Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! PowerBook Superdrive Problem

Help! PowerBook Superdrive Problem
mikills
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 04:44 PM

The superdrive on my 15" Titanium PowerBook has just stopped accepting discs after a year of flawless operation. Upon each insertion of a disc (no matter what type) the superdrive makes a few noises and then spits the disc out.

I've tried repairing permissions, resetting the nvram and booting from the hardware test CD - which also gets ejected upon insertion. Nothing works.

I've checked the Apple discussion groups to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sincere thanks,
Michael
1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4 | 1GB RAM | 40GB Hard Drive | MCE SuperDrive Upgrade | MacOS 10.4.9

2.33GHz MacBook Pro | 3GB SDRAM | 160GB Hard Drive | MacOS 10.4.9

Sprint Treo 650 | Cingular Blackberry 8700c

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2003, 07:22 PM

A lens cleaner?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Seqiro
Nov 30, 2003, 07:55 PM

My wife's slot loading iMac started doing that a few weeks ago. Ended up having to replace the drive.

mikills  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 11:23 PM

Any other suggestions? I smacked the top of the laptop, right above the superdrive, and it's working again. Sounds like a loose cable? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael
1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4 | 1GB RAM | 40GB Hard Drive | MCE SuperDrive Upgrade | MacOS 10.4.9

2.33GHz MacBook Pro | 3GB SDRAM | 160GB Hard Drive | MacOS 10.4.9

Sprint Treo 650 | Cingular Blackberry 8700c

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2003, 01:02 AM

You could always open 'er up and check the connection. Of course I don't recommend it but if you're good with a toolkit you can do it.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 02:41 AM

My TiBook's SD stopped working and Apple replaced it under AppleCare... The failure was slow -- first, it stopped burning some brands of DVD-Rs... then it stopped burning all brands of DVD-Rs... then it stopped burning CD-Rs... at that point, it was "convenient" to ship to Texas for repair.

Good luck.

Ω
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 07:25 AM

Bad drive, applecare, replace!

From day one I had this problem. The gradual slide downhill forced me to get it fixed. Have a "super"drive, never use it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules