Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Pro

New MacBook Pro
Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2010, 10:49 AM

Any guesses as to when the next update in MacBook Pro is scheduled?

My old PowerBook is about gone but I wanted to wait to get the latest version of MacBook Pro

Thanks
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2010, 11:18 AM

Well the current crop have been out almost 7 months now. I think most people would guess at February for another update. That would be my guess anyway, but you never know.

I'm not aware of any mind-blowing tech waiting to go into these units. It'll be a minor speed bump more than likely. 13" will probably get a higher resolution panel, not sure if the bigger ones will too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2010, 05:06 PM

First quarter is possible, second quarter seems more likely since Apple has been dragging their feet the last couple cycles on laptop updates.

P
Nov 24, 2010, 05:16 PM

We had this discussion not long ago. My guess was anywhere from March to May, and the update is likely to include Sandy Bridge processors and higher res displays.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

KJT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2010, 08:58 PM

USB 3.0, faster firewire, which are already in place, I believe. They update AIR, the iPods, (except Classic), the iPhone, so I would say updates soon. The last spontaneous press conf. from Mr Jobs seemed to hint that he was keeping the MBP and working on an update soon.

Isn't there a new OS called LION or are they already installing that. I could be way off, but I read the last OS update for SL (10.6.5) was it before Lion takes over. I guess this is a hardware thread so sorry.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2010, 12:35 AM

I don't expect USB3 or faster Firewire.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2010, 01:08 AM

Ditto. Definitely no USB3.

-t

KJT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2010, 01:54 AM

they are already coming and some MacBook Pro are being made with them now. A report that LaCie brings USB 3.0 hard drive support. do you guys listen much to the Apple supported Mac podcasts? It is MacBook Pro and MacBook that are next in line.

come on, listen to the Fresh-Faced Recruit. lol

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2010, 02:09 AM

No USB3.

Maybe LightPeak, but my guess is LP next Mac Pro update and in th MacBook Pro AFTER that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2010, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by KJT View Post
do you guys listen much to the Apple supported Mac podcasts?
Apple supported ? Right

-t

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'm not aware of any mind-blowing tech waiting to go into these units.
Really? Because I'm sure the new MBPs will have both conventional HD and the tiny SSDs from the Air line.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2010, 05:40 AM

Adding the Air-style SSDs to the MBP line would be handy but I can't help but think its something they could/should have done quite a long time ago.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 25, 2010, 06:06 AM

USB 3.0, faster firewire, which are already in place, I believe. They update AIR, the iPods, (except Classic), the iPhone, so I would say updates soon. The last spontaneous press conf. from Mr Jobs seemed to hint that he was keeping the MBP and working on an update soon.
Apple never updates hardware in December. Never. Too short time to ramp up production before Christmas, and Apple sells mainly consumer stuff now. They used to update some things like the MP in January, but it's been a while since, and why do that now with Sandy Bridge two months out.

USB 3.0 is a possibility, but highly unlikely. One of Jobs' infamous emails commented on it, basically saying that Apple won't bother until Intel puts it in their chipsets or it is clear that the market favors it. The current generation chipsets don't have it, the next generation (P67 is the first) won't have it. The one after that isn't due until Ivy Bridge in more than a year from now. If Apple does add it with a spearate chip before then, the laptops are the last to get it, as the motherboards are too crowded already.

Firewire 1600 or 3200? Could be, but after the MP gets it.

Isn't there a new OS called LION or are they already installing that. I could be way off, but I read the last OS update for SL (10.6.5) was it before Lion takes over. I guess this is a hardware thread so sorry.
10.6.5 is not the last update to SL, as 10.6.6 is already in beta. Apple has shown 4 features of Lion and haven't shown anything to developers yet. Lion is far off yet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Really? Because I'm sure the new MBPs will have both conventional HD and the tiny SSDs from the Air line.
Crappy SSD on a miniPCIe card is hardly mind blowing.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2010, 09:58 PM

Sandy Bridge is scheduled for CES Jan 6 so the Win laptops will be out around then. Apple is not likely to lag too far behind if at all so I think Jan/Feb will be the time frame. I will be replacing my 2007 17" C2D and what I expect is both SSD and large hard drive in the box in addition to quad-core i7. What I wish for is access to 16 GB RAM or more and a really strong GPU. Heat may mediate all those wishes but we shall see...

Since mobility is where the money is I see no reason to expect Apple to hold anything back from the top of the mobility line just to wait for MP upgrades. Look how they gave hot CPUs to the (non-mobile mobility) iMacs.

FW 1600 or 3200 could easily happen because Apple does like to differentiate its boxes from the unwashed Win masses, has always used FW to do it and because at the high end i/o is a major limiting factor for graphics users like me. Of course, eSATA is available now via EC/34 and for faster FW to be beneficial we need FW 1600/3200 peripherals to connect to; it would probably take OWC at least a week to make the drives available .

Note none of the above are "mind-blowing tech." How much of the relatively mundane gets put in one box is what could make for a very cool synergistic total.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Nov 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM. )

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2010, 01:04 AM

Another reason to make me feel worse for buying computer from Best Buy and getting 1440x900 display :/ I got an i7 MBP that's already outdated cause I haven't forked out another 100 to get the high res display...
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2010, 05:17 AM

You're buying a piece of digital tech.

Expect it to be obsoleted the second you drive off the parking lot.

The only reasonable criterion when buying a computer is whether it is worth the money TO YOU that you are prepared to spend on it AT THE TIME.

If you personally are getting your money's worth when you buy it, go home, put the blinders on, be happy, and enjoy your kick-ass computer. Nothing about that will change until the machine falls apart or you decide to sell it for gear lust.

BionicDissonance
Baninated
Nov 28, 2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
Another reason to make me feel worse for buying computer from Best Buy and getting 1440x900 display :/ I got an i7 MBP that's already outdated cause I haven't forked out another 100 to get the high res display...
If you look at it that way, you shouldn't have bought a Mac in the first place. Apple's usually late to the game with adding new features to any of their products, and what they do add is often laughed at in the PC realm as being "the stuff we already had six months ago! LOL!"

Just enjoy your machine and get your money's worth out of it. God knows Steve Jobs won't mind you sending him more hooker money for a slightly updated machine.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Crappy SSD on a miniPCIe card is hardly mind blowing.
Having both on a system could provide for the best of both tech.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Having both on a system could provide for the best of both tech.
Having the best of both requires having the best. Apple's SSDs are not.

P
Nov 28, 2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Sandy Bridge is scheduled for CES Jan 6 so the Win laptops will be out around then. Apple is not likely to lag too far behind if at all so I think Jan/Feb will be the time frame. I will be replacing my 2007 17" C2D and what I expect is both SSD and large hard drive in the box in addition to quad-core i7. What I wish for is access to 16 GB RAM or more and a really strong GPU. Heat may mediate all those wishes but we shall see...
That might happen in the top-of-the-line BTO 17", if you're lucky. 16 GB RAM ceiling will be VERY expensive to reach though, if it's possible - you'd need 2 8GB SO-DIMMs.

Since mobility is where the money is I see no reason to expect Apple to hold anything back from the top of the mobility line just to wait for MP upgrades. Look how they gave hot CPUs to the (non-mobile mobility) iMacs.
The iMacs are not made using mobile CPUs any more, and new interfaces have always come first to the MP. I also don't really see the need for more external bandwidth now, especially if Light Peak is coming.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2010, 07:11 PM

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by BionicDissonance View Post
If you look at it that way, you shouldn't have bought a Mac in the first place. Apple's usually late to the game with adding new features to any of their products, and what they do add is often laughed at in the PC realm as being "the stuff we already had six months ago! LOL!"

Just enjoy your machine and get your money's worth out of it. God knows Steve Jobs won't mind you sending him more hooker money for a slightly updated machine.
True, but I don't really care about anything but the stuff that's already been available the time I bought it and haven't selected it. I realize that the high res screen only adds about an inch horizontally and 1.5 inch diagonally of viewing space, but it's always a nice touch when you use laptop as your main computer. That is without going to 17"

Looking at my iPhone 4, I find the 1440x900 screen a little cheap. You can still see the pixels even in the 1680x1050, but things are a lot smaller.
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2010, 08:51 PM

I hope for a new case design too. what i need is a great graphics card so i can play a pc game occasionally. on the other hand i need a long battery life for when being on the road. the air hasnt got a replaceable battery so the mba is no option for me. my harddisks are all fw 800, i hope i can still use those.
i dont need a media drive, optical drives are passe. I prefer lower res torrent downloads. for emergencies i will connect an external burner.
but the media bay would be nice to store an extra ssd (or 2tb 2,5" harddisk)
as for the ssd, i hope for 275 mb/s transfer speeds, and drives larger than 256.
15" is the best mbp screen, at home i hook up with a 26" external. and normal dvi port, so i dont have to mind remembering to bring the cables in my bag

the space won by leaving out mediadrive and normal harddisk should be used for more batterylife
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 12:49 AM

I have the impression there's a tiny bit of a screen improvement from generation to generation.

Just looked at the MacBook Air screen - really impressive for a laptop screen.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2010, 12:28 PM

I am amazed with the screen improvements, the MBA 13" now has the same resolution as my MBP 2.4 Alu 2.4Ghz 15"

I am awaiting the new macbook pro 2011 very much
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2010, 02:09 PM

I'm hoping for something substantial. I've been on my current MacBook for 25 months now. And a year before that I purchased a white MacBook, which was also a 2GHz C2D.

I'm feeling stagnant, which isn't good for my nerd credibility.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That might happen in the top-of-the-line BTO 17", if you're lucky. 16 GB RAM ceiling will be VERY expensive to reach though, if it's possible - you'd need 2 8GB SO-DIMMs.
In 2007 I paid $440 to take my C2D MBP to its max of 3 GB RAM and it was worth it. RAM prices continue to fall and I am willing to pay $500 to get 16 GB in 2011 if necessary. I just hope Apple can build a 17" whole package that can take the heat of SSD + 7200 rpm drive plus 16 GB RAM.

Given that already today i/o is often the limiting factor for graphics MBP usage I consider i/o improvements very important. I would just love to get a Light Peak box.

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 12:34 AM

The other thing I would like would be to lose the black keyboard. It really grates on me.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2010, 08:31 AM

The other thing I would like would be to lose the black keyboard. It really grates on me.
I personally like the black keyboard but it does need the backlight. The MBA with the black keyboard and no backlight makes typing in low light situations difficult. Presentations, night flights, and any other low light situation.
~Mike

P
Dec 12, 2010, 03:56 PM

Some of you may remember that I asked for backlit keyboard suggestions in the iMac forum a while back. Well, I did pick one (a Logitech model whose model number escapes me for the moment), but after trying it out, I've found that the original white keyboard is actually way better. The only situation when the backlit one works better is if I'm gaming and it's a game with a very dark display (Sins of a Solar Empire comes to mind), but with a reasonably bright screen, the white keyboard is far superior. The screen illuminates it.

dennisuello
Dec 29, 2010, 02:06 PM

Just sold my 2007 15" MBP C2D, now the wait begins. This is going to painful with just a Win box on my desktop, at least I have my iPad.

Does anyone know what video processor might be in the next 13" MBP?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2010, 02:11 PM

Intel integrated.

See you in April.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2010, 06:25 PM

Intel (GMA?) HD 200 to be exact.

Forum Links
Forum Rules