Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OSX Auto Ejecting Internal HDD (Mac Pro 1.1)

OSX Auto Ejecting Internal HDD (Mac Pro 1.1)
Gabe86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2010, 11:46 AM

I have been having this issue on and off for about 2 weeks now.

I'll boot the machine and my work volume "INHS" won't appear on the desktop with the other drives. Then if I open disk utility sometimes it will mount the drive and sometimes it will show the manufacturer name on the list of drives but there will be a faded external drive icon below it with a generic label on it like "drive" with a digit after it. Essentially telling me that OSX is aware there is a physical drive connected to the machine but is unable to mount the logical partition on it for some reason. Sometimes OSX will sporadically dismount the drive and cough up an error saying that it was improperly ejected, as if I actually opened my machine while running and ripped the drive out. This also occurs after coming out of sleep. I'm not sure what this problem could be but it seems strange to me that it only happens to one of three drives in my machine.

So far I have booted from the SL disc and repaired all disks/permissions and reset the PRAM/VRAM at boot. It seems to have stabilized since the reset. The drive that unmounts is only a file drive, no OS installed on it or anything although it is formatted as extended (journaled).

Anybody had this issue before? What is the cause?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 8, 2010, 01:46 PM

What is the SMART status for that drive? You can see this in Disk Utility if you click on the hardware icon for the drive.

It could be caused by an erratic cable connection, except your Mac Pro doesn't use cables. Try reseating the drive.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 02:50 PM

Sounds like a flaky drive to me.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 03:29 PM

Yup. I experienced similar symptoms before a backup drive died outright.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules