparently the guy who got the early Xbox One and got banned from Live informed everyone that Ghosts is not playable without an internet connection. So while the console level DRM is gone, its spectre still remains.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 03:57 PM

Do you guys ever game with him?
Occasionally. He is rarely on xbox live nowadays. (As with most of the people on my friend list.) All my local friends have jumped ship over to the PS3 these past couple of years. I'm assuming they will be upgrading to a PS4 soon.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 04:00 PM

I got a question. What if you didn't pre-order a PS4 yet? Will there still be some available if you wait in line at Walmart, Target or Best Buy?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 04:02 PM

I got a question. What if you didn't pre-order a PS4 yet? Will there still be some available if you wait in line at Walmart, Target or Best Buy?
Their intention is to hold back units so some are on shelves, I don't know why. But I imagine that'd be worse than ordering online and waiting. That's people living in tents waiting territory.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 05:01 PM

You can't wake the PlayStation 4 with voice commands, but you can shut it off
the PlayStation 4's camera / mic array can only interpret a handful of relatively basic voice commands. The console can't be "woken" while in standby mode by voice, for instance, nor can you command a video playing on Netflix to pause. In fact, at launch, none of the third-party apps on the PlayStation 4 will allow for voice commands -- something Sony reps tell us they "hope" more apps will integrate in the future. The console can be turned off using voice, and you can command it to open games.
Why can't we do this with the headset?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 06:40 PM

Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 1 is getting hammered in reviews because it's so short.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One for PC Reviews - Metacritic

I seem to recall another game (wasn't even DLC) that was only 2 hrs long yet people loved. Something about magical holes and an evil computer. I think it even got a sequel!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2013, 07:39 PM

P
Nov 12, 2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I seem to recall another game (wasn't even DLC) that was only 2 hrs long yet people loved. Something about magical holes and an evil computer. I think it even got a sequel!
Portal launched as part of The Orange Box ($50) in a bundle with Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2: Episode 2. You also got the original Half Life 2 and Half Life 2: Episode 1, although most people probably had them if they were interested in the box. there was moaning about that as well at the time, that they had to pay $50 for three games instead of five. Portal has since been given away numerous times, including to any new Steam user at the time of the Mac launch. In this case, it's one short piece of DLC for $15, and it's still only "Episode 1". It seems excessive for what you get.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 1 is getting hammered in reviews because it's so short.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One for PC Reviews - Metacritic

Apples and Oranges.

Edit: P has me covered

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 10:41 AM

The New Amazon Playstation Network Store
This is the new Amazon Playstation Network Store, an alternate venue to purchase digital Playstation content for Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and Playstation Vita.
I'll be curious as to price disparities, if they occur. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the point is. Maybe trying to get people in based on brand familiarity.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2013, 11:55 AM

The New Amazon Playstation Network Store

I'll be curious as to price disparities, if they occur. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the point is. Maybe trying to get people in based on brand familiarity.
Would you rather have your CC info on Amazon or Sony servers?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 02:15 PM

Noted bastion of MS money Polygon released its Ghosts review and the results are... hilarious

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference.
Legitimately, the PS4 has slight framerate drops compared the X1 version, which doesn't surprise me as the power differential between 720p and 1080p is much wider than the gap in power between the two consoles. I was left wondering why one of them was at 900p, as that would have made the gap more reasonable.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Would you rather have your CC info on Amazon or Sony servers?

Another note: free-to-play shooter PlanetSide 2 is releasing on PS4 in 2014, and is actually getting pretty good reviews. It looks like it might be what Dust 514 was supposed to be.

PlanetSide 2 for PC Reviews - Metacritic

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Another note: free-to-play shooter PlanetSide 2 is releasing on PS4 in 2014, and is actually getting pretty good reviews. It looks like it might be what Dust 514 was supposed to be.

PlanetSide 2 for PC Reviews - Metacritic
I listed it in the what are you buying thread as something I'm looking forward to. I figure I can putz around with the FTP games if I start dying to play something other than BF4 in the interim.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2013, 02:43 AM

The Playstation app is out now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/play...410896080?mt=8

Nicely done. Nice when I want to see who is online without actually powering the system on. Downloading games remotely to the system will be nice for my Instant Game Collection when at work.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 11:01 AM

Sp it looks like hardware embargo for the PS4 broke. Polygon went so far as to give their review a numerical score and then penalize it for its software line-up. That makes loads of sense...

But the general consensus is that the PS4 software line-up is lacking, and I don't disagree. 'Course, that probably applies to all launches. I don't remember any must haves for the PS2 launch, either.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 11:41 AM

Impressions: Our first day with the PlayStation 4 is full of surprises | Ars Technica
All right, time to throw in a game and see about this mandatory hard drive installation that’s a feature of every PlayStation 4 game. Of course, it wouldn't be a Sony system if I didn't have to install a system update with the very first disc I put in. Yes, the system isn't even out or connected to the Internet yet, but it still made me copy and install firmware version 1.06 from the disc before I could even install Killzone (Day One players that download the 1.5 version of the firmware won’t have to do an additional install… but still). The firmware update took a few minutes of un-multitaskable file copying, installation, and resetting. You know the drill if you’ve ever used a PS3.

When I came back to the freshly reset system and tried to launch the game, I was a bit surprised to see an installation progress bar that was already about two-fifths complete. It seems that the system automatically started copying the disc data to my hard drive before I even launched it (I was able to confirm this in further tests).

That's a nice, user-centric touch that shows Sony seems to care about getting players into the game as quickly as possible despite the installs. From the moment a disc first hits the system to the moment it starts to load, the whole install process lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to just under a minute, depending on the game. Once the game launched, there was sometimes a few more minutes of additional installation before multiplayer modes were ready to go, but for players launching a single player game for the first time, the process was barely noteworthy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post

Nicely done. Nice when I want to see who is online without actually powering the system on. Downloading games remotely to the system will be nice for my Instant Game Collection when at work.
I didn't even know it was released. Sony needs to get the word out. It would be nice if they put an ad on the PSN Store screen for Friday.

Sp it looks like hardware embargo for the PS4 broke. Polygon went so far as to give their review a numerical score and then penalize it for its software line-up. That makes loads of sense...

But the general consensus is that the PS4 software line-up is lacking, and I don't disagree. 'Course, that probably applies to all launches. I don't remember any must haves for the PS2 launch, either.
I saw the Polygon review up this morning, and all it inspired was an eye roll. The launch line-up looks a little better if you use Destructoid's 9.0 review for Killzone: SF instead of Polygon's 5.0.

The rest of the lineup is undoubtedly lacking, but people will be lining up to play the multi-platform releases anyways. FIFA, BF4, CoD, NBA2K, Madden — they'll all sell.

As for PS2's launch lineup:

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Surfing H3O
Swing Away Golf
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad
I remember picking up Madden, and that was it until I read that SSX was actually good.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Nov 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 12:00 PM

I remember SSX being claimed as the only game worth noting. Also, that list looks a little long. All of those were available Day 1?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post

Oh good, I can finally add people since I couldn't through their website. What's your PSN?

Also, I've set friend requests to a few other members who listed their IDs in the PSN thread.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2013, 12:24 PM

I remember SSX being claimed as the only game worth noting. Also, that list looks a little long. All of those were available Day 1?
Yep. The first list was from WIkipedia. The second I checked was from IGN.

What's your PSN?
Brace yourself for a lot of Vs and Is.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2013, 12:37 PM

Sony is backing off of the no-MP3 or CD stance:

The PS4 team in Japan is figuring out the best way to implement the missing media features, Yoshida said: "We didn't really think about MP3 or CD. We thought, 'We're going to do that eventually ....' It caught us off-guard. People don't really talk about these features, right? Some people get really mad and [say,] 'I'll cancel my pre-order!' So as we speak, people in Japan – the system guys – are discussing when we can put these features in."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 03:16 PM

So it looks like NeoGAF members have started receiving (and using) PS4s. 24 cold boot by one members test. just over 400 GB usable out of the box.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2013, 03:18 PM

Looks like I'm definitely going to be installing a 1TB drive. I'll probably wait for next year though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 03:28 PM

1TB doesn't sound like it'll get you through the gen. I'll wait til it gets near full then see whats priced reasonably.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2013, 04:20 PM

Per Joystiq's recommendation, it might be wise for those of us with PS4 pre-orders to download the firmware update to a USB stick via Sony's official link.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2013, 04:45 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 11:20 AM

Of course, I expect that it will ship late tomorrow at the earliest (if the arrival estimate is to be believed) making this downright cruel.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 11:39 AM

News: Sony investigating reported PS4 hardware issues - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
The first issue was reported by Kotaku editor Stephen Totilo, who claims: "The first retail PS4 we got from Sony didn't work".

"In the past week, my Kotaku colleagues and I have used one pre-release PS4 and three retail PS4s with no problems. I've also heard from fellow gaming reporters who've used their PS4s with no problems.

"But the first retail unit that Sony provided me failed to work when I plugged it into a TV in Kotaku's office. A colleague and I were able to compare it to a second PS4 that did work and we found that the issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn't fully plug an HDMI cable into.
"It may not have contributed to the issue, but ours stopped working the morning after we updated to version 1.50. Furthermore, IGN tried a wide variety of methods to correct the issue: new HDMI cables, new inputs, new TV, putting a disc into the system, connecting it to and from the Internet, and, of course, holding down the power button during boot-up for seven seconds to try to reset things. Nothing worked. Oddly enough, we tried adding light pressure to the top of console and it briefly flickered a few active home menu images on the television."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2013, 03:12 PM

Well...crap.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 03:21 PM

Well...crap.
Not to underplay it, but we're talking 8-12 reported instances out of an estimated 4000 sent out early. And no hardware will be 100% reliable.

Tomorrow will prove far more interesting when the mass really hits.

SOmeone noted, and I think aptly, that if social media had been around for the 360 launch, RROD might have killed it in the crib.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 07:12 PM

So, uh, this is a little weird but I'm gonna bring it up anyway. There's an Antonio Banderas meme that NeoGAF has adopted in reference to all the positive flashy stuff the PS4 does:

NeoGAF ran away with it, so much so they have a thread dedicated to all its incarnations, such as:

Anyway the reason I bring it up is some people have been hinting that something Banderas-related might occur at the official launch tonight, and honestly if that happens I'd be immeasurably impressed that Sony was paying enough attention to integrate a meme from a gaming forum into the festivities as a wink of approval at their enthusiasm.

If it happens.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2013, 09:40 PM

Anyway the reason I bring it up is some people have been hinting that something Banderas-related might occur at the official launch tonight, and honestly if that happens I'd be immeasurably impressed that Sony was paying enough attention to integrate a meme from a gaming forum into the festivities as a wink of approval at their enthusiasm.

If it happens.
Alright...that would be incredible.

Tretton and Yoshida have consistently proclaimed that the PS4 is the amalgamation of all the true Sony fans' requests, so that could be an incredible cherry atop the proverbial sundae.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 10:21 AM

As far as I can tell (just got on) this was the surprise – a Yoshida homage

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 10:29 AM

My PS4 finally shipped this morning (well is slated to be shipped. According to UPS they haven't picked it up yet). Delivery set for MOnday, since UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays. I'm thinking if it gets to the UPS facility by quitting time today, I'll try and just pick it up there tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 10:58 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 11:56 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 12:00 PM

This is like when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson filmed that Converse commercial together...

Microsoft Tweets Sony Congratulations on PS4 Launch - IGN

And...

This was expected, right?

Sony has urged fans to be patient while the US and Canadian PSN experiences issues following the launch of the PlayStation 4.

A number of new PlayStation 4 owners have contacted IGN saying they're encountering the error numbers NW-31453-6 or NP-3500-8, along with text explaining "The network connection has been lost".

Sony responded to the issue on its support site and through Twitter. Though the response has been removed, as you can see below it explains that an extremely high number of people are trying to log on and download firmware 1.50 for their new console.
I just hope it's not a harbinger of things to come.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Jawbone54;4257553]This is like when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson filmed that Converse commercial together...

Microsoft Tweets Sony Congratulations on PS4 Launch - IGNThat is nothing like filing a commercial together but its magnanimous.

And...

This was expected, right?

I just hope it's not a harbinger of things to come.
Of course it was expected. I think xmas day will be worse.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 12:18 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 12:36 PM

ifixit.com continued their great work with a tear-down of the PS4, giving it an 8/10 rating for repairability.

I'm hoping P visits this thread soon to answer a question for me. I've bookmarked a 2.5" 1TB 7200 rpm SATA III drive on Amazon, but I'm wondering if there will be any issues since the PS4 uses a SATA II drive out of the box. I've read that SATA III is backwards-compatible, similar to that of USB 3.0 to USB 2.0, but I'd much prefer to hear the opinion of someone that knows what they're talking about.

Also, will the 7200 rpm drive generate more heat? Heat seems to have been the only thing that killed my original PS3 after several years.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 12:38 PM

ifixit.com continued their great work with a tear-down of the PS4, giving it an 8/10 rating for repairability.

I'm hoping P visits this thread soon to answer a question for me. I've bookmarked a 2.5" 1TB 7200 rpm SATA III drive on Amazon, but I'm wondering if there will be any issues since the PS4 uses a SATA II drive out of the box. I've read that SATA III is backwards-compatible, similar to that of USB 3.0 to USB 2.0, but I'd much prefer to hear the opinion of someone that knows what they're talking about.

Also, will the 7200 rpm drive generate more heat? Heat seems to have been the only thing that killed my original PS3 after several years.
Did you catch this though: PS4 Teardown Reveals An Extra 2Gb Of DDR3 RAM, Universal Power Supply

the PS4 has an extra 2Gb of DDR3 RAM, a system teardown by iFixIt has revealed. This extra 2Gb – that’s really 256MB, 2 Gigabit rather than 2 Gigabyte – is suspected to be used for background processes on the secondary processor.
People suspect this is for the streaming/game capture, and it's how the PS4 can do 15 min and isn't as juddery as the X1s. Well played, Sony.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 12:47 PM

Did you catch this though: PS4 Teardown Reveals An Extra 2Gb Of DDR3 RAM, Universal Power Supply

People suspect this is for the streaming/game capture, and it's how the PS4 can do 15 min and isn't as juddery as the X1s. Well played, Sony.
Holy crap, I missed that. That's absolutely huge. Bravo.

And way to keep it under their hat.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 12:49 PM

It should be noted 2Gb is 256 MB of RAM. Still, if it takes the burden off the main processor for background tasks (like, I don't know, opening your Dashboard) I'll be pumped.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 12:53 PM

My friend who live here camped out at the nearest Walmart this morning and picked up a PS4 with Black Flag and FIFA. I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow morning, but I'm excited to see the interface in person.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 12:54 PM

Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 renders at 900p, future update will boost to native 1080p - Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag for PS4 News
The PlayStation 4 version of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag currently outputs natively at 900p, Ubisoft has revealed, with a future title update set to offer full native 1080p visuals.

In an update on the UbiBlog, Ubisoft communications manager Gary Steinman explained that "players will need to download a title update (available shortly after release) to enjoy the full 1080p native resolution.
"The team then used the time between the ship date and the release to focus on a title update that could deliver native 1080p resolution on the PS4."

The update also introduces a "brand-new anti-aliasing technique" that will offer "an even cleaner, clearer and more brilliant moving image".
I'm sensing a pattern forming here.

P
Nov 15, 2013, 01:49 PM

The standard is very clear: They are completely compatible in both directions. In practice this doesn't always mean that it works (try using an SSD with a Sandforce 1200 controller with Intel's latest 8-series chipset, for instance - fails because the old Sandforce drive doesn't follow the standard completely) but even that should not be an issue here. Both consoles use standard AMD south bridges this time around, so it should even be a standard SATA controller that has shipped in a few million PCs already. It's of course possible that Sony has somehow managed to mess up the driver, but there is no increased risk from going with SATA III over SATA II.

Yes, but only marginally - 2.5" drives run extremely cool these days in general. If you're worried about heat, make it a habit to clean out the vent grilles regularly instead - that's what usually kills electronics.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules